Google Chromecast

Doreenrunner

DoreenrunnerMelbourne

Fails too quick.

Have 3 chromecast v2,v3 and ultra, all stopped working when the version google home 31.112 updated. Only the ultra recovered with support instructions. The other 2 just fails update and says network problem when the router can see they are connected. Build other wifi network and same result. Quick search online is an old problem with chromecast, maybe to sell new ones? Not worth the short life they have. Also the customer support is bad or does not exist in messanger or by phone.

Purchased for A$45.00.

markh0464

markh0464

Worst user friendly device ever

I’ve had a gut full of this device I just want to smash it into a thousand prices. I’m away in our caravan with no tv reception, however we have internet through our iPhone, I have spent hours trying to get the iPhone to cast to our chromecast connected tv. It won’t, factory reset whatever, it is not user friendly. Google chromecast is a waste of money.

Purchased in January 2016 at JB Hi-Fi for A$55.00.

glenn

glennSouth East Queensland, QLD

Total Rubbish

I'm pretty good at getting devices working, but this device had me stumped. Would not connect to numerous wifi connections available in the house. Don't buy one total Rubbish and you'll waste a lot of time.

Purchased in October 2020 at Officeworks for A$59.00.

Flakey and unreliable

I've worked in system adminstration and software development for almost 40 years and I can't get it working reliably.
Error messages are vague, if you can get it connected (which seems to depend on the phase of the moon) it randomly disconnects leaving the video running which can't be stopped.
Don't buy it unless you get a money back guarantee!

Was fine until...

I was happy with device which was working with no problems until recently. Now it continually fails so I've given up. I won't replace it, not worth the money and trouble.

Purchased in September 2018.

noodles36

noodles36Victoria, 3183

Biggest pile of crap ever

It doesn't connect properly with my mobile phones (Moto x2 play and Moto G5Plus) but my laptop does connect to it but it buffers and is choppy and eventually the screen goes purple. Rebooting and running Google's useless troubleshooting makes no difference. You'd think if you pay for a product from a multi billion dollar company you'd actually get something that actually works. No wonder they are so rich ripping off everyone. I tried to write a review via google review and guess what? You can't. They've locked it like a late night infomercial review site where everyone says how great the product is and gives if 4 and 5 stars but in reality it's a piece of trash.

Purchased in April 2020 at The Good Guys for A$59.00.

Anthony

Anthonynewcastle

Does Not work

About as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. worked for a couple of weeks After an update on my desktop it stopped working, tried all the fixes suggested but still no good!!!

Purchased in September 2019 at Officeworks Physical store for A$100.00.

Absolute headache

Would not get passed set up ... 4 hours of thinkering and forums ideas and nothing ... it is junk don’t waste your money ... Will be getting a refund tomorrow for sure

Purchased in June 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for A$59.00.

Karen Z

Karen ZSydney, NSW

Useless junk, lagging, lagging and lagging.

Don't waste your money on this useless junk. It's lagging on all occasions, even when you watch their own YouTube. Worst Google product possibly. If you really want to do mirroring, invest on a proper TV.

Purchased in June 2016 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for A$50.00.

J Morris

J MorrisSouth East Queensland, QLD

The most frustrating device I’ve ever used!!

When it’s working its fine but continually have to do full resets to get it to connect as it fails to connect to wifi. Its now in the bin! So over trying to get it to work! Its not good on your mental health!

Purchased in October 2019 at JB Hi-Fi.

Abysmal

Purchased in January 2020.

noodles36

noodles36Victoria, 3183

Biggest pile of crap

Continually disappears from being available to cast from my mobile phone. I continually reboot and have requested customer help on many occasions and it never fixes. When I want to cast I never can and this product is a pile of crap.

Don’t waste your money

Work well initially but now terrible! unable to watch anything at work or home! Wasted hours trying to login in either network! Crap, crap and more crap
Time to buy a SmartTV

Purchased in March 2018 at Harvey Norman for A$139.00.

jen

jenSydney, NSW

sothey sell products that last as long as their warranties ....good to know ...will look for something different know

not longer works just after warranty expired will look for an alternative. very disappointed. supposed they are made in china. cant think of ten more words four to go one

Purchased in June 2017 at JB Hi-Fi for A$59.00.

Alasdair36

Alasdair36South West, WA

Absolute rubbish

I could look at photos on my camera, but trying to watch a film via my phone or laptop was useless. Dropped out, lost sound. Lost Picture. Will take back to JB hifi and ask for money back.

Purchased at JB Hifi Home for A$49.00.

OCTO

OCTO

Misleading packaging, requires buying a new mobile just to set it up, requirements always changing

Avoid this product.

Will not hook up straight through Windows 10 and it was a nightmare trying to find out why (they disabled support in January apparently) Disconnects every time it's paused or a video finishes then it's another rigmarole to find out why, Is it the phone, the PC or the Chromecast this time? Won't cast the desktop even though I have a good nearly new Toshiba. Wish I had bought a Media box instead and saved all this hassle.

Purchased in June 2019 for A$79.00.

Andi

AndiMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Useless - A waste of money and time

Samsung Galaxy S9+ will not cast, despite being connected to Chromecast. No issues with Samsung S2 Tab. Both use the same internet source. Rebooted everything several times. Reset Chromecast to factory settings several times. Samsung and Google customer support was useless, neither will take ownership of the problem. I think I might go Apple unless anyone can resolve this issue. I would be totally screwed if I had set my home up with everything linked to Google

Purchased in July 2019 at JB Hifi Home for A$60.00.

Disappointed

DisappointedPerth, WA

Total rubbish

Bought 1 in May. Followed all instructions several times. No luck. Returned it and got a replacement. Same story. Returned it today. 3 staff at JB HiFi couldn't get it to work either. If I had read the reviews first wouldn't have wasted my time or money.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hifi Home for A$59.00.

BobG

BobGBendigo

After hours of trying everything this will not connect to my Telstra modem.

I have set these types of thing up before. Chromecast Ultra is rubbish, too difficult to get set up. My ROKU was a dream by comparison. Chromecast goes back to JB-HI tomorrow for my money back. Do not buy one.

Purchased in July 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for A$99.00.

Leigh L.

Leigh L.asked

Chromecast

How do I get SBS on my new google Chromecast with google tv? I thought I selected it from Apps menu on install but it’s not appearing now on available apps...?

john

johnasked

Chromecast 3rd Generation (2018)

why when I use the device to watch SBS on demand does it sometimes cut the start of the show, and why is it that all the other providers such as I view, does not seem to have this problem. what do I need to do to fix this irritating problem

Fired Up
Fired Up

Contact the company obviously

ilias K.

ilias K.asked

Chromecast 2nd Generation (2016)

I would to ask if when you mirror your screen to the tv, does it use the wifi on your mobile. I would like to mirror my screen to tv and then use the wifi to surf the internet (google maps, a browser page or anything else). So is the wifi free to browse the internet while mirroring your screen?
And now there is also a guest mode. So you can mirror your screen lets say in a hotel without using wifi. Is again your wifi free to surf the internet while doing this? Thanks

Thomas
Thomas

When setting Chromecast up it asks you which wifi you want to connect to ? I only have one that connects and does it all, home installed wifi where all products identify and log to - hope this helps.

QLDZDR
QLDZDR

I can't get guest mode to work at all. I have downloaded the update of Google Home App. Looks different.
My TV shows the PIN on the screen, which we assume means a guest who doesn't have access to our wifi password but can see the PIN on the monitor, will be able to CAST (mirror) their screen to our TV.
But it doesn't find any compatible devices for them to cast to unlessvthey are already connected to our wifi.
I might try rebooting the Chromecast

Compare all 3 Google Chromecast
CategoryNetworked Media PlayersNetworked Media PlayersNetworked Media Players
ConnectivityWi-FiWi-FiWi-Fi
App StoreGoogle PlayGoogle PlayGoogle Play
Netflix App CompatibleYesYesYes
SD Card SlotNoNoNo
Price (RRP)$59$49$59
Replaced byGoogle Chromecast UltraGoogle Chromecast UltraGoogle Chromecast Ultra
Compare all 3 Google Chromecast