GMHBA Health Insurance

• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (5)
    • 2-4 weeks (1)
    • 3+ months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (4) · No (3)

Misleading Money Back Guarantee Claims

Lisam
Lisam

Good policy zero customer service

I have been happy with cover but changing providers. I moved interstate and the updated policy had incomprehensible wording on ambulance cover. Emails went unanswered fir weeks unable to get thru on phone. Last time I had issue same deal, took weeks or emails and calls to fix a simple thing. Don't have the time.

kirbrit
kirbritSydney, NSW

GMHBA - try cancelling!!!

Got email from GMHBA saying they're re-activating my account that I told them I cancelled after their ridiculous prices where expensive gaps still need to be paid.
Called them .. talked to someone after a wait. Got a load of questions as to why I'm cancelling. Suddenly he was having trouble hearing me when I persisted on the cancellation after he "offered" a lower rate. He hung up.
Rang back .. option 1 .. hung up
Rang back .. took option 2 to get around the hang ups .. got to the same point ... also having trouble hearing me .. hung up.
Nothing wrong with the phone. I don't think this mob wish to hear about cancellations. The "line" goes dodgy when the answer is no.

VVV
VVV

Terrible!

Paul
Paul

Good company slow each year with Tax Statements

Each year this fund is late collating statements for ATO last year was 21st of July 2021. Operator unhelpful when I enquired so I can do a tax return. Told me they were aiming for 8th of July but not really sure. Fund us ok just they put premiums up for existing members but gave new members 6 weeks free. They also didn’t rebate like some other funds due to Covid. Sadly I will have to change funds for a better deal.

Old boyNarrabundah 2604, ACT

Good fund if Victorian based

I have been with GMHBA a long time. Great service and reasonably priced. However after heart surgery I received Pathology Bills close to $2,000 from Capital Pathology ( I am a ACT resident) ...GMHBA do not have a no fee agreement with them. Most funds do. Always confused whether Ambulance is covered or not. No confusion with most other funds. Would get a better deal with dental/specs if I lived in Vic. Anyway, I think they are a great fund but maybe not for ACT residents.

Kerry King

Nathan S.7 Feb 2020
australian-government-rebates-incentives-for-private-health-insurance
Stuart
StuartGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Just another Insurer that takes and gives little in return.

Policy was not good value. A recent experience showed me that GMHBA offered me nothing more than my previous Insurer, I was extremely disappointed in the service provided. Not happy.

Jann
JannHunter Region, NSW

Policy compares well but dodgy accounting problems

Reasonably priced policy. We usually pay annually, but with Covid issues, decided to go monthly. That got annoying, so we enquired re paying the balance of the year i.e. 9 months. Following month we recieved a dishonour fee from the bank. GMHBA had tried to withdraw 12 months payment for 9 months cover. Finally rectified that issue and paid for 1 month. The next month, same thing...dishonour fee, attempted payment for 12 months, this time for 8 months cover. We demanded they compensate both dishonour fees...so far only recieved one. Accounts dept need to let the left hand know what the right hand is doing. They get one more chance.

JohnGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

insurance ok private hospital In town is rubbish and and no other choice

It’s ok good there is a branch in town for us oldies otherwise it doesnt matter all Same or similar prices no one likes talking to a robot so that’s my waver

Lagb
LagbVictoria

No environmental commitment

While other health insurance companies are divesting away from the fossil fuel industry, GMHBA has made no such commitment. I will be changing to a different fund by April 1 if no environmental commitment is made by GMHBA

Bruce W.
Bruce W.

Poor customer service

The GMHBA website had an issue whereby a member couldn't log in and this was an issue for over a month. Extremely poor customer service and no response to a telephone call and an email (sent over a month ago) asking for a comparison of the various levels of cover provided plus costs. Have subsequently changed providers for Private Health cover.

Macey
Macey

A very disappointing insurance.

I wasn't made aware of the waiting periods on dental check ups and xrays during the sale of the insurance.
I was hit with a massive bill and a decline on my health insurance card. I didn't even receive an apology from customer service. They weren't bothered in the slightest. I cancelled immediately and unfortunately was left massively out of pocket.

Cassandra
CassandraSydney, NSW

Great people benefits good but bumpy claims process and short staffed on phones and in claims note...

Great until you claim about hospital admission.....issues with item numbers
Issues charging excess where didn't apply not sure what happened....?
Great staff but multiple problems claiming - item numbers argued about with surgery
Claims Process not aligned with surgeon caused angst with parties involved
Maybe not enough technical staff for claims enquiries ?.dont know
Staff very professional esp [name removed] is amazing and [name removed] too.
But.... claims process via email very bumpy lots of swings and roundabouts but this and that....
Issues contacting with long wait times 10 day wait for claiming minimum 15-20min wait on phone. Great people. High premiums.

RoseL
RoseL

Health Insurance is expensive and refunds are at best average.

I pay for Silver + Hospital which is top cover for seniors. For my recent hospitalisation I paid an excess ($250 being half of annual excess as I've had a previous admission this year). The GAP after Medicare and Health Fund refunds for my surgeon was more than half of the fee, and the GAP after refunds for my anaethetist was more than one third of the fee.
Health Insurance Premiums have increased markedly in recent years but despite paying more the refunds are growing expotentially. It is time the Health Funds lobbied the Government for changes that see premiums increasing less and refunds increasing more.
It is becoming less attractive for me to continue being insured when Public Hospital care is free!

Marlene K
Marlene Kasked

Does GMHBA cover some/all the cost of blood pressure monitors

Wilma S.asked

Which A C T pathology groups do GMHBA have agreements with . I would like to join but have read reviews which Suggest ACT residents may be disadvantaged .thank you Wilma

Old boy

Capital Pathology has the bulk of the business in the ACT. Only a problem if you are hospitalised and lot of blood tests were done, as in my case. I am not sure if GMHBA has no fee agreements with others in the ACT.

Wilma S.

Thanks for your response . Perhaps GMHBA could clarify this .

Carol W.asked

Is GMHBA refunding extras to policy holders not used during COVID?

John

Perhaps a rethink on the way this question is asked may help - at least me - especially the reference to COVID
I am not aware of what may be suggested here
What exactly has prompted this question?
Is their murmuring within the ranks I know nothing about?

Carol W.

There was a mention on Channel 7 last week that some health funds were refunding portions of unused extras on policies during 2020.

John

Thanks. It is now dawning on me as to your intent ... don't follow those type of sensational Public Affairs TV shows
My response: Why expect a refund?
What about 'normal' years when 'we' don't use all of our 'entitlements'
So, why should we cry foul just because we have a political lockdown?

I did not receive a full Extras refund fr GMHBA on new spectacles, as I did not think to check if my wife had claimed earlier in the same year (mine was at a considerable cost - three sets of specs: general, reading and 'required' prescription sun glasses (early cataracts developing). If I had just held out till the new Extras year rolled over ... !

Would be nice to be able to claim 'certain extras' to support specific medical conditions, in my case, a quality BP monitor
My long history of cardiac claims (GMHBA) would surely have given some value where our GMHBA Extras have generally (I think) been on the moderate side. Not sure how this could be manageable without an even greater admin burden on the Health Fund

And where do you stop like, a no-claim bonus where we don't use our Hospital cover for any year?

On my care insurance I recently had an automatic refund of approx $250, all because I had just included one of my daughters (aged 45) as another authorized driver (not a full-time driver). I was not under any penalties on that policy, although her no-claim accident history counted towards that $250.

My only point here is flexibility if possible at all, and every case on its merit and loyalty. Thank you. John

See all GMHBA Health Insurance questions