HBF Travel Insurance

1.9

Left alone when truely needed what I paid for.

After 6 years on HBF private health, paying $86 a month for up to 6 years and only using it once for a dental checkup, I naturally went for HBF Travel insurance for the 6 months of the years I would travel.

In Sep 2017 I fell down a mountain and open fractured my toe. As I paid for my insurance while in the airport in Indonesia, I was left, Lying in a hospital . . . . dripping from my almost ripped off toe. For 8 hours I argued that I was a valued customer for 6 years with no claim and yet they would leave my High and dry when I needed it most.

I came back to Australia and cancelled all of my insurance with HBF.

If you leave your customer when you are needed the most that is a bad business move.

HBF, lift your game.

angry

angryPerth, WA

Don't Waste Your Money

Do not deal with hbf travel insurance complete waste of money.
    I recently had a dental emergency while in London costing over 1000.00AUD. When i tried to claim i was told that it was not covered because it was not a specific event. HBF claim it was tooth maintenance. An emergency root canal is not tooth maintenance. Well i don't know what would qualify as a specific event but i would have thought that an emergency root canal would be covered. Way to go HBF you just lost all our insurance business and i will be telling all my friends.

Ralph

RalphPerth

Not competitive

HBF insurance is very, very expensive for aged customers even if they have membership. Further, their cover levels are less generous than other well known and reliable companies.....

Check it out and get the quotes before you commit to HBF.

Seeing the lack of competitiveness in this area I am now tempted to check out my Health Insurance! Am I paying too much compared to the market price? I now think I might be!

Find out how HBF Travel Insurance compares to other Travel Insurance

No help at all

My wife is in a Dubai hospital by herself with my almost 2year old daughter, I am offshore on a ship. My daughter had a fit on a plane right at boarding time. If not stressful enough when she called HBF to sought the insurance not only was the operator not helpful but piled on things that is impossible to obtain from where we are. Will be cancelling all dealing with HBF.

HBF T.HBF

Very bad claims support team

Hi, I have taken travel insurance from hbf and when I wanted to claim, the claim team member did not even ask me if I am ok to talk and just saying as per policy x, this is a exclusion and forward me to underwriting team for refund if possible. I asked to call me back in 30 min as I am heading to a meeting and I need to talk further on this. She said ok.
    I did not receive any call so I called back and asked about my claim and surprisingly the member told your claim is rejected and need a formal process to challenge their decision . I told her like without getting full details how can one reject claim. She admitted and said she will forward the email to call me back at 11.30am but I did not get call again.

Very bad experience

Lost travel documentation sent May 24th for reimbursement of trip cancelled

Patsy
    Patsy

Thank you Lauren however a HBF representative has now contacted me and appologised and I have been assured that there will be reimbursement into my bank account within 72 hours

C. Hutchinson

C. HutchinsonPerth, WA

Worst experience of my life

My daughter got Denghi Fever while volunteering in Bali. She was admitted to hospital and given advice to fly home before she deteriorated. She flew home under advice from doctors but HBF say, that because she didn't get their permission she is not able to claim this fare or a refund for her return airfare she had previously paid for. I don't think anyone would get paid out if they are refusing in this cut and dry claim. Check reviews before you take out travel insurance.

HBF T.HBF

What's the point of the insurance?

Disappointed. Flight suddenly got delayed which caused a 16 hour delay for an urgent commitment back home. Tried to claim for this as this area before booking a brand new flight as it is stated as 'unlimited claim' in the policy information for flight delays. After making a very costly overseas call, found out in actual fact that it is NOT covered by hbf and they would not compensate at all.

MM39

Awful Service

memeng

memengNot Australia nor New Zealand

Terrible

Asked for quotations for yearly travel insurance. Came out as the most expensive compared to other quotations from other companies.
    Give discount if you already taken other insurance from them. Can deal with customer service at branches so don't have to deal with faceless person on the phone.
    Very expensive, even after discount.

Don E.

Don E.asked

insurance as overseas visitor

Hi Don

We have a couple of cover options available for visitors to Australia and you can check these out here; https://www.hbf.com.au/health-insurance/overseas

If you have any questions just give us a call on 133 423 or Chat with us at hbf.com.au.

Best regards
    Sam
    The HBF Team

Helen Walker

Helen Walkerasked

Platinum Plan

Will you pay for us cancelling a trip, due to the corona virus, which was booked in July 2019?

Gary Cuthbertson

Gary Cuthbertsonasked

Essentials Plan

Hi I am a HBF member and would like a travel / medical Insurance to cover me while travelling overseas, now I move around Asia, Austalia and NZ over a 12month period and don't have exact dates of travel can I get coverage with HBF for medical hospital emergencies should they arise, I can handle out patience stuff and dental just want full hospital emergency coverage and repatriation should the need arise, cheer Gary

HBF T.HBF

Hi Gary, thanks for finding the time to contact us while you are out globetrotting!

I'm sure you can appreciate there is quite a lot of information involved with insurance, especially when it comes to international cover. It may be best to give our experienced General Insurance representatives a call to ensure we are covering all bases and answering all the questions you have, in as much detail as you need.

Feel free to give us a call on 133 423 when you have a little block of time free and we will definitely be able to help. We look forward to hearing from you and all the best for your travels!

Best Regards,
    Kaila
    The HBF Team

socialmcc@hbf.com.au

See all HBF Travel Insurance questions

Get an answer from our members and HBF representatives

HBF Travel Insurance

Compare all 5 HBF Travel Insurance
    CategoryTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel InsuranceTravel Insurance
    Other Insurance Types Offered Car, Health, Life and TravelCar, Health, Life and TravelCar, Health, Life and TravelCar, Health, Life and Travel
    UnderwriterCGUCGUCGUCGU
    Maximum Age Covered 85 years old85 years old85 years old85 years old
    Medical Coverage
    Overseas Emergency Assistance UnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimited
    Accidental Death$25,000$15,000Not Included$25,000
    Emergency DentalUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimited
    Pregnancy (max weeks) 24 weeks24 weeks24 weeks24 weeks
    Resumption of Journey $6,000$2,500$1,000$5,000
    Hospital Cash Allowance$50 per day, up to $6,000$50 per day, up to $3,000$50 per day, up to $1,000$50 per day, up to $6,000
    Overseas Emergency Medical & Hospital ExpensesUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimitedUnlimited
    Loss of Income$10,400$6,500Not Included$10,400
    Permanent Disability$25,000$15,000Not Included$25,000
    Luggage & Personal Effects
    Theft of Cash $500Not IncludedNot Included$500
    Delayed Luggage $750 after 10 hours$500 after 10 hoursNot Included$750
    Credit Card Fraud$3,000 as part of Travel Documents cover$2,000 as part of Travel Documents cover$1,000 as part of Travel Documents cover$3,000 as part of Travel Documents cover
    Travel Documents / Passport $3,000$2,000$1,000$3,000
    Maximum Single Item Limit $3,000$1,500 (Laptops or Cameras)$750 (Laptops or Cameras)$3,000 (Laptops or Cameras)
    Luggage & Personal Effects $15,000$7,500$3,000$15,000
    Ancillary
    Personal Liability $2,500,000$2,000,000$1,000,000$2,500,000
    Rental Vehicle Excess $5,000$3,000Not Included$5,000
    Motorbike / Moped Coverage Included for any sizeIncluded for any sizeIncluded for any sizeIncluded for any size
    Domestic Pet Care $650Not IncludedNot Included$650