Harley-Davidson Road King FLHR

Harley-Davidson Road King FLHR

See the Best Cruiser Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

A well sorted out bike

I have owned this bike for nearly 2 years now and love it. It feels like it was designed just for me. I have 18500km on it and have had no issues. It still has the original rear tyre which looks like it will do another 3000 to 4000 k. I have put a Memphis shades batwing fairing on which Im not sure if its that much better than the stock one which worked really well. Love the cruise control and the linked abs brakes. Fantastic bike for the highway. I was able to ride from Coffs Harbour to Melbourne in 1 day with out too much fatigue. I couldn't have done that on any of my other bikes. Bought my first Harley when I was 18 and I am now 59 so I have had a few. Love the handling but you need to be careful under 5 kph as its a big bike and it can tip over. Above that and its fantastic. Also need to be careful when a pillion gets on for the same reason. The bikes weight makes it very stable when there is cross winds or trucks coming from head on. Had a slight valve train tick around 2200 rpm that the dealer said was normal. My friend with the same M8 engine also had this tick. I changed the oil to Penrite 20-50 full synthetic oil and the tick is so faint that its really just normal valve train noise and can be considered gone. Traded in a 2010.model road king and the new engine is better.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

great motorcycle

I bought the new 2017 Road King last November and have just done the 8000km service. I couldn't be happier with it, The new 107ci single cam motor has 150nm torque and for a Harley even puts out reasonable HP at the back wheel. It feels much stronger than the 103 cube motor. My wife and I took off a week after I bought the bike (just after the first service) and we did 4,600km over the next 9 days down the south east coast of Queensland, NSW and Victoria and she didn't whinge once. This is especially relevant as I have been married for 36 years. She loves coming on the back so it is a bike we can enjoy together. Vibration is minimal compared to the previous model and suspension is night and day with HD getting rid of the air rear shocks and upgrading the front suspension as well. Over really bad roads you can still get a kick up the backside occasionally but far less often than before. The front suspension is great and you are always going to get a bit of a kick from the rear on bad roads on pretty well any cruiser because of the short travel
This is the 34th bike I have owned and this is looking like it will be one the best bikes I have ridden. It has taken me a long time to get into cruisers, this is only the second cruiser I have bought but I am really enjoying the relaxed ride but can still give it the berries when I want to have a bit of fun.
I thought I would hate the linked brakes but these work fine as well and for a big heavy bike it stops very quickly.
Time will tell about reliability as the 107 8 valve engine is new but I don't expect any issues to be honest.
I would recommend this bike without doubt.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Perfect mile eater

My first Harley. 2012 model now 3 years old. 45000k's including a lap of Australia two up towing a trailer. The only issue I've had is the gear lever fell off somehow and was never seen again. It was replaced under warranty. Very happy.
Update. nearly 5 years old now and still giving me faithful service.

Date PurchasedFeb 2012

King of the Road

I've had sports bikes for nearly 40 years - still have one in fact and thought I should get something a little more comfortable.
The Road King is spot-on. Comfortable, relaxed riding with loads of torque, Cruise Control and it looks and sounds great too.
No problems with reliability either - excellent machine!
Comfortable - looks and sounds awsome
Heavy but low to the ground

I have an FLHRI 2005 Road King Peace Officer edition. I will be riding from San Fran through San Diego along the Mexican border to New Orleans then north to Memphis and back west to California through Las Vegas, in August. Anybody have any tips or suggestions about the trip or the bike? I am an Australian riding with a couple of Americans.
Run good quality oil preferably synthetic and put an oil cooler on. Check your primary chain has not over tightened if you have the automatic tensioner. If your bike has done a lot of miles check your cam chain adjusters are not worn out and have a good time. Never been to America so I cant help you with your travel plans. Wish I was riding with you. From another AustralianThanks a lot. You would be welcome to join . A friend is flying from Vietnam to join us in New Orleans for 10 days riding back to California..

Road King FLHR