GMHBA Health Insurance

• <1 week (4)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (4) · No
RoseL
RoseL

Health Insurance is expensive and refunds are at best average.

I pay for Silver + Hospital which is top cover for seniors. For my recent hospitalisation I paid an excess ($250 being half of annual excess as I've had a previous admission this year). The GAP after Medicare and Health Fund refunds for my surgeon was more than half of the fee, and the GAP after refunds for my anaethetist was more than one third of the fee.
Health Insurance Premiums have increased markedly in recent years but despite paying more the refunds are growing expotentially. It is time the Health Funds lobbied the Government for changes that see premiums increasing less and refunds increasing more.
It is becoming less attractive for me to continue being insured when Public Hospital care is free!

Coverage TypeCouple
Under 30No
Claim DateNovember 2019

Eileen Kennedy
Eileen KennedyWestern District, VIC

Premiums keep rising and services reducing.

I have only used my plan for doctor visits and diagnostic testing, although I have used the extras package quite a bit. Claims are managed well at this level of us.

Coverage TypeSingle

Trevor
TrevorSouthwest, VIC

Things that could be better

Have been with GMHBA for many years but do find that it is one of the more expensive funds and often out of pocket quite a bit - even when using GMHBA Dental etc. No major concerns really but high membership costs should reduce out of pocket expenses.

Coverage TypeFamily
Claim DateSeptember 2019

Review collected in partnership with GMHBA Health Insurance

Good but could be better!

Overall my policy is really good but I encountered problems with some stuff that every other health insurance covers and GMHBA won't cover a single dime for (example: sleep apnea machine). Also, I struggle to know my limits because they had "a problem in their system" for over a year now.

Claim DateSeptember 2019

Health Insurance

Find out how GMHBA Health Insurance compares to other Health Insurance

Marlene K
Marlene Kasked

Does GMHBA cover some/all the cost of blood pressure monitors

Wilma S.asked

Which A C T pathology groups do GMHBA have agreements with . I would like to join but have read reviews which Suggest ACT residents may be disadvantaged .thank you Wilma

Old boy
Old boy

Capital Pathology has the bulk of the business in the ACT. Only a problem if you are hospitalised and lot of blood tests were done, as in my case. I am not sure if GMHBA has no fee agreements with others in the ACT.

Wilma S.

Thanks for your response . Perhaps GMHBA could clarify this .

Carol W.asked

Is GMHBA refunding extras to policy holders not used during COVID?

John

Perhaps a rethink on the way this question is asked may help - at least me - especially the reference to COVID
I am not aware of what may be suggested here
What exactly has prompted this question?
Is their murmuring within the ranks I know nothing about?

Carol W.

There was a mention on Channel 7 last week that some health funds were refunding portions of unused extras on policies during 2020.

John

Thanks. It is now dawning on me as to your intent ... don't follow those type of sensational Public Affairs TV shows
My response: Why expect a refund?
What about 'normal' years when 'we' don't use all of our 'entitlements'
So, why should we cry foul just because we have a political lockdown?

I did not receive a full Extras refund fr GMHBA on new spectacles, as I did not think to check if my wife had claimed earlier in the same year (mine was at a considerable cost - three sets of specs: general, reading and 'required' prescription sun glasses (early cataracts developing). If I had just held out till the new Extras year rolled over ... !

Would be nice to be able to claim 'certain extras' to support specific medical conditions, in my case, a quality BP monitor
My long history of cardiac claims (GMHBA) would surely have given some value where our GMHBA Extras have generally (I think) been on the moderate side. Not sure how this could be manageable without an even greater admin burden on the Health Fund

And where do you stop like, a no-claim bonus where we don't use our Hospital cover for any year?

On my care insurance I recently had an automatic refund of approx $250, all because I had just included one of my daughters (aged 45) as another authorized driver (not a full-time driver). I was not under any penalties on that policy, although her no-claim accident history counted towards that $250.

My only point here is flexibility if possible at all, and every case on its merit and loyalty. Thank you. John

See all GMHBA Health Insurance questions