Gro Clock

Gro Clock (page 2 of 3)

James B

James BGold Coast

Worked for early wake up

I have only had the clock a few months but am soooo happy it has changed my daughters wake up time from 4am back to 6.30am. Took a couple of weeks but my daughter who has only just turned 2 totally understood the concept. My husband did the set up and sets it every night and did say it’s a bit complex but totally worth it for the extra 2.5hrs of sleep every day.

Great concept but clock screen lasted less than 1 year

The concept of this clock is great. It allows you to teach your child that they need to stay in bed/when it is appropriate to wake up.

HOWEVER...
-I do not like that the nighttime colour is blue. I have read that blue lights are not ideal to have in your bedroom.

The manufacturers warranty only lasts for 1 year (typical?). That’s about how long the digital time lasted on my clock until parts of the numbers disappeared. When I spoke to a representative about this, she seemed not to care that the time was not working and only that the colours were still functional.

When you pay upwards of $60 plus tax for a clock, you expect it to work for longer than one year.

Sonia

SoniaPerth

Will break around 12months

The clock itself for teaching your child the difference between sleep time & wake up time is great. However, the clock’s display starts to distort around the 12 month mark and ours had all but disappeared around 14months. At which point I found out it only comes with a 12month warranty. Poor performance & life span for a $60 clock. Disappointed in the gro company.

Shippy

Shippy

Completely worth it

This clock is a hassle not a help!

EXTREMELY difficult to program. EXTREMELY difficult to change the brightness.
This is the most unintuitive design i have come across in a very long while.

TIME does not keep - constantly losing 1 or 2 mins. I am constantly re-adjusting the time.

This clock is a hassle not a help! Night, night GroClock, you are going back to the store.

Too bright fix

Ad

Was brilliant until blue screen started flashing green

The gro clock was very useful. My 4 year old used to get up at the crack of dawn but after explain the gro clock now only gets up when the 'sun is out'. However we've had it about 3 months and during the night it randomly flashes green which totally freaks my son out so think we are going to have to stop using it. Haven't had it long so feel it is a waste of money. However when it was not flashing it was really useful.

Terrible design, unintuitive to all but the kids

Setting the clock and wake-up time is amazingly unintuitive compared to products from Apple that we are all now well used to. But the thing that really detracts from this product is that unless you religiously lock the keypad (fairly complicated in its own right) every night at bed time, the kid only has to press one button on the thing in the morning when they wake up at ridiculous-o'clock and the screen turns from blue to yellow with a bright sun face winking at them, signalling that it is time to run yelling into mum & dad's room. The sun hasn't actually come up and fades back to the overnight blue star within 15 seconds, but that brief yellow face is as good a green light for the kid.

Settings were invented by a Chimp

My daughter and I loved the way the clock gently transitioned from the sunny Sun to starry Star. My daughter smiled and I nodded reassuringly. It was all downhill from there as the alarm beeped away at 2am for the next 2 days. By the 3rd night I'd given up trying to work out how to turn the alarm off and half the other changes I needed to make this clock functional and now it resides, part of the landfill at our local dump. This over priced light bulb simply adds to the frustration in the day of typical time poor parents. I'm going back to a good old night light that worked well for my other two children.

L cooperQld

Amazing product

I was hesitant due to some reviews, i tried many other solutions (baby gates, black out curtains) but after my 3rd child copied the others in leaving room as soon as they woke i thought id try it for myself. Brought 3 one for each kids room and shocked and amazed it works! I wasnt sure if just a phase as new to them but so far a month in and they never leave room untill it turns yellow. As a previous review mentioned it is bright but that a positive for me as my kids dont like dark rooms we used night lights before now dont need to. only minor thing is as soon as you unplug it the clock turns off and time stops so when plug back in its yellow but mine haven't figured that out. Shame dont have battery option

Dunkyboy

DunkyboySouth East Queensland, QLD

Life is so much better - we can sleep again.

Tash

TashSydney

Great concept, but...

ramonabala

ramonabalaSydney, NSW

Helps toddlers sleep through

We had a perfect sleeper until age 3, when Our daughter started waking up in the night and calling for us. It was a shock to the system so we searched for ideas to help us. One was to cut the time of her daytime naps. The other was to get this clock so that she could tell the difference between night and day. She loves it and sets it in the night so she can watch the sun turn into stars. Generally this has worked a treat and she has started to sleep through. We've also been teaching her not to call out when The stars are on, though she sometimes still does.

2 kids differing results

Petra

PetraBrisbane

Great helping tool!!

First of all - let me make it clear....this clock will not make your kids sleep better or longer, you have to teach them :) But it sure is a great help to explain to a 2 yr old when it is ok to get out of bed in the morning! Many times my LO will sleep pass his wake up time but the other 50% of the time he will come in our bedroom 7:01, so I know he's been awake and waited for the sun :)
It's very simple and once you've had it for a while, easy to use. Definitely read the instructions...
The little story about a grumpy sleep-deprived pig is also cute. An easy read. All in all, a gret product worth the money if bought on sale :)

Michelle Tarr

Michelle TarrSydney Surrounds, NSW

Good Concept - Needs Fine Tuning

The concept is a good one and within days my 2-year-old knew to wait until the sun came up. However it is the brightest light even on the lowest light setting and the setting that is one below that is off - you can't see the picture of the star or sun without shining a light right on it. It has been waking our son up due to the brightness.
Edit: We gave up and just turned the led off altogether, it's super hard to see what you are doing if you need to change a setting but it still works and our son still knows not to get out of bed until the suns up. I rate it.

Do not buy if you travel - Broke 2 times while traveling

Besides the fact that it is a bit complicated to set, once set, it worked nicely with our kids. However, the 2 times we traveled with it, it broke!

We are from Montreal and travelled to Portugal. We used it with an adaptor, and it stopped working (only electric device that broke during thath trip). We decided to buy another one. Then, we traveled to Cuba (same electricity as Canada). When we plugged it, it stopped working again! I wrote the company and they did nothing. Just saying you should not travel with it. If so, they should write it in big. They did not offer any compensation. Now I need to buy another clock but will NEVER buy a gro clock again.

crunchy mama

crunchy mamaPerth

Works a treat for us.

We started using this when my son was just over one year old. He is now nearly three and he grasps the concept really well, and he does not dare to leave his room before Mr Sun comes up! We keep it out of his reach so he can't touch it or change it. We have just started using it for naps too. So glad we got this! It doesn't keep him asleep but it has helped him get into a routine and be calm knowing when we will let him get up.

kit1076

kit1076Brisbane

Terrible waste of money

Just a complete waste of time. The concept of was very easy for our nearly three year old to grasp so we were hopeful for no more 5am wakes. However the button lock function is activated/deactivated by pressing only one button for a few seconds. On the SECOND NIGHT my daughter worked this out and now simply overrides the key lock function, presses the button to bring up the yellow sun and proudly marches into our room stating "the sun's here now - time to wake up.' Worst $55 I ever spent.

AjB

AjBNSW

Don't buy this product!

We bought this when my daughter was around 2. It appeared to work but to be honest it was the same time when clocks were going back to regular time. In the summer months she is now back to 6am wake ups! A number of my friends have given up on the clock too!
I wouldn't buy this again.