Google Chromecast 3rd Generation (2018)

Google Chromecast 3rd Generation (2018)

MPN: GA00439-AU

Nats

NatsPerth, WA

The best $40 I've spent.

This is the easiest, most user friendly, cheapest way to make a TV a smart TV. Just plug it in and off you go. Have been using mine for well over 12 months now and can't fault it. I use it for Stan, Netflix, ABC iview, SBS on demand - you name it. Its hands down the best valued item in my house!!

Purchased in October 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $40.00.

Annicka

AnnickaMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

So useful!

We have been watching Netflix, Stan and catch up tv via our PlayStation until recently. The chromecast makes it so much easier and quicker to use these functions and we can all connect to it easily using the google home app.

Purchased in December 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $40.00.

Alasdair36

Alasdair36South West, WA

Absolute rubbish

I could look at photos on my camera, but trying to watch a film via my phone or laptop was useless. Dropped out, lost sound. Lost Picture. Will take back to JB hifi and ask for money back.

Purchased at JB Hifi Home for $49.00.

Networked Media Players

Find out how Google Chromecast 3rd Generation (2018) compares to other Networked Media Players

OCTO

OCTO

Misleading packaging, requires buying a new mobile just to set it up, requirements always changing

Avoid this product.

Will not hook up straight through Windows 10 and it was a nightmare trying to find out why (they disabled support in January apparently) Disconnects every time it's paused or a video finishes then it's another rigmarole to find out why, Is it the phone, the PC or the Chromecast this time? Won't cast the desktop even though I have a good nearly new Toshiba. Wish I had bought a Media box instead and saved all this hassle.

Purchased in June 2019 for $79.00.

Andi

AndiMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Useless - A waste of money and time

Samsung Galaxy S9+ will not cast, despite being connected to Chromecast. No issues with Samsung S2 Tab. Both use the same internet source. Rebooted everything several times. Reset Chromecast to factory settings several times. Samsung and Google customer support was useless, neither will take ownership of the problem. I think I might go Apple unless anyone can resolve this issue. I would be totally screwed if I had set my home up with everything linked to Google

Purchased in July 2019 at JB Hifi Home for $60.00.

Disappointed

DisappointedPerth, WA

Total rubbish

Bought 1 in May. Followed all instructions several times. No luck. Returned it and got a replacement. Same story. Returned it today. 3 staff at JB HiFi couldn't get it to work either. If I had read the reviews first wouldn't have wasted my time or money.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hifi Home for $59.00.

BobG

BobGBendigo

After hours of trying everything this will not connect to my Telstra modem.

I have set these types of thing up before. Chromecast Ultra is rubbish, too difficult to get set up. My ROKU was a dream by comparison. Chromecast goes back to JB-HI tomorrow for my money back. Do not buy one.

Purchased in July 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $99.00.

A Load Of Rubbish

I Followed the instructions, which are very simple........but it does not work. Just wasted hours on this.
So I am going back to my old method. Download video to USB Stick. Plug in to T.V. .....watch and enjoy.

Purchased in May 2019 at Officeworks for $55.00.

Jeffrey

JeffreySouth East Queensland, QLD

Unreliable product.

Purchased in November 2018 for $995.00.

Vince

VinceSydney, NSW

What was Google thinking?

Managed to connect it to my android phone without a problem. Wasted hours trying to connect it to my Windows laptop. Why are there not even any reliable instructions for this? Surely I'm not alone in trying to connect a Windows laptop? Utterly terrible.

Purchased in February 2019 at Google Store for $59.00.

SimonDigby

SimonDigbyWestern Australia

if you love stuffing around with glitchy tech, this is for you.

Hopeless device. Never connects when you want it to. Have to erase and start again multiple times. Freezes at the most annoying moments (to be fair, this is its one skill). We had such high hopes for this thing. Like, it would work, for one. Waste of time and money.

Anna

AnnaDarwin

Ok

You would think a product as simple as chromecast wouldnt have any problems
It drops out, and /or doesn't always connect for no apparent reason.
I find I have to go to my Google home app to manually find it and connect it because when I hit the connect icon it says its streaming but it isn't.

KylieJene

KylieJeneSouth East Queensland, QLD

So good we bought a second one!

We have an Apple TV, and a Chromecast but hubby has a Samsung phone and was only using Chromecast. So we bought a second Chromecast. Both are great devices. Only problems is sometimes can’t skip advertisements, whilst casting. Can be powered by usb. If you don’t have outlets free, your tv’s USB ports can power the Chromecast.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Always loses connection

Not compatible

Google haven't got a list of compatible projectors. Mine isnt. It's an expensive trial and error or the inconvenience of returning the Chromecast device to google. It proved to be a waste of time. HDMI does not mean that it will work with your projector. There must be many standards around.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Kat

KatMelbourne

Best purchase

Got a chromecast so that I could stream Hayu (reality tv) on my television and it has been fantastic. It’s actually really convenient selecting a program on my phone - all I do is hit a button and it turns on my tv and streams what i want to watch. Love it

Date PurchasedOct 2018

What an unsafe, terrible product

1. Would not install from a PC.
2. Interferes with aerial signal.
3. Unit gets so hot,nearly too hot to touch, its a fire hazard.
I spent 3 hours trying to get it to work and finally gave up. The instructions on the setup program are hopeless. I will be taking it back for a refund.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Cheomecast only good at streaming media

Hans

HansMelbourne

Can't live without it!

I have just updated my 1st Generation Chromecast with a 3rd Generation model. I am glad I did. It works faster with no buffering. I generally cast from my iPad using the many free-to-air streaming apps and Nextflix. I cast movies from my PC using the Videostream app. The Chromecast has extended my viewing pleasure, and I can catch-up with all my regular programs. Works much better than the catch-up apps that come with my Sony smart TV