Google Wifi

Google Wifi

MPN: GA00157-AU

Terrible product if you have any additional Ethernet devices near you Internet router

Absolute terrible product, I have a printer and Synology Network Attached Storage that wrer connected to my internet router/switch which was also my WiFi. Everything worked together, able to print access files and perform backups of data, but network (WiFi) performance was slow because of the construction of my small unit (block walls long odd shape). Thought Google WiFi mesh seemed the answer. resounding No. the problem is to get access to all devices on your home network (NAS & Printer) - EVERYTHING - must be downstream of the first Google WiFi node and google provide 2 Ethernet ports. The first port of the 1st Google WiFi node has to connect to your internet router, leaving only a lone 2nd Ethernet port. To connect anything additional I have to now buy an additional switch (or as suggested plug in an older router in bridge mode - like the average user will be able to do this 'out of the box') and plug that into the Google WiFi node so all the Ethernet (NAS & Printer) devises are down network of the 1st Google node. I contacted Google and they admitted this is the requirement, and that I should have 'Called them first before making a purchase'; I provided feedback that the requirement that the 1st Google WiFi Node must be the pinnacle of any home network was neither easily searchable on the net (unless you know to look for it), I had done extensive research on mesh alternatives before purchase and there were no red flags prominent (hence my first every product review with feedback), in fact all the packing and what little documentation available extorted the seamless WiFi home network.Final word unless you are 'Total' WiFi for all your devices or will to add additional switch/router downstream of the 1st node.avoid Google WiFi. Off to buy a cheap switch to add ports to the first node tomorrow. very frustrating product.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Online Store for $499.00.

Number of Connected Devices 9 devices
ISPTPG Broadband NBN
ModemHuawei HG659

Does not work with Google Home devices

I have had Google WiFi for nearly a year. A few month's ago it stopped working with Google Home devices. I have done many many hours of tests for Google support but they can't work out what the problem is. I will never buy from Google again I do not trust them and their equipment is unreliable. Go to another supplier

Purchased in April 2018.

Number of Connected Devices 8 devices

WIFI Issues Solved

Solved all our networking issues. We have a larger house on a 4000m2 block. House is double brick, two story with suspended concrete slab. The first google wifi point is downstairs beside the cable modem. This connects to second point upstairs which is on a window sill. 50m away is the shed where the 3rd point sits on a window sill. They all mesh reliably. The shed signal is weak but we still get 20-30Mbps. The complete house has a strong signal. The signal covers most of the property. And it was so easy to setup, 30 minutes maximum.
The end result exceeded my expectations.

Purchased in January 2019 at Officeworks Physical store.

Number of Connected Devices 7 devices
ISPTelstra Broadband Cable
ModemTelstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Solved our WiFi Problems

Moved into a large/long apartment and had issues getting Wi-Fi from one end to the other and also to outside (we installed a wireless doorbell). The internet speed at our main point hasn't changed (approx. 85MBPS) and we're now getting good speeds at both other points (35MBPS) whereas previously we were getting basically no Wi-Fi. Was really easy to install and hasn't missed a beat since we installed it.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Amazing!

I purchased the Google Wi-Fi kit as our house has a few dead spots and our previous wifi extender speeds were very slow. I am so glad I purchased this product as we now have full wi-fi coverage all over the house, including the front and back yards. The speeds remain fast in all areas so this is a great product for multiple purposes such as IoT, Gaming, Streaming etc.

The set up was so incredibly simple that I thought I must of missed something! The App is intuitive with great controls and options for parents to keep an eye on their children’s usage and access time restriction options. There is also an option to prioritise a specific device (e.g. TV when streaming) and you can see all devices that have connected to the network.

I am sure this is not advanced enough for some users but for people who want an easy, reliable plug and play wi-fi network this is a fantastic option.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Overpriced Underpowered

While they are relatively simple to setup and the app is good for monitoring your wifi they are really only capable of connecting through a single wall, I originally brought a three pack but wound up buying two more to try and get coverage in a four B/room house and I still get constant dropouts.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

How good is this???

Plugged modem in and was up and running in no time. No more kids complaining about black spots etc. Added one additional access point and the entire house is covered. I can limit internet hours when kids should be sleeping for each of their devices. Also not much loss of speed from one access point to the next. Happy days!!!

Date PurchasedNov 2018

WiFi at it's best

The Google WiFi is a cool product in terms of connectivity and set-up.
I had lot os trouble in setting up WiFi connectivity to the Ring door bell at front door from the far end of house where the router is set.
I used WiFi connectors of different brands using power line but the Google mesh system is very impressive.
I had no drop outs or connectivity issues since I installed Google WiFi in my house. The overall performance is improved very much afterwards. Very happy with the purchase.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Finally solved our home wifi issues

After 10 years in this multi level, metal framed house, we now have wifi that actually works. Over the years we’ve changed routers every 2 years or so, we’ve used wifi extenders and done everything we can to get wifi in our difficult house. Google wifi is the only thing that has worked consistently and reliably. Our home is on a sloped, rocky block, so it’s built over 3 levels, and has metal frame work in many places, all of this makes wifi diffusing to reach in places. When I heard about this system I did my research and took the plunge to spend $500 ( actually got it for $350 on the day) and we’ve never looked back. Easy set up in about 10 minutes and looks stylish around the house. The lights on the hubs are also like little night lights, which is a bonus. I got the 3 hub pack and have one next to the modem, one about 5 meters away in the lounge room then one upstairs. All work well. We can get wifi all the way down the backyard.
However, I did purchase a single device as our bottom level, which is only a rumpus room, was chipped out of sands stone and no matter where I tried it in that room, it could not find the other hubs. So there are so limitations, of course.
All in all, I cant recommend this product enough. Easy to set up and reliable, what more can you ask for.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Good Wifi is excellent!

I did a lot of research into the best solution for dead spots in our hose. (Especially in the back bedroom upstairs) and I found the Google Wi-Fi fixed the problem and then some. I was previously getting speeds of around 18MB per sec in the main area and 8MB per sec in the far bedroom. After installing Google Wifi (triple pack) I ended up with 38MB per sec in the main area and 22MB per sec in the far bedroom and no drop out or congestion across the many devices we use as a family. It has also helped with my PS4 download times which is a nice bonus. Highly recommend as its just a bit more expensive than a fancy extended Wi-Fi router.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Don't get anything else

Google WIFI is a really underrated product and I think it should be pushed more by Google 100%. I have fibre to the premises NBN and you can plug it straight into the NBN box (no other modem required) and speeds are flawless. 1 point manages my 4 bedroom house easily and runs smart home wifi bulbs and a bunch of homekit accessories.
App is great at managing the network it literally couldn't be any easier and design is A+ looks great on the bench unlike typical modems. Highly recommend.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Could be better

I needed something to get any form of internet into a studio in my back yard. My modem and only working phone socket is in my dining room on the front wall of my house, the studio is around 15 metres from that wall. I had assumed that i could put the main one connected to my modem, then have one in my bedroom which is down the hall at the back of my house, and have the third out in the studio. Stretching the wifi the distance i need, what i didnt realise is to get good signal and speeds you actually need all units within 10 metres of the one connected to my modem. So after an hour of messaging back and forth with tech support, i did get the 3rd one connected to the network and then placed in studio. It tells me the signal is weak and i only get 5mbps out there, but its enough to stream netflix etc. I get 48 in the house at most times. It would work a lot better if there was a phone line socket in my room or the spare room, then would have modem in there with the control unit, one unit in loungeroom and one unit in studio, but not paying for the phoneline to be moved or added just yet.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

awesome full house coverage

very simple to setup and great result. I have a 2 storey home and my previous wifi router was not providing good coverage upstairs.
the app to manage the wifi mesh provides simple to use tools to regularly test the mesh performance and also internet connection when not at home. A great feature for helping out the family while at work.
Phone line was in one corner of my downstairs so not really optimal for wifi coverage, however, Google Wifi provided a simple and elegant solution for my needs.
Now I have great seamless coverage throughput my home and garden

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Loving my new wifi setup

We live in a unit and have always had a problem with wifi reception. We rent so i cant cable up the unit with ethernet ports. I originally purchase the ASUS RT-AC68U and it was good buy couldn't reach half of our unit. I decided to buy a 3pack of google wifi and holy moly this thing is good and super easy. Whole unit is now covered and we never have an issue.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Very happy with it. No problems at all and setting up was a breeze

Does as advertised. Setting up was very easy and haven't had an issue with it since the day I bought it. I am able to use it all over the house and constantly get 100% coverage. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because of the cost. Could definitely be cheaper.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Amazing Wifi!

Super simple to set up, The google wifi uses MESH Technology to make sure you get the most out of your wifi. the 3 Pack covered my 6 bedroom house! If you are connecting this to the NBN you must use a modem with this as it will not connect directly to an NBN Box.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Flawless - Works With FTTP

I searched high and low for information online as to whether Google WiFi would actually work with NBN. I finally decided to just go and buy one from the store and see for myself. I can confirm it works with FTTP NBN. Simply connect to your connected port, usually 1 or 2. Then download the Google WiFi app and enable geo location and bluetooth.

Within a few minutes I was setup as my ISP (Aussie BB) doesn't require a logon (dhcp). Other ISP's may require a logon and you can enter this. Make sure your ISP doesn't use VLAN tagging or it won't work. Thankfully most ISP's don't for residential customers in Australia.

As for the performance, it's awesome and all my devices connect fine and run fast. I like the built in speed test and monitoring which will identify the problem right away, i.e. is the ISP down or a problem with one of the AP's. I only bought the single unit which covers my entire 60M apartment and I can even reach it closeby.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Solved all my problems.

When we moved my optus modem WI fi just didn't cut it anymore. Upstairs at the end of the house got no Wi fi at all. I considered a new modem or range extenders but these required a level of tech that I don't have to set up, a mate told me they had great results with Google Wi- fi mesh so I bought a 3 set.
"I" set them up using the installed app on my phone, placed them at equal spacing in the house and I now have full bars in every location of the house.....even over the street outside.
To say I was happy is an understatement, I have changed all our devices to the new Wi-fi network and everything works better. The smart TV rarely buffers on Netflix or you tube anymore.. if it does it's the NBN connection that's the problem not the Google system
May not be the "best" solution but for someone with problems and not a lot of tech to fall back on they are a great solution for the price. I did some research and they are not rated as the best of these types of system but they are several $100's cheaper and did the job for me.
A point that worries me is that Google asks you to allow Cloud to monitor some of your data info.....Yeah I didn't like that so I turned off that permission, it disables some of the app features but has no effect at all on how it works....up to you!
I recommend them to anyone.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Great Wifi product, easy to setup and just works.

Purchased the Google WiFi - 3 Pack. We have a 2 story house and have previously always had problems with slow unless you were close to the modem. Google WiFi was really easy to setup and now we get great signal everywhere including the front and back yard. I have each device connected by ethernet back to the modem. Really easy setup and it just works as it should.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Extremely simple set up

This was one of the easiest set ups ever. gone are the horor days of getting knee deep in complex settings. just just download the app and go step by step. Even a technophobe like me could understand it Lol. I am getting excellent coverage. We have a fairly small house but I have full coverage no black spots and excellent throughput. Physically it feels a little delicate but it just sits in the ione place so no big deal. Happy with it.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Is the Google Wifi System compatible with Telstra Smart Modem?
Google wifi is simple to use and yes it would work with your telstra modem. For best results you would want to disable the wifi network from your telstra modem if that is possible. I say this as typically all telco supplied modems are locked in terms of what you can configure. I have never used a telco supplied modem so youd need to establish this for yourself. Google wifi however is super simple and does what it says. I have 3 points in my house and devices move seamlessly between them and i have strong connection in all places which normal routers could not achieve in my 2 storey house. I have HFC NBN so only have the NBN supplied box which supplies 1 ethernet port to which my google wifi connects. Hope this helpsThankyou :)

Is this an actual router? I have an 85mq apartment currently serviced (well) by a Netgear AC1750. Can I onesell this, keep the Belong decoder and install a single Google Home unit. Should the coverage at least match that of my current router?
Router yes, modem no. The google wifi still needs a modem to assign it an IP address. I use a basic wifi modem that has its wifi antennas unscrewed so it has very limited wifi (in case I need to connect to it for settings etc) and google does the rest.

Can l ask you all . Will just 1 googlemesh work in my small bedroom home or will l need 3 ? Thanks kindly
The purpose of a mesh network is to extend coverage further than a normal router. If you have a small area to cover you do not need 3 access points.

Wifi