H&R Block
See the Best Tax Preparation Services in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by H&R Block

Pros

High level of expertise
Friendly and personable service
Prompt and efficient lodgment of returns

Vanessa
VanessaPerth, WA

Absolutely not.

Too much for 11 weeks

Hazel F.H&R BlockSend a private message

Quite a disappointing experience for my first paid tax return

I have always done my own tax returns in the previous years but with some investments at hand now, I have reached out to my local H&R branch due to the overwhelming positive review. Unfortunately my personal experience was really disappointing and needed constantly chase up for any response.

I won’t be using their service again and also finds the credibility of these review questionable.

tmacGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

AVOID RICHMOND BRANCH AT ALL COSTS

Failed to complete Tax Return in allocated time and ignored messages and follow up calls for 8+days! The excuse offered by consultant and the manager was to gaslight me and ask I wanted my file made inactive - they had been busy themselves. Went to the HAMPTON PARK branch to see Radhika who is amazing, efficient, kind and intelligent. Easy service, no stress - have your phone appointments at OTHER BRANCHES. Richmond is too busy to deal with clients properly.

Hi Team, I’ve already taken my custom to another store

J Dale
J DaleMid North Coast, NSW

2021.return.

Have been using Hr block since 2006 for small business the service this year was very poor a charge of $439 for one piece of paper. Didn't get a copy of the return nor I don't get a tax invoice for payment. Each year the price jumps & quality service go's down. So they just lost a loyal customer.

Jess
JessCoomalie, NT

3 weeks to submit tax return

We had our tax done on the same day, 14 July, mine was submitted 10 days later and my partners has only just been submitted on the 3rd Aug. Terrible service from the Palmerston office. The receptionist is hard to understand over the phone also, doesn't say that you called H & R block just her name so that confuses people too. They also told us we could not have deductions for our rental property which we were entitled too. We will not be going back there again or to any H & R Block office again

Tom Duncan Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Tax Return.

Got my tax return done at Newton SA branch this morning. Never again. Girl doing my return wasn't trained and had to keep asking another staff member for assistance. Could hardly understand her due to different language. Initially got my return wrong - had to amend it. What should have taken maybe 20 minutes took over an hour to do. Could not recommend to anyone. Wont be using HR Block again - certainly not the Newton SA branch.

Tom Duncan

Thomas Alexander Duncan. Mob 0409941735. Office attended was Newton. Gorge Rd. SA

Hazel F.H&R BlockSend a private message

Thank you for sharing the information.

Should I do my own tax return or hire a tax agent to do it for me?

Tax time can be a head-scratcher for many Aussies, which is why so many are turning to tax agents to get them through all the paperwork. We go through when you might want to consider lodging your tax return yourself, and situations when an accountant might be a good idea.

Clara V.

Credit Card Awards 2020

credit-card-awards-2020
Phero J.
Phero J.South East Queensland, QLD

Good accountants, but the runaround when you need them urgently is unbelievable.

While HR block are knowledgeable and make taxes easy (when you go in organized at least), when you really need to speak to your accountant in a pinch it is damn near impossible. You can only call or email the head office, who then redirect you to the local branch. And then the ever fruitful "we'll call you when available", inevitably never happens. Just fix the communication issues and this would be the top tax company. Very frustrated and angry at the moment.

Amanda N.
Amanda N.

Very slow processing after appointment

It’s been 5 working days and my tax hasn’t even been lodged with the tax office yet, most people want their tax quickly, not for it to be all filled in but not be lodged
On a better note, I was happy with the service on the day of completing the paperwork

Overcharging

I was with there for 15 minutes and was charged $148.00 and of that time time we spent about three minutes on salutations. I'm a pensioner and make $2000.00 in extra income and they class that as a business tax preparation. If it wasn't for my extra income I wouldn't go there. They have taken 7.5% of my additional income for 15 minutes work and my return is an exact copy of the previous years. So much for there fake advertising that returns start at $99.00. You just couldn't get any simpler than my return.

WaffleMe
WaffleMeMelbourne

3 agents, 4 appointments, 7 calls, and my assessment is still incomplete.

Dario B.Perth

Cheap but not value. Multiple online portals, call centres and offices working in silos.

Hazel F.H&R BlockSend a private message

Thank you Dario. I will pass this onto the marketing team for their review. Kind Regards, H&R Block Team.

DoreenrunnerMelbourne

Software errors- accountant errors

Doreenrunner

Been 6 days and no response to my messages in the Hrblock account. Watch that once you pay...good luck with customer service.

Doreenrunner

Dont bother, took 8 days to reply and in top of that they wanted me to pay 30 something extra to file correction. Good luck!

Nic
NicGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

so rude

one of the girls on the phone was so unprofessional and the man i spoke to about help with my taxes was so rude and spoke down to me the whole time. very unprofessional and clearly didn't want to talk to me at all. literally no reason for it i was coming to get some help and was suggested by a friend

ScottSydney, NSW

Very disappointed

My accountant of 5 years left branch without any notice to me.
Replacement accountant didn’t want to help or advise me with application for job keeper.
Left feeling distressed,worried and upset.
Now worried if I can access all my documents as he hung up on me.
No empathy shown to my situation as I have been left out of work.

John P.
John P.asked

Have jus used your tax calculator estimate online and results on tax back is far off what ATO calculator shows. How or why is there a huge gap.

Jac
Jacasked

I just have a query about the timing of my tax return, I had an appointment on the 23rd July but ATO didn’t receive it until the 27th July ( not sure why as I thought the agent was meant to submit it online instantly). I received my assessment notice today with refund outcome saying they have transferred to the account nominated which is H&R. How long does it take to then transfer to my account?

Trish.M
Trish.Masked

Hi
Just query why it takes 4 days for you guys to take fee out before you deposit return via eft from the date you get this as I was advised of this?

Get an answer from our members and H&R Block representatives

About H&R Block Tax Accountants

H&R Block has been in operation for over 50 years, and has a variety of service options to suit people in all kinds of financial circumstances.

With over 400 offices nation-wide that are open both nights and weekends, they're suited to those working full-time or have busy lifestyles.

H&R Block offers a host of flexible options when it comes to tax solutions, including the following services:

• Tax services for individuals, letting you choose from an in-office tax return, an online DIY tax return, or enlisting the help of an online tax adviser, who can give you the best of both worlds, letting you fill out your return online but helping you out if you get stuck.
  • Tax services for businesses, including taxation and other financial advice for sole traders, partnerships, small businesses, company trusts, and bookkeeping services.
  • Other financial services, including financial planning, Self Managed Super Funds (SMSF), and MoneyHub, which lets you get a free credit score.

H&R Block also does specialised individual tax servies including US Citizens Tax, Late or Prior returns if you've missed a lodgement deadline, and property investor tax returns. They also do second look assessments, which check whether you've received the maximum amount for a tax return.

Points of praise for H&R Block:

• H&R Block’s friendly and professional service was widely praised by customers.
  • Tax advice was provided in a friendly, timely and professional manner. According to reviewers, tax solutions consistently drew upon their tax accountants’ clear expertise. Not only that, but all the steps of the process were explained to them in a way that was easy to understand.
  • The company’s honesty and candour in its dealings was highly appreciated.
  • Many first-time customers stated that they’d happily return to H&R Block to help with next year’s tax return, while long-term customers confidently recommended H&R Block to anyone looking for high quality tax advice.

ProductReview_2022 Awards_logo

H&R Block is a proud 2022 Award Winner for Best Tax Preparation Service. Top scores were awarded for the company’s transparency regarding its business practices, as well as its timeliness in responding to client queries and processing tax returns.