Google Pixel 2 XL

Google Pixel 2 XL

64GB and 128GB

Love this Pixel

Got this pixel last year when there is promotion at JB Hifi for $1100 and get google home mini....
This is my 1st time with google phone....previously using iPhone & Samsung...
After using it till now this is my phone, will continue to pixel 5 next ...my kid already have an eye for my phone ... so far there is no negative from my side....

Purchased in June 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $1,100.00.

Software

BEST phone I have ever purchased

The Google Pixel 2 camera is fantastic and true to its statement that it is by far the best on the market in phone cameras. I love the finger print security and the automated updates that ensure I have the most recent additions/changes. The Google phone is just so smart and easy to use. Super battery life. By far the best phone I have ever owned (and I've been using a mobile for 20+ years). Durable, bright and easy to read Would only buy Google again now.

Purchased in February 2018 at Telstra Macquarie NSW.

Software

Great fast phone that takes good pictures

I bought this phone second hand on eBay. Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the fingerprint reader that makes it a little unreliable but considering I saved money by buying second hand I don't think it is too big an issue. This phone overall has been very good. I love how I get security updates as soon as Google releases them. It is fast and reliable and the screen is bright enough to see in the sun unlike my previous Google Nexus 6p. I am able to easily screen record what's happening on my phone so I can easily report bugs to app developers. There is also a small problem with the speakers buzzing but this isn't hard to fix. Overall the speed and capabilities of this phone are great.

Purchased in January 2019 at eBay for $410.00.

Software

Good camera terrible after service

My friend bought Pixel2 XL in new a year and 3months ago, the phone got a serious mul function and now keep shut down and doesn't work properly so gave me the phone. The factory reset doesn't help anything so I sent Google and also Google recomended phone repair place messages, both place not reply anything just fully ignore my messages. The phone camera is great but it's got serious technical issues also after service is absolutely horrible. I highly not recommend to buy Google phones.

Purchased in March 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $1,200.00.

Software

Great phone with an even better camera!

The camera on this phone is still one of the best in smart phones going around. This is on par with the new Pixel 3A. The brightness is top notch and apps run very smooth.

It has a great feel and quite durable. I highly recommend.

Purchased in November 2018 at Google Store for $1,399.00.

Best android phone ever!

Camera quality is the best that I have ever on a smartphone. It can takes photo just point and shoot in any conditions because the software that Google developed is really that good.

Durability is perfect since it only has small part of glass on the back. However, screen brightness is not the strong area of this phone but it is usable in direct sunlight.

I uses this phone for mostly listening to music, browsing webs and streaming videos. Ultimately, the phone runs extremely smooth no lag at all.

Purchased in January 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $1,549.00.

Software

Great Phone some minor bearable issues

Great design and dual rocker speakers produces crisp sounds. However volume is lacking compared to other phones such as Samsung. Limited RAM for some reason, switching between apps may cause the initial app to restart. Have used this phone for personal use for about 6months then upgraded to Pixel 3.

Purchased in August 2018 for $700.00.

Software

Have had nothing but problems

I have had nothing but problems since buying this phone. The original charger stopped working
I bought a replacement and that also didn't work. I then tried a colleagues charger which was through a third party and it worked fine.

Purchased in March 2019.

Very reliable phone

Bought a second hand one for 350$ (cracked beezel) works like a charm, much better than Samsung 8+ I had which I have had fix 2+ time with screen cracking so easily and now s8+ is running crazy with display turns green

Purchased in December 2018 at eBay for $350.00.

Love it

Best phone I have ever owned. At first I preferred my old Samsung S7 Edge (Which was also a great device)
But paired with an official Google phone cover it's been great, and still going great after 2 and a bit years. I'm a tradie, my phone cops a hiding. But this thing looks like it did the day I bought it. Battery is starting to slow down but I get all day/night before needing a charge. The screen is soft but super strong and clear, software is spot on. Camera is still top 3 on the market. Not bad for a phone that was released 2 or so years ago.

Purchased in October 2017 at Telsta for $1,200.00.

Best Phone ever owned

The camera is awesome at low light condition also, battery life (almost a year later) is still magnificent, never had to restart the phone coz it got stuck into something, so fast. Squeezing to open the google assistant and search had saved a lot of my time. I have not seen any screen issues that was mentioned earlier.

Purchased in April 2018 at Telstra.

Great phone

Overall happy with the pixel 2 xl. Best phone I've owned and ill be buying another pixel when this spits the dummy

Pros
Smooth operating system as the phone hardware is made by Google thus it's all geared at running Android with Google apps. I've had other phones with their own apps on the phone that you can't uninstall and it made the system clunky.

Fantastic camera all synced with Google photos.

Great battery life

Waterproof

Cons
Curved glass screen so it's very hard to find a suitable tempered glass screen protector as most on the market to fit this screen only have adhesive around the border of the screen protector so they end up falling off or not good tactile feedback.

The volume button popped off and I couldn't find it. Ordered another one which just clicked back in. Still shouldn't have fallen off as easy. Not an issue now as I have a phone case to keep it in place.

Purchased in January 2019.

Good value for money

I love this product. I can browse and easily access information. A feedback is the with fi detection isn't upto the standard of Google especially overseas. Great battery charge and memory.

Purchased in June 2018 for $800.00.

Software

Definately an upgrade in Android devices

The camera quality is crazy good and video. After having so many phones freeze on me in the past I'm happy to finally have a phone that matches my speed in typing and interacting with the phone. It backs up everything to Google Drive. No more memory cards and you can look back on all the photos with a search bar. It works like a mini computer.

Purchased in January 2018 for $980.00.

Software

Best phone I have ever owned!

Having previously owned a Samsung, I made the switch to Google for something different. I won't own anything else other than Google branded products now. Camera quality is great and they have just brought out an update that fixes pictures in darker settings.

Purchased in July 2018 for $900.00.

Issues with the Pixel

My husband paid a fair amount for this phone, and it disappointed me. While the camera takes some good pictures in full light, in low light lines appear across the photos. The volume didn't work, calls started dropping out and the charger stopped working. Not what I thought I would get for an expensive phone. That said Google were fantastic in replacing it with a refurbished one, have to wait and see if the replacement is any better. Also JB-Hifi didn't help with any complaints, we had to go to Google direct even though the phone was purchased from JB-Hifi store.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Google Denies Legitimate Warranty Claim

On the night of January 3, 2019, I woke to the smell of my Google Pixel 2 XL burning next to my bed. I had plugged it in to charge and receive updates only moments earlier and now there was a very distinct burnt plastic smell in my room and an audible crackling until the device was removed from the wall charger. I was alarmed as to what may have happened had I continued to sleep as the device was hot to the touch and the interface of the charging port and charging tip had begun to melt. *Event can be recreated with any method of charging* I contacted my service provider, Telus, the next day assured with the knowledge that I had signed up for extended device care and I was informed that I was still within the one year manufacturer warranty. Telus mailed the damaged phone to Google on my behalf and a week later I was informed it was repaired and ready for pickup. Arriving at the Telus Store, we soon realized that the device was not repaired and the documents from Google accompanying the device were unclear/incomplete. Since then, I have logged in excess of 5 hours reaching out to Google explaining my circumstances to supervisors, managers and finally their escalations team. What I've gathered is that the initial diagnosis of my device was logged in their system as "damaged hardware" and my escalated request to receive a new phone and charger mailed to me with a return shipping label for my damaged device on the conditions that my credit card would be held for the retail price, was declined. I have Google smart devices throughout my home and have been a long time supporter of their products. Considering my circumstances and the nature of the device failure, to have Google routinely fail to deliver call backs, complicate the warranty procedure to exhaustion and ultimately reject to deliver my request or any compensation whatsoever is deeply upsetting. At this point, I can no longer recommend Google products to friends and family and I feel obligated to let others know that Google does not offer market standard customer service - and in my case, they seemed to go to a great length to deny my legitimate warranty claim.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Have had it with both Nexus and Pixel phones

Phone calls drop out when making or receiving calls. A safety issue if an emergency call is needed.
Have replaced Sim card and done a factory reset but no change.
Can send the phone away but what do I use in the meantime.
Will not be buying these expensive brands again!

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Headphone jack failure, crackling speaker failure & non-removable widgets.

● Google Australia is an anti-consumer company ●
Before I get into the technical review, you deserve to know that Google Australia refused to refund my phone after 3 faulty devices until I threatened legal action. Google Australia dragged this process out for 5 months before it was forced to comply to consumer law by NSW Fair Trading. Google Australia did everything in its power to swindle me of my $800 and I will NEVER buy from them again.

Overview: the google pixel 2 xl is supposed to be the ultimate android phone, and although its software stability is appreciated, it falls flat on its face due to anti-consumer, privacy-breaching mechanics, restricted home-screen customisation, embarrassingly lacklustre selfie camera and usb-c to aux playback issues. Read below for more information.

● invasion of privacy ●
Beware that google unnecessarily forces users to activate gps location tracking for basic weather information (this is not normal – most other smartphones allow users to select their location from a list without any location tracking). It gets worse – if users decide to deactivate gps location tracking, google will punish them by breaking the weather widget on the home-screen which users are forced to look at.

● say goodbye to wired aux audio ●
It’s well known that the lack of a standard 3.5mm aux audio jack is despised by majority of smartphone users. The reason smartphone companies decide to remove the incredibly useful aux jack is to push the bluetooth accessory agenda. Phone companies expect a backlash for removing the aux jack and they attempt to compensate the inconvenience it poses by providing a usb to aux adapter. My pixel 2 xl’s usb to aux adapter does not work – it mistakes the aux cable for a charging cable and does not play music. Google sent a replacement adaptor, but the issue was not resolved. How embarrassing that an $800 'smart' phone is too stupid to know the difference between an aux input and usb charging.

● selfie camera doesn’t have focus ●
The front camera has a fixed focus, meaning that you cannot choose to focus on the background or foreground (this is not normal in high-end smartphones and google makes a point of hiding this lacking specification). The fixed focus makes detailed close-up selfies impossible because the phone must be held 50cm from your face and that distance, all details are lost. The chinese phone brand: oppo, has better front facing cameras.

● can I customise my homescreen? No! ●
This pixel 2 wastes 8 home-screen icon spaces due to the non-removable google search bar and weather widget. It’s insulting that users are refused the flexibility to customise their home-screen considering this phone costs $800.

● outdated design ●
There is no full-screen gesture control mode akin to both iphone and oppo’s impeccable implementation. The pixel 2 retains the old and ugly navigation bar at the bottom which makes the phone feel like it belongs in 2008. Google needs to swallow its pride and follow the trend of making the navigation bar transparent.

The verdict: unfortunately, google have demonstrated their anti-consumer and restrictive vision for their smartphones in the pixel 2 xl. Google forces the user's hand to activate gps location tracking by punishing them with broken software if they don’t comply. Google don’t give their customers the flexibility to customise the home-screen to their liking. These are basic expectations for a modern smartphone and google abysmally fails at delivering. I cannot recommend this phone.
_______________________________________
[UPDATE]: Google sent a BRAND NEW replacement Pixel 2XL and it has its own set of issues. The replacement phone's dual loudspeakers crackle even at mid-volume. This is a widely reported issue amongst the Pixel 2XL community. I've received two consecutive dud Pixel 2XL's. Seriously stay away from Google phones - They are awful quality. Spend no more than $500 for a phone.

Purchased in October 2018 for $800.00.

Software

Far better than my iPhone and Samsung

Such a great phone. I'll never look back! Camera quality is great and my friends are always wanting to use my phone for the event photos. Easy to use. Does everything I need and more. Also left it outside on the balcony in the pouring rain on the weekend, still works perfectly! Everyone asks "how?" I say "Google Phone"

Date PurchasedApr 2018