Gro Clock

Gro Clock

Way too bright, too fiddly

The light on the Gro Clock is way too bright, it alone wakes up my toddler and once awake, that’s now it. The set-up is too fiddly and the book is too small too be effective at reading together. Do not buy.

Purchased in December 2020 for $50.00.

Nikki

NikkiPerth, WA

Useless for smart toddlers

Our 3 year old was too clued on for this clock. Particularly in summer when the real sun is up at 5am and her clock sun comes on at 6.30am, she questions why the clock and the real sun didn't come up at the same time!! Also, there is no way that an independent 3 year old is going to stay in bed just because a clock hasn't changed to yellow yet, please!! My daughter is way too smart for this clock I'm sorry.

Purchased in August 2020 at Big W for $55.00.

Samantha C.

Samantha C.Central, TAS

Clock that doesn’t keep time

The clock I got as a gift. Within a week of using it the time was falling more and more behind. When I reached out to Tommee Tippee (who owns gro clock) they said without a receipt they cannot help at all because they “have to be fair”.

KNyman

KNymanIllawarra, NSW

Disappointing Display

Have two Gro Clocks both with display issues - lights not working as should. My children hate the fact the images have disappeared mummy can’t fix them. Would never purchase again. Waste of money with no resolution from company.

Purchased for $60.00.

kam054

kam054AU

Baby loves Mr Sun!

We got the clock after 6 months of suddenly not sleeping well after 11pm. We haven’t managed to sleep until Mr Sun to appears but we have noticed she doesn’t wake crying, she talks to Mr Star instead. She’s only 2 so we expect this will take a while but here has been a definite improvement!

Sonia

SoniaPerth

Will break around 12months

The clock itself for teaching your child the difference between sleep time & wake up time is great. However, the clock’s display starts to distort around the 12 month mark and ours had all but disappeared around 14months. At which point I found out it only comes with a 12month warranty. Poor performance & life span for a $60 clock. Disappointed in the gro company.

Ad

This clock is a hassle not a help!

EXTREMELY difficult to program. EXTREMELY difficult to change the brightness.
This is the most unintuitive design i have come across in a very long while.

TIME does not keep - constantly losing 1 or 2 mins. I am constantly re-adjusting the time.

This clock is a hassle not a help! Night, night GroClock, you are going back to the store.

Terrible design, unintuitive to all but the kids

Setting the clock and wake-up time is amazingly unintuitive compared to products from Apple that we are all now well used to. But the thing that really detracts from this product is that unless you religiously lock the keypad (fairly complicated in its own right) every night at bed time, the kid only has to press one button on the thing in the morning when they wake up at ridiculous-o'clock and the screen turns from blue to yellow with a bright sun face winking at them, signalling that it is time to run yelling into mum & dad's room. The sun hasn't actually come up and fades back to the overnight blue star within 15 seconds, but that brief yellow face is as good a green light for the kid.

ramonabala

ramonabalaSydney, NSW

Helps toddlers sleep through

We had a perfect sleeper until age 3, when Our daughter started waking up in the night and calling for us. It was a shock to the system so we searched for ideas to help us. One was to cut the time of her daytime naps. The other was to get this clock so that she could tell the difference between night and day. She loves it and sets it in the night so she can watch the sun turn into stars. Generally this has worked a treat and she has started to sleep through. We've also been teaching her not to call out when The stars are on, though she sometimes still does.

2 kids differing results

Petra

PetraBrisbane

Great helping tool!!

First of all - let me make it clear....this clock will not make your kids sleep better or longer, you have to teach them :) But it sure is a great help to explain to a 2 yr old when it is ok to get out of bed in the morning! Many times my LO will sleep pass his wake up time but the other 50% of the time he will come in our bedroom 7:01, so I know he's been awake and waited for the sun :)
It's very simple and once you've had it for a while, easy to use. Definitely read the instructions...
The little story about a grumpy sleep-deprived pig is also cute. An easy read. All in all, a gret product worth the money if bought on sale :)

Michelle Tarr

Michelle TarrSydney Surrounds, NSW

Good Concept - Needs Fine Tuning

The concept is a good one and within days my 2-year-old knew to wait until the sun came up. However it is the brightest light even on the lowest light setting and the setting that is one below that is off - you can't see the picture of the star or sun without shining a light right on it. It has been waking our son up due to the brightness.
Edit: We gave up and just turned the led off altogether, it's super hard to see what you are doing if you need to change a setting but it still works and our son still knows not to get out of bed until the suns up. I rate it.

Do not buy if you travel - Broke 2 times while traveling

Besides the fact that it is a bit complicated to set, once set, it worked nicely with our kids. However, the 2 times we traveled with it, it broke!

We are from Montreal and travelled to Portugal. We used it with an adaptor, and it stopped working (only electric device that broke during thath trip). We decided to buy another one. Then, we traveled to Cuba (same electricity as Canada). When we plugged it, it stopped working again! I wrote the company and they did nothing. Just saying you should not travel with it. If so, they should write it in big. They did not offer any compensation. Now I need to buy another clock but will NEVER buy a gro clock again.

kit1076

kit1076Brisbane

Terrible waste of money

Just a complete waste of time. The concept of was very easy for our nearly three year old to grasp so we were hopeful for no more 5am wakes. However the button lock function is activated/deactivated by pressing only one button for a few seconds. On the SECOND NIGHT my daughter worked this out and now simply overrides the key lock function, presses the button to bring up the yellow sun and proudly marches into our room stating "the sun's here now - time to wake up.' Worst $55 I ever spent.

kirstan55

kirstan55AU

Love it! Minor problems

JenMc

JenMcMelbourne

Good idea except it lights up the room!

This clock seems to work for most children but even on the dimmest setting it was so bright it lit up my son's room. He went from waking at 5.30-6am to waking at 4-5am as he'd wake and see the light and think it was morning even though he knew the sun wasn't out yet.
My son learnt very quickly that the stars meant sleep time and the sun meant morning.
It was far too bright and he woke up even earlier from the light in his room.

Ya78

Ya78Western Australia

Waste of Money

This clock is way to expensive for what it is. I was dissapointed by the cheap quality of it when I got it out of the box. In addition:
- No battery option only plug in
- Easily manipulated back to being the sun by my own toddler!
- Dont like the navigation of the settings.
I wish I had read other reviews before I bought this but I was looking for an "easy" answer. If you are reading this and thinking of getting one - go buy some blinds for kids bedroom instead! Or go to bed earlier so you can wake with the sun like mine does :) Just dont go wasting your money you will regret it.
The sun and moon are cute.

eurydice79

eurydice79AU

Good product, needs battery back up.

This is a great product for helping early risers, our son is 2 1/2 and with the lighter summer mornings started getting up earlier and earlier, with the Gro Clock he won't get out of bed until 6.30am and gets really excited when he sees the "sun" picture come up and comes to tell us all about it! My only problem with this product is there is no battery back up - he loves it so much that he often disconnects the power cord out the back to he can sleep with the clock in his bed, and this completely resets all the settings, so the next morning he gets up 6am or earlier.
Helped us get a sleep-in in the mornings (if you call 6.30am a sleep in!).
Needs battery back up so that even if disconnected, still works.

modernmummy

modernmummyAU

Help keep kids in bed!!!

overall i would say the Gro clock has been benificial to us. i think our son was a little young to understand it at first (2 years) but definately by 2.5 he understood and it was a great way to teach him to sleep in later than 5.30am!!!
that you program what times work for you and you can program 2 different settings for day sleeps. also like it has a parent lock so that little fingers cant change the time.
the light even though turned down is quite bright. also our son is just on 3 and has learnt that if the parent lock is on if he just unplugs it and plugs back in then it disarms the lock and he can turn on the sun. a wall mounted clock would be good.

Mazza75

Mazza75AU

Great Idea

ozzyturn
ozzyturn

Did you know you can adjust the light level? There's a light icon and settings of 0-10.