HBF Home and Contents

• Home & Contents (2)
    • Home Only (1)
pOOLOWNER

pOOLOWNERPerth, WA

Very poor experience - impersonal and drawn out

I am just waiting for this current claim issue to play out (am currently in process of challenging claim refusal)and I am finding a new insurer. Made claim in January. HBF sent out a pool expert who advised repairs should be done. HBF sent out a second 'expert' - a construction manager who after less than fifteen minutes at our property made a conclusion that faulty workmanship was the cause of pool issues. It has taken two months and a lot of follow up to get this advice - contrary to the advice of the pool person they sent out - and without any proper diagnostics. claims are protracted, and clients NOT given benefit of the doubt. claim no. hbf202299661.

Coverage TypeHome & Contents
Property TypeHouse
Type of ClaimEscape of Liquid
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim ApprovedNo
Claim DateJanuary 2020
Nitin Setia

Nitin SetiaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Stay Away from HBF/CGU and be safe for your most valuable asset

Coverage TypeHome Only
Property TypeApartment/Unit
Type of ClaimVandalism/Malicious Damage
Claim DateMarch 2019
Josh4001

Josh4001Perth, WA

Landlords Policy -One month and claim not processed.

Coverage TypeHome & Contents
Property TypeHouse
Claim ApprovedYes
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Home and Contents Insurance

Find out how HBF Home and Contents compares to other Home and Contents Insurance

jak2015

jak2015Perth, WA

Storm Claim for Loss of Fridge Contents

When insured with SGIO, we were allowed a $300 claim for lost food items with no excess to pay and no evidence required other than there having been no power.

HBF required a fully itemised list with evidence and we need to pay the $550 excess.

The only reason we will bother is because we have expensive refrigerated medication to replace and a good collection of cheese, condiments and frozen goods to replace that will take us past that amount to replace.

Stay far away! Abysmal process and incompetence all round by HBF/CGU Insurance

BCA

BCAPerth

BEWARE. DO NOT INSURE your home with HBF

Absolute disgrace. 6 weeks following our home being damaged in a storm our claim has been denied. Building company appointed by HBF in W.A was so slow and disjointed. House secured by cheap tarpaulins as supplied by builder sent by insurer and THAT IS iT! House now exposured to weather, asbestos exposed and DENIED! Stay away.

HBF T.HBF

Hi BCA, we would really like to review the situation with you. If you send us an email to social@hbf.com.au with your details we can organise someone from the Member Experience team get in touch - Lauren

Be wary

memeng

memengNot Australia nor New Zealand

Terrible

BEWARE! They couldn't even get the details right. First they put WRONG middle name, took 2 visits to the branch to rectify it. Secondly, they didn't have a category for "apartment" so they put it as a "unit". They actually charged more when I moved from a hotel-apartment to a newly built-super secure-apartment. Reason given: change of postcode, even though already explained that there are plenty of security system in place, the apartment is not even on the ground floor! Thirdly, they put in the WRONG amounts to be insured. After cancelling the policy they kept on sending junk mails even after being told not to plenty of time. Do NOT get involved with them!

Everything.

Laurie

Laurieasked

I made a Claim with HBF (Building & Contents Insurance) approximately 12 months ago for storm damage to a side fence and water pouring through a ceiling vent in the laundry.
HBF contracted a Building Company (Barclays) to inspect the damage and make an assessment. Barclays upon inspecting the fence (on my side only) stated that the claim may be rejected, due to no cracking in the fence panels. The fence was at a steep lean, and on the my neighbours side was a drop of approximately 4 metres. The neighbour had a pool on his side. There was great concern that the fence would give way and dislodge large amounts of soil into the neighbour's pool.
The Barclays Assessor did no go over and inspect the fence from the neighbour's side, where there was large cracking to the fence panel. The neighbour lodged a claim for the fence with his Insurance Company, which was accepted.
I contacted HBF Insurance and complained that Barclay's did not inspect the fence from my neighbour's side. HBF eventually repaired the fence.
I then had issues with the laundry ceiling, water leakage, as Barclay's rejected the fact that the ceiling vent, from which storm water was coming through from the roof, should not be replaced as damage was considered "fair wear and tear"
I tried to explain that when the water was pouring through the ceiling vent, same was dislodged and broke up upon hitting the floor. After rejecting Barclay's assertion that the ceiling vent (worth all of $30) was damaged by "fair wear and tear" the ceiling vent was replaced.
I lodged a complaint with Barclay's, explaining the fact that they as the Contractor for HBF Insurance they are, in my opinion, incompetent. I never received a reply.
I now find that my ceiling panels in kitchen, dining and family room (all in one) have moved somewhat and posed a very real threat of total collapse. This area is very close to where I had storm damage last year.
I explained to HBF Insurance that movement in the ceiling panels could be due to earth tremors that were felt from down South through to Perth. This occurred last September/October 2018. So HBF put the claim through as "earthquake" at this point as the area had not been inspected at that stage.
I contacted HBF Insurance and again Barclay's Contractors were assigned to inspect the damage,
The assessor advised me that the ceiling had moved at least 2" and in fact had cracked the side wall, as a result of the movement (he showed me where the wall had cracked) The assessor made immediate arrangements for the ceiling to be repaired as a temporary measure, to make safe. I do appreciate this.
I now find that contact from HBF Insurance has denied the claim as they consider that damage to the ceiling is "fair wear and tear" as the glue that holds the ceiling panels in place, had come away.
When I explained that the ceiling had moved with such force that the side wall (interior) was cracked, the Lady from HBF advised me that Barclay's Report made no mention of the cracked interior wall.
I contend that damage to the ceiling panels could very well be due to the area being subject to storm damage last year, or in fact earth tremors (as previously explained)
I explained to HBF Claims Officer that I have no faith whatsoever in Barclay's, due to past and present experience, and that I will escalate my Claim as far as I can go, she said to disregard the "rejection of claim advice" and that she will arrange for another Building Company to carry out another inspection.
It seems to me that HBF rejected my claim in this instance by reading an incomplete and incompetent report from Barclay's.
I have only ever made two Claims with HBF Insurance with Building and Contents, and on both occasions, Barclay's have been found seriously wanting (other claims I have made..M/V and Caravan have been handled to my complete satisfaction)
My experience with HBF Insurance (Building and Contents) has been far from pleasant, so far. In all the years I have been insured, I have never found such incompetence, on the part of an Insurance Company.
If my Claim is not settled to my satisfaction, I will lodge a "Further Review" with both HBF Internal Dispute Area and the Financial Onbudsman
Regards Laurie TYLER
CLAIM No. 191578679

HBF T.HBF

Hi Laurie, thank you for reaching out about your recent experience. If you can send us a message on Facebook with the below link or by emailing us at memberservice@hbf.com.au we can refer this to our member experience team to be looked into. We look forward to hearing from you soon - Hayden

Get an answer from our members and HBF representatives