H&R Block
See the Best Tax Preparation Services in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by H&R Block

Pros

High level of expertise
Friendly and personable service
Prompt and efficient lodgment of returns

• Timeliness

Suggest utilise another tax agent

Head office not cooperative. Still trying to resolve issues without resorting to this review. No email replies. No resolve. Massive increase in fees, hence suggest shop elsewhere. I just want no stress hence why I didn’t want to do tax myself, but achieved the opposite.

Disie
DisieSouth Australia

Service not great, but ease of portal great, will ask around next year

Not good service for the $89 I paid had to keep ringing as agents did not ring back like they said they would,

Grace
GraceGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

The McDonalds of Tax Accountants

Hit & miss
Not all accountants are prescriptive to the ato’s guidelines and are aware of them all.
They offer the minimal service, depending on the lottery draw of the tax accountant you get allocated.
So false advertising of maximising a return is a misnomer.
Also their rates and fees are indicative only and are more or less that what they advertise in any of their services. They are not strict on their pricing.

Hazel F.H&R BlockSend a private message

McDonalds has better service than them

Jacqueline
Jacqueline

The worst Tax Agents ever

Years ago I used these Agents every year until they added my child support payments into my claim therefore reducing my refund. This went on for three years until I went back and a different agent told me they shouldn’t have done that, but it was too late to claim for the incompetence of that agent. After enquiring about the agent, I was told she no longer works for them

Pasan
PasanSouth East Queensland, QLD

Disappointing Service from H & R Block

We were customers since 2016, but don't feel like we must continue to be.
You should tell your customer on the fees of each tax component before proceeding, but instead none of them are explained and ripping off at the end. At least please give heads up, this will cost you this much etc.

Also even though we (both myself and wife) mentioned that we're doing tax for both, you have only allocated 1/2 hour for us.
Very disappointing service and we're not happy with your service.
Thanks!

Waste of time

Arrived early for my appointment, 45 minutes later I was still waiting. No explanation, no reason, no apology. It didn’t help that I could overhear the agent I was meant to be seeing and he didn’t seem to have much of an idea about what he was doing. I felt for the poor customer he was dealing with. I won’t be going back.

• Timeliness
  • Incentivised Review No
Trev

Standard pointless reply, don’t know why you bother

Should I do my own tax return or hire a tax agent to do it for me?

Tax time can be a head-scratcher for many Aussies, which is why so many are turning to tax agents to get them through all the paperwork. We go through when you might want to consider lodging your tax return yourself, and situations when an accountant might be a good idea.

Clara V.

Credit Card Awards 2020

credit-card-awards-2020
fu
fuGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Never using hr block again

Took them around a week to process my refund. My partner did hers through the ATO and got her refund processed the same day. I paid over a $100 for the delay? I also messaged/contacted hr block in regarding this and still no response.

Unreliable and unprofessional

Find out how H&R Block compares to other Tax Preparation Services

Worst tax return experience ever

I did my tax returns in august and it has Ben lodged till February. Very inexperienced staff. Every time they say it would done in the week. Would not recommend. Dissatisfied and disappointed.

Teejay
Teejay

Horrible experiences

Went through south Melbourne branch. Had a phone conversation. Asked very generic questions to file for tax. I later on declined to pursue their services being not so satisfied with the lack of attempts to try and get the most out of my tax. Had to pay their full online fee for it. They pushed me for it. Very bad. Please do not waste your time with them. Never ever will I recommend your services.

Terrible service

Service doesn't even rate the required 1 star i had to enter I was changed from my original accountant because they were no longer able to do trusts a guy took over my tax and he left after the first BAS then transferred to a guy in SA, I'm in Tas It has been a bloody nightmare ever since loosing my original accountant, I am constantly ringing for my BAS to be completed to the point I now have the government trying to charge me late lodgement fees, Thank God this is the last of my contract caus I am so over it the service is absolutely shocking

• Incentivised Review No

James H.
James H.Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Worst tax experience of my life

I am still trying to get my tax return from H&R Block (2 months waiting). No one seems to care. Avoid these guys at all costs, i've shown up to the office multiple times to get answers, i've called 7 times now and still not one solution for something that should be VERY simple.

Overcharged on fee!

I was charged additional fees which do not apply to my tax return. It has been next to impossible to get a response from anyone, the response I have received has been very unprofessional. I have been a customer for over ten years, this how loyal customers are treated.

Vicky D.
Vicky D.

Limited knowledge on Crypto taxes

This is the first time I lodged my tax with HR block. First, they took two months to go through my application. After two months, one of their accountants asked me for the same documents I submitted two months ago. And after the lodgement, they came up with the wrong numbers for my crypto trading. When I saw another tax consultant, they processed my application within a week and correctly calculated it. It is the worst experience I have ever had in my life with the tax agent.

John P.
John P.asked

Have jus used your tax calculator estimate online and results on tax back is far off what ATO calculator shows. How or why is there a huge gap.

Jac
Jacasked

I just have a query about the timing of my tax return, I had an appointment on the 23rd July but ATO didn’t receive it until the 27th July ( not sure why as I thought the agent was meant to submit it online instantly). I received my assessment notice today with refund outcome saying they have transferred to the account nominated which is H&R. How long does it take to then transfer to my account?

Trish.M
Trish.Masked

Hi
Just query why it takes 4 days for you guys to take fee out before you deposit return via eft from the date you get this as I was advised of this?

Get an answer from our members and H&R Block representatives

About H&R Block Tax Accountants

H&R Block has been in operation for over 50 years, and has a variety of service options to suit people in all kinds of financial circumstances.

With over 400 offices nation-wide that are open both nights and weekends, they're suited to those working full-time or have busy lifestyles.

H&R Block offers a host of flexible options when it comes to tax solutions, including the following services:

• Tax services for individuals, letting you choose from an in-office tax return, an online DIY tax return, or enlisting the help of an online tax adviser, who can give you the best of both worlds, letting you fill out your return online but helping you out if you get stuck.
  • Tax services for businesses, including taxation and other financial advice for sole traders, partnerships, small businesses, company trusts, and bookkeeping services.
  • Other financial services, including financial planning, Self Managed Super Funds (SMSF), and MoneyHub, which lets you get a free credit score.

H&R Block also does specialised individual tax servies including US Citizens Tax, Late or Prior returns if you've missed a lodgement deadline, and property investor tax returns. They also do second look assessments, which check whether you've received the maximum amount for a tax return.

Points of praise for H&R Block:

• H&R Block’s friendly and professional service was widely praised by customers.
  • Tax advice was provided in a friendly, timely and professional manner. According to reviewers, tax solutions consistently drew upon their tax accountants’ clear expertise. Not only that, but all the steps of the process were explained to them in a way that was easy to understand.
  • The company’s honesty and candour in its dealings was highly appreciated.
  • Many first-time customers stated that they’d happily return to H&R Block to help with next year’s tax return, while long-term customers confidently recommended H&R Block to anyone looking for high quality tax advice.

ProductReview_2022 Awards_logo

H&R Block is a proud 2022 Award Winner for Best Tax Preparation Service. Top scores were awarded for the company’s transparency regarding its business practices, as well as its timeliness in responding to client queries and processing tax returns.