Harley-Davidson Sportster

Harley-Davidson Sportster Questions & Answers

1200 Custom, Iron 883, SuperLow, etc...

15 questions from our users

Kris.R

Kris.Rasked

Hello guys!!

I bought a new iron 1200 a few days ago and I just found that it’s full of slight scratches especially on the fuel tank.
Tank is full of circle scratches and it’s seems that somebody was cleaning the bike with wrong cleaning equipments..
I’m going to bring back the bike to dealer for sure..
Also I started to worry that my bike was not a brand new.
Is there any chance of that scenario?
Is there any way to confirm that my bike is actually brand new?
I will appreciate your help guys !

Leigh Jensen

The only way to fudge the mileage on a newer Harley is to replace the speedo AND the ECU, which becomes expensive, as the vehicle mileage is recorded in the ECU. A new speedo will sync to the existing ECU and display the bike mileage straight away. Almost all paint has swirl marks, and if you use the bike it will pick up a few marks just through regular use, so unless they are actual scratches or chips I wouldn't stress too much.

Brett Masked

Sportster Iron 883

How much does the 1600 ks service cost?

MJR-Love To Test
MJR-Love To Test

Hi Brett. Average cost of a H.D. service according to the blogs I read seems to be around $ 350. I could not specifically find a first service cost. Non H.D. dealers might be cheaper but probably best to keep it " in house " for the first few services. Hope this helps. Cheers, Michael.

Brett M

Thanks Michael. I got mine done yesterday at Brisbane. $430, I guess I'll be paying these prices while it's under warranty. Thanks again mate.

Paul k

Paul kasked

I think I’m needing a clutch on my sportster xl1200c 2005 , I just bought bike and clutch lever has to be all the way in and if front brake is not applied and in gear bike creeps foward? I’ve replaced clutch cable and adjusted clutch several times it’s still the same? I was told by the original owner that bike has a Rivera primo pro performance clutch , any one know if I can reuse the basket over again and just replace the friction and steel plates, I don’t know what was replaced, I’m thinking and spending 600 bucks on the Barnet scorpion performance clutch assembly with new hub and pressure plate, any info would be great. thanks Paul k Longisland

Daniel

Danielasked

Sportster Iron 883

Hi people,am thinking about buying a new Harley 883 iron.Am not looking for a rocket,and as long as it moves smartly I'll be happy.Ive owned bikes in the past,but never a harley.any feed back is most welcome, thanks.

Leigh Jensen

I would always recommend the 1200 - essentially the same bike, but why wouldn't want to have the option to use a bit more power?

Hi Daniel.
You just described the Iron 883 .its no rocket but can get the job done, if riding around town is your job.
On the freeway it can get up & go but I have noticed after 1 month what everyone else is talking about.
When I go riding with friends & we lane split I get left with the car's.
It is a beautiful bike thats fun to ride but I wish it had a bit more oomph.
But I do love it so.

Fernando

Fernandoasked

Oil pressure light on after oil change, any ideas?

Leigh Jensen

Have you dislodged the wires on the oil pressure sender unit? It's directly below the oil filter.

Not really as I don't own it. Only had it for a weekend but faulty bumped oil sender perhaps ? A bit less oil put in due to new filter ? Software problem that may need resetting? Just some ideas.

BeeKay

BeeKayasked

Sportster Iron 883

I am new to the HD fold from a long and loyal Jap big Hp bike following. Just traded my ZX14 Ninja for a 2017 Iron 883 with V & H Short shot pipes and Stage 1 air. Despite the massive yearning for more power coming off the Kwaka I still enjoy riding the Iron more than ever before. It’s raw and involving and I made the right decision, but,..... still need more power. When I have enough $$$ saved I am looking at V&H FP3 Fuelpack tuner and S&S Hooligan (883-1200) conversion kit fitted by someone who knows this product. Can someone let me know if this power gain will scratch my itch. I’m not expecting 150Hp but need more low down and smoother linear torque. Also do I need something else to take this upgrade bearing in mind $$$ ?
Thanks, Brian K

David N

David Nasked

1991 sportster, 25000 miles, top end a bit more noisy 'clickety' than i would like. Is there an oil that would help quiet it a bit? Running 20w 50 non synthetic

Deej

Deejasked

Harley davidson xl sportster 883 iron 2012 can I put a 2015 street 500 motor in it?

Mandy O

Mandy Oasked

Is the 2015 iron good?

kevin

kevinasked

Sportster 1200 Custom

I'm trying to find frame mounted highway pegs for my 2008 custom1200 xl sportster. But I don't know my frame size. Any help?

Joey

Joeyasked

Was wondering what are stock lengths of the throthle cables on a 2005 8i3 sportster.ordered a few.one was way to smal talkin inches.other the incerts that go into houing directly into handle bars to throtle link was way to big.i mean the cord i purchad....4

Sunset_Sam
Sunset_Sam

XL 883C Custom 1999-2006 ... Stock clutch cable length 53" ... Stock Throttle idle cable length 34" (86cm)

Roley
Roley

Hi back Joey;
I think because Harley made so many running changers with a lot of their bikes over the years that it would pay to quote your VIN number to a Harley dealer for the parts or anything one may need in service items to obtain the correct item. Of course once you have the correct part number for an item then you can go shopping for the best price.

wes

wesasked

Sportster Roadster

Is the roadster the same frame and suspension as the custom, and what size fuel tank does it have standard ?

Terry

The custom models are generally the standard model with more chrome and fancier paint so the frame will always be the same. Suspension varies as does wheel and tyre sizes for the Low and such but probably not for the Custom. Fuel capacity would be the same, you have not specified the model year, probably 12.9 litres. Mine is a 9 litre. For money spent and smile factor I recommend an Iron with an S&S 1200 kit with S&S filter and exhaust (different power output).

Tom

Tomasked

Sportster Iron 883

Can a beginner rider learn on this easily enough? 60kg, 6,1"

Rod

If your a beginner the 883 would suit better it is a similar bike less horsepower more suited to a beginner

It is not a learner approved bike in Australia but the new 500 is

Xin Wang
Xin Wang

It is not a LAMS bike in many states, so you can't ride it in your first three years. After that, it is a good entry bike for owning Harley Davidson but given your height figure, I 'd say go for Softail.

Twiggy 76

Twiggy 76asked

I am ordering a duplicate title for my 1976 harley davidson sportster and they're asking about the ccs, what is that exactly??

Terry

This is your engine capacity, which for a '76 model is 1000cc (cubic centimetres) or 61 cubic inches

Mark B

Mark Basked

Am buying a xl1200c from a dealer with 30,000 klms only. I have heard these motors have problems.....what's the verdict?

Gort
Gort

I had to sell mine within a year had only done 1000klms. I did not have it long enough to find any problems

Rod

Not true the motors are super reliable easy to work on you won't go wrong

Leigh Jensen

With regular services many people are getting more than 300,000km from these engines - unless you thrash it to death it'll be fine.

Get an answer from our members and Harley-Davidson representatives