• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (1)
    • 1-2 weeks (2)
    • 2-4 weeks (1)
    • 1-2 months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (4) · No (2)

2020 Gold cover tricks, greed & ripping off

HIF has been great for years until 2020 when they got greedy and decided that our cover would no longer include excess free day procedures or private room in hospital.

Ad

Pre-Existing clause seems to be an easy out

Never been so disappointed as a fund that focuses on being not for profit for the benefit of members...what a joke. Family cover that is beyond ridiculously expensive to then use the pre-existing condition clause. Got the call today to say declining claim and I will be declining your services as I am already looking for a new provider. Been with HIF since 2007 and will not come back. You have had enough money out of me. So I am left with a daughter with lifelong potential fertility issues, I would of been better saving all the money I have given you and paying for the service myself. Worst service I have ever experienced. I have already started getting quotes from other providers.

Ben

BenPerth, WA

Worst health care ever

Been with hif for years, upgraded to the top cover ten months ago. My wife needed urgent exploratory surgery, hif had over a week to investigate whether it was pre existing or not and now on the day we had to postpone the surgery because hif wouldn't cover us. I'm paying 240 a fortnight and both the gp and the surgeon signed the form to say it was not pre existing. Worst health cover.

Find out how HIF (Health Insurance Fund) compares to other Health Insurance

had a bad experience with hif never taking this insurance service. Don't loot people's money

Had a bad experience with hif. I took a policy but i cancelled before start a date but they debited from account. I requested them for refund they denied to refund.

Julie S.

Julie S.Sydney, NSW

Touch and go

Ann

AnnSydney, NSW

Just simply avoid them at all costs

Poor customer service.
Been a loyal customer for 5 years.
Membership was cancelled due to credit card being compromised. Was busy completely forgot to update my payment details until i received an email from them advise membership cancelled. Call them to sort thing out and they said i can't payback the owing amount, membership already cancelled cannot be reinstate. Forcing me to rejoin on a new policy and having to reserve my waiting period again.

Just avoid them please. Very disappointed.

Ad

Unethical and poor customer service

Tristan
Tristan
Chris

Chris

Dishonest and keep your money

I rang HIF on 31 March to cancel my health insurance policy, with an effective cancel date of 4 April. On 5 April I found that HIF had charged my credit card for another month's insurance. I rang HIF and they assured me a refund would be issued on my card for the month's insurance within a week. It is now 20 April and I have yet to receive a refund.

It's not bad enough that HIF charged my card after I cancelled, but now they are holding on to the funds. It should not take more than 2 weeks to issue a refund! Very poor service and outdated processes. They still haven't implemented the ability to change payment methods on their online portal.

John

JohnPerth, WA

Left HIF after many years

Began with HIF in 1976 but recent events have disappointed me with their lack of integrity and service. Received a letter to say that due to a postage error HIF our personal details had been compromised. Rang call centre to get more info....very abrupt and dismissive operator. Asked to speak to team leader....couldn’t connect told the TL would call back...didn’t. Through iSelect compared covers and have now joined NIB and saved nearly $1400 per year.

Ben

BenGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Customer Service :(

MichaelSydney, NSW

So misleading.

CCork

CCork

Rates skyrocket increase by nearly 9% every yr rather than the national average of 2.9%

Been with HIF for 5 yrs but after 5 yrs of crazy price rises, its time to do some serious shopping around. I've barely used the policy other than dental and a day-patient procedure. Now have had a message that they are no longer covering day procedures. The over $12K I've given them in those 5 yrs could be sitting in a bank acct to cover my medical bills. I think families and couples get better discounts (according to feedback from friends) - but singles you pay through the roof!

Kazza

KazzaPerth

Worst health care

Policy is misleading and frankly a complete wrought.
Seemed that whatever we needed cover for, it wasnt covered. Also signed up specifically for Ambulance cover and am told we dont have it. When I asked for the original quotes and voice recordings (which is what they told me they were getting to verify I never asked for ambulance) they dont have them (convenient) and requested I send the info to them!
I somehow went from a gold plan (card says gold, app says bronze) to a bronze plan, not that it matters because anything you need covered, well it isnt.

Looking at replacements have only found one other that tries to sting you an extras cost for ambulance.
They cover stuff medicare covers, they are a total waste of money

Ren

RenRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Poor customer service, lapsed my policy under misleading information.

Claim MadeYes
Sales manager13

Sales manager13Cairns

Poor communication, useless web site

Still waiting for a $150 gift card, now 7 months.
The new web site is a total disaster, insufficient information regarding my policy.
You now have to phone to get your remaining extras amounts, this entails a very long wait for you call to be answered.
WA is not that far from Qld but it could be on the other side of the World when dealing with this company.

Claim MadeNo

AnjuSydney, NSW

It is a big scam

I took a HIF policy with their promise of $150 FPOS card. Please look out for this as this is a big scam. It has been 3.5 months and the card hasn't reached me yet. I have called them atleast 4 times already. The 1st call they told me that it will only be dispatched after 3 months of holding the policy. Then I called them again on 12th June they said it will be dispatched on the 14th, and today is 19th and i haven't still received it. It is a big big scam. Don't get a policy wit HIF

Membership no is 166398

AntsSydney, NSW

Time to switch

Recently received notice from HIF that my Goldstarter hospital cover will be changed to Bronze Plus starter hospital ( because of the reforms).
Letter mentioned how great the new cover will be and listed the cover inclusions/exclusions however what HIF FAILED to mention is that AMBULANCE COVER will no longer be offered under their hospital policies. I'm a NSW resident, so being informed that ambulance cover will not be available is important to know.
I think HIF is seriously in breach of product disclosure/changes and I will be escalating this matter to the Industry ombudsman.

Fifi

FifiPerth, WA

Unexplained rise for pregnancy cover

Claim MadeNo

A joke - be warned!

Just over 2 years, nothing like it was presented, the result of a couple of claims was dismal beware of this scamming mob

Insurance claim madeYes

Was amazing... unitill they took $800 out of my account

Insurance claim madeYes
See all HIF (Health Insurance Fund) reviews

Peter McNess

Peter McNessasked

Hello
This is Peter Mcness one of your members.
Please let me know, what is the incentive reward for getting a family member or friend to switch from Medibank to HIF?

HIF
HIF

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your question. It’s our preference to reward our existing members which is why we have our member referral program. If you recommend HIF to family or friends, make sure they mention your name when joining as you'll be rewarded with a $70 eftpos card for each successful referral (and there's no limit to how many you can earn!). Information on our Member Rewards Program can be found on our website if you’re interested in finding out more: www.hif.com.au/members/member-rewards

Peter, if you have any more questions or feedback, please don’t hesitate to email me directly at social@hif.com.au.

Warm regards, Lisa.

glenvilleasked

I am currently a member of HIF on Goldstar basic. I suffer from sleep apnea. If I buy a Cpap Machine, can I claim something from the fund? glenvilleaitken@gmial.com. Thank you.

Hello Glenville,

Thanks for your question. We certainly do pay a rebate on CPAP machines however it’s included on our Super or Premium Options Extras Covers (not Hospital cover) within the External Prosthesis / Medical Appliance category. Here's a quick overview of what can be claimed:

One machine can be claimed every 5 years from the previous supply (per person) and the benefit will be deducted from the Prosthesis annual limit of $1,500. The benefits payable are:
$300 for Members who've held Super or Premium Options for 3-5 years.
$600 for Members who've held Super or Premium Options for 5+ years.

It’s important to note though, that a 3-year waiting period would apply for this service should you wish to add Extras cover to your existing hospital cover. I hope this helps, however, if you have any further questions, or would like to speak with one of our Product Experts, feel free to email me directly at social@hif.com.au and I can arrange this for you.

Take care, Lisa.

glenville

Thanks, i also rang and found out same info.

Tina R.

Tina R.asked

Can I claim for a back support brace from HIF

HIF A.HIF (Health Insurance Fund)

Hi Tina, thanks for getting in touch. If you’re an HIF Member and hold Super or Premium Options Extras Cover you will be eligible to claim a rebate for a back support brace under your prosthesis benefits. To do so, we’d simply need a letter of recommendation from your treating practitioner (along with your paid invoice) and you’d also need to have served the applicable 12-month waiting period. I hope that helps, but if you have any further queries please don't hesitate to get in touch with me directly. You can reach me on social@hif.com.au. Thanks, Molly.

See all HIF (Health Insurance Fund) questions