Gro Clock

Gro Clock

Way too bright, too fiddly

The light on the Gro Clock is way too bright, it alone wakes up my toddler and once awake, that’s now it. The set-up is too fiddly and the book is too small too be effective at reading together. Do not buy.

Purchased in December 2020 for $50.00.

Nikki

NikkiPerth, WA

Useless for smart toddlers

Our 3 year old was too clued on for this clock. Particularly in summer when the real sun is up at 5am and her clock sun comes on at 6.30am, she questions why the clock and the real sun didn't come up at the same time!! Also, there is no way that an independent 3 year old is going to stay in bed just because a clock hasn't changed to yellow yet, please!! My daughter is way too smart for this clock I'm sorry.

Purchased in August 2020 at Big W for $55.00.

Sarah2013

Sarah2013Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Worked Initially

I used these a few years ago for my first 2 children, and initially they worked well in teaching my kids to stay in bed until the sun came up. However the clock stopped keeping time properly and i was forever adjusting it every few days. Only writing this review now as i wanted to see if there were any improvements as I'm looking for a new clock for my 3rd child, but might try Sam the lamb/sheep clock.

Samantha C.

Samantha C.Central, TAS

Clock that doesn’t keep time

The clock I got as a gift. Within a week of using it the time was falling more and more behind. When I reached out to Tommee Tippee (who owns gro clock) they said without a receipt they cannot help at all because they “have to be fair”.

Claire

ClaireGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Gro clock was losing power intermittently and then wouldn't turn on altogether. This is what was wrong...

Purchased at Facebook for $45.00.

Laura

LauraSouth East Queensland, QLD

Irregular

KNyman

KNymanIllawarra, NSW

Disappointing Display

Have two Gro Clocks both with display issues - lights not working as should. My children hate the fact the images have disappeared mummy can’t fix them. Would never purchase again. Waste of money with no resolution from company.

Purchased for $60.00.

Ange

AngeGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Did not work for us..

This is the last resort of trying and hoping it will work for my child, but unfortunately outcome is still the same "early riser". My little one manage to figure out how to change the time and so he can see the difference pictures on the screen ( sun and the star). I think it need to build/ design better to outsmart kids..

Purchased in April 2019 at Baby Bunting for $59.00.

Great concept but clock screen lasted less than 1 year

The concept of this clock is great. It allows you to teach your child that they need to stay in bed/when it is appropriate to wake up.

HOWEVER...
-I do not like that the nighttime colour is blue. I have read that blue lights are not ideal to have in your bedroom.

The manufacturers warranty only lasts for 1 year (typical?). That’s about how long the digital time lasted on my clock until parts of the numbers disappeared. When I spoke to a representative about this, she seemed not to care that the time was not working and only that the colours were still functional.

When you pay upwards of $60 plus tax for a clock, you expect it to work for longer than one year.

Sonia

SoniaPerth

Will break around 12months

The clock itself for teaching your child the difference between sleep time & wake up time is great. However, the clock’s display starts to distort around the 12 month mark and ours had all but disappeared around 14months. At which point I found out it only comes with a 12month warranty. Poor performance & life span for a $60 clock. Disappointed in the gro company.

This clock is a hassle not a help!

EXTREMELY difficult to program. EXTREMELY difficult to change the brightness.
This is the most unintuitive design i have come across in a very long while.

TIME does not keep - constantly losing 1 or 2 mins. I am constantly re-adjusting the time.

This clock is a hassle not a help! Night, night GroClock, you are going back to the store.

Was brilliant until blue screen started flashing green

The gro clock was very useful. My 4 year old used to get up at the crack of dawn but after explain the gro clock now only gets up when the 'sun is out'. However we've had it about 3 months and during the night it randomly flashes green which totally freaks my son out so think we are going to have to stop using it. Haven't had it long so feel it is a waste of money. However when it was not flashing it was really useful.

Ad

Terrible design, unintuitive to all but the kids

Setting the clock and wake-up time is amazingly unintuitive compared to products from Apple that we are all now well used to. But the thing that really detracts from this product is that unless you religiously lock the keypad (fairly complicated in its own right) every night at bed time, the kid only has to press one button on the thing in the morning when they wake up at ridiculous-o'clock and the screen turns from blue to yellow with a bright sun face winking at them, signalling that it is time to run yelling into mum & dad's room. The sun hasn't actually come up and fades back to the overnight blue star within 15 seconds, but that brief yellow face is as good a green light for the kid.

Tash

TashSydney

Great concept, but...

Do not buy if you travel - Broke 2 times while traveling

Besides the fact that it is a bit complicated to set, once set, it worked nicely with our kids. However, the 2 times we traveled with it, it broke!

We are from Montreal and travelled to Portugal. We used it with an adaptor, and it stopped working (only electric device that broke during thath trip). We decided to buy another one. Then, we traveled to Cuba (same electricity as Canada). When we plugged it, it stopped working again! I wrote the company and they did nothing. Just saying you should not travel with it. If so, they should write it in big. They did not offer any compensation. Now I need to buy another clock but will NEVER buy a gro clock again.

kit1076

kit1076Brisbane

Terrible waste of money

Just a complete waste of time. The concept of was very easy for our nearly three year old to grasp so we were hopeful for no more 5am wakes. However the button lock function is activated/deactivated by pressing only one button for a few seconds. On the SECOND NIGHT my daughter worked this out and now simply overrides the key lock function, presses the button to bring up the yellow sun and proudly marches into our room stating "the sun's here now - time to wake up.' Worst $55 I ever spent.

JenMc

JenMcMelbourne

Good idea except it lights up the room!

This clock seems to work for most children but even on the dimmest setting it was so bright it lit up my son's room. He went from waking at 5.30-6am to waking at 4-5am as he'd wake and see the light and think it was morning even though he knew the sun wasn't out yet.
My son learnt very quickly that the stars meant sleep time and the sun meant morning.
It was far too bright and he woke up even earlier from the light in his room.

6.30am is better than 5am!

Julie10South East Queensland, QLD

LOVE IT, BUT CRITICAL FEATURES MISSING!!

Gro Company
Susan R.Gro Company

There is dim setting on the clock, in the menu you are able to select from 3 light settings.

Julie10

We already have it on dim and it is still too bright. Also the light is blue, which is a bad colour for disrupting sleep.

Ya78

Ya78Western Australia

Waste of Money

This clock is way to expensive for what it is. I was dissapointed by the cheap quality of it when I got it out of the box. In addition:
- No battery option only plug in
- Easily manipulated back to being the sun by my own toddler!
- Dont like the navigation of the settings.
I wish I had read other reviews before I bought this but I was looking for an "easy" answer. If you are reading this and thinking of getting one - go buy some blinds for kids bedroom instead! Or go to bed earlier so you can wake with the sun like mine does :) Just dont go wasting your money you will regret it.
The sun and moon are cute.