Google Chromecast

Jeffrey

JeffreySouth East Queensland, QLD

Unreliable product.

Purchased in November 2018 for A$995.00.

Anna

AnnaDarwin

Ok

You would think a product as simple as chromecast wouldnt have any problems
It drops out, and /or doesn't always connect for no apparent reason.
I find I have to go to my Google home app to manually find it and connect it because when I hit the connect icon it says its streaming but it isn't.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Roachy

RoachyChristchurch

Love it but have problems with it

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Networked Media Players

Find out how Google Chromecast compares to other Networked Media Players

Kevin3541

Kevin3541Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

240v USB failure

Whilst I cannot fault the unit in its operation, the fact that the Australian model has the USB outlet at the bottom of the 240v outlet creates an early failure of the USB cord. In Australia I would have thought most 240v power outlets are fitted low down on the wall and most TV's are fitted at least 500-600 above the floor this causes the cord to be bent @ 90 degrees and in our case the cord casing has cracked and now unusable. Why would the USB outlet not be fitted at the rear (as per - Iphone etc) or at the top.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
sarah

sarahWerribee

This is a great product, great value for money. Although many AU apps not yet compatible.

This product is great and very tech savvy in my opinion. The only downfall with the product is that many of the apps that i have are not yet compatible with chrome cast which makes it pretty useless for anything but netflix and youtube. Otherwise it is great and easy to use!

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Philip_pc

Philip_pcSydney

For $50 - worth the addition

If you haven't got the latest smart TV with all the connectivity. Then this 50 dollar will probably be the best 50 you spend on your TV entertainment. Good way to watch YouTube on the big screen, your own media (with 3rd parry apps).
Relatively easy to setup, does not loose memory if disconnected.
Only disappointment is it can't be USB powered. Must have constant 240v supply.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Incredibly annoying!

Watching youtube is like a game of russian roulette at times. So many times the device paused, unpaused, and changed the time in the video by itself. Im watching a video nicely when suddenly IT SKIPS TO THE MIDDLE, or SKIPS TO THE NEXT VIDEO, STOPS CASTING, SKIPS TO THE BEGINNING OF THE VIDEO, JUST GOES CRAZY! It's the most annoying thing ever when I pause my casting, go to a different room, and come back to the video paying from somewhere in the middle. I've probably sent above 15 official bug reports to chromecast, but it seems like they honestly don't give a crap. I'm pretty sure the amazon firestick will do better.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
HendyB

HendyBSydney

Useful but could be better

reviews(squared)

reviews(squared)

Great product, until it broke..

The Chromecast works as a great HDMI dongle for streaming media. It worked pretty much flawlessly with an Android tablet for a few months until the MicroUSB port started becoming loose. Eventually it just snapped off the PCB. Apart from that, good streamer. Not as good as Apple TV, but still good.

Networked Media Players

Find out how Google Chromecast compares to other Networked Media Players

IanKen

IanKenDuncraig WA

Good, but don't forget Apple TV

Leigh L.

Leigh L.asked

Chromecast

How do I get SBS on my new google Chromecast with google tv? I thought I selected it from Apps menu on install but it’s not appearing now on available apps...?

john

johnasked

Chromecast 3rd Generation (2018)

why when I use the device to watch SBS on demand does it sometimes cut the start of the show, and why is it that all the other providers such as I view, does not seem to have this problem. what do I need to do to fix this irritating problem

Fired Up
Fired Up

Contact the company obviously

ilias K.

ilias K.asked

Chromecast 2nd Generation (2016)

I would to ask if when you mirror your screen to the tv, does it use the wifi on your mobile. I would like to mirror my screen to tv and then use the wifi to surf the internet (google maps, a browser page or anything else). So is the wifi free to browse the internet while mirroring your screen?
And now there is also a guest mode. So you can mirror your screen lets say in a hotel without using wifi. Is again your wifi free to surf the internet while doing this? Thanks

Thomas
Thomas

When setting Chromecast up it asks you which wifi you want to connect to ? I only have one that connects and does it all, home installed wifi where all products identify and log to - hope this helps.

QLDZDR
QLDZDR

I can't get guest mode to work at all. I have downloaded the update of Google Home App. Looks different.
My TV shows the PIN on the screen, which we assume means a guest who doesn't have access to our wifi password but can see the PIN on the monitor, will be able to CAST (mirror) their screen to our TV.
But it doesn't find any compatible devices for them to cast to unlessvthey are already connected to our wifi.
I might try rebooting the Chromecast

Compare all 3 Google Chromecast
CategoryNetworked Media PlayersNetworked Media PlayersNetworked Media Players
ConnectivityWi-FiWi-FiWi-Fi
App StoreGoogle PlayGoogle PlayGoogle Play
Netflix App CompatibleYesYesYes
SD Card SlotNoNoNo
Price (RRP)$59$49$59
Replaced byGoogle Chromecast UltraGoogle Chromecast UltraGoogle Chromecast Ultra
Compare all 3 Google Chromecast