Google Chromecast 3rd Generation (2018)

Google Chromecast 3rd Generation (2018)

MPN: GA00439-AU

2.2

Doreenrunner

DoreenrunnerMelbourne

Fails too quick.

Have 3 chromecast v2,v3 and ultra, all stopped working when the version google home 31.112 updated. Only the ultra recovered with support instructions. The other 2 just fails update and says network problem when the router can see they are connected. Build other wifi network and same result. Quick search online is an old problem with chromecast, maybe to sell new ones? Not worth the short life they have. Also the customer support is bad or does not exist in messanger or by phone.

Purchased for A$45.00.

glenn

glennSouth East Queensland, QLD

Total Rubbish

I'm pretty good at getting devices working, but this device had me stumped. Would not connect to numerous wifi connections available in the house. Don't buy one total Rubbish and you'll waste a lot of time.

Purchased in October 2020 at Officeworks for A$59.00.

Was fine until...

I was happy with device which was working with no problems until recently. Now it continually fails so I've given up. I won't replace it, not worth the money and trouble.

Purchased in September 2018.

Networked Media Players

Find out how Google Chromecast 3rd Generation (2018) compares to other Networked Media Players

noodles36

noodles36Victoria, 3183

Biggest pile of crap ever

It doesn't connect properly with my mobile phones (Moto x2 play and Moto G5Plus) but my laptop does connect to it but it buffers and is choppy and eventually the screen goes purple. Rebooting and running Google's useless troubleshooting makes no difference. You'd think if you pay for a product from a multi billion dollar company you'd actually get something that actually works. No wonder they are so rich ripping off everyone. I tried to write a review via google review and guess what? You can't. They've locked it like a late night infomercial review site where everyone says how great the product is and gives if 4 and 5 stars but in reality it's a piece of trash.

Purchased in April 2020 at The Good Guys for A$59.00.

Anthony

Anthonynewcastle

Does Not work

About as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. worked for a couple of weeks After an update on my desktop it stopped working, tried all the fixes suggested but still no good!!!

Purchased in September 2019 at Officeworks Physical store for A$100.00.

Absolute headache

Would not get passed set up ... 4 hours of thinkering and forums ideas and nothing ... it is junk don’t waste your money ... Will be getting a refund tomorrow for sure

Purchased in June 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for A$59.00.

Simone

SimoneGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Handy

Easy to set up, easy to use. If you're using an Android and casting spotify, it does disconnect if your phone is in battery saving mode. Once I worked out the spotify issue I'm very happy with it.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for A$49.00.

J Morris

J MorrisSouth East Queensland, QLD

The most frustrating device I’ve ever used!!

When it’s working its fine but continually have to do full resets to get it to connect as it fails to connect to wifi. Its now in the bin! So over trying to get it to work! Its not good on your mental health!

Purchased in October 2019 at JB Hi-Fi.

Sinthu M.

Sinthu M.

Perfect casting device

If you want to turn your tv/monitor into a smart tv go for this. It offers a simple interface and can be used seamlessly with Apple / android devices. I use it for streaming YouTube & Netflix. It is always connected to my family room tv and i can stream to it anytime by clicking the cast icon on the apps that support screen casting. I have also noticed that there are fewer ads while using this device for YouTube streaming.

Purchased in February 2020 at Officeworks for A$59.00.

Abysmal

Purchased in January 2020.

Nats

NatsPerth, WA

The best $40 I've spent.

This is the easiest, most user friendly, cheapest way to make a TV a smart TV. Just plug it in and off you go. Have been using mine for well over 12 months now and can't fault it. I use it for Stan, Netflix, ABC iview, SBS on demand - you name it. Its hands down the best valued item in my house!!

Purchased in October 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for A$40.00.

Annicka

AnnickaMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

So useful!

We have been watching Netflix, Stan and catch up tv via our PlayStation until recently. The chromecast makes it so much easier and quicker to use these functions and we can all connect to it easily using the google home app.

Purchased in December 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for A$40.00.

Alasdair36

Alasdair36South West, WA

Absolute rubbish

I could look at photos on my camera, but trying to watch a film via my phone or laptop was useless. Dropped out, lost sound. Lost Picture. Will take back to JB hifi and ask for money back.

Purchased at JB Hifi Home for A$49.00.

OCTO

OCTO

Misleading packaging, requires buying a new mobile just to set it up, requirements always changing

Avoid this product.

Will not hook up straight through Windows 10 and it was a nightmare trying to find out why (they disabled support in January apparently) Disconnects every time it's paused or a video finishes then it's another rigmarole to find out why, Is it the phone, the PC or the Chromecast this time? Won't cast the desktop even though I have a good nearly new Toshiba. Wish I had bought a Media box instead and saved all this hassle.

Purchased in June 2019 for A$79.00.

Andi

AndiMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Useless - A waste of money and time

Samsung Galaxy S9+ will not cast, despite being connected to Chromecast. No issues with Samsung S2 Tab. Both use the same internet source. Rebooted everything several times. Reset Chromecast to factory settings several times. Samsung and Google customer support was useless, neither will take ownership of the problem. I think I might go Apple unless anyone can resolve this issue. I would be totally screwed if I had set my home up with everything linked to Google

Purchased in July 2019 at JB Hifi Home for A$60.00.

Disappointed

DisappointedPerth, WA

Total rubbish

Bought 1 in May. Followed all instructions several times. No luck. Returned it and got a replacement. Same story. Returned it today. 3 staff at JB HiFi couldn't get it to work either. If I had read the reviews first wouldn't have wasted my time or money.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hifi Home for A$59.00.

BobG

BobGBendigo

After hours of trying everything this will not connect to my Telstra modem.

I have set these types of thing up before. Chromecast Ultra is rubbish, too difficult to get set up. My ROKU was a dream by comparison. Chromecast goes back to JB-HI tomorrow for my money back. Do not buy one.

Purchased in July 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for A$99.00.

A Load Of Rubbish

I Followed the instructions, which are very simple........but it does not work. Just wasted hours on this.
So I am going back to my old method. Download video to USB Stick. Plug in to T.V. .....watch and enjoy.

Purchased in May 2019 at Officeworks for A$55.00.

Jeffrey

JeffreySouth East Queensland, QLD

Unreliable product.

Purchased in November 2018 for A$995.00.