• Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (1)
    • 1-2 weeks (3)
    • 2-4 weeks (1)
    • 1-2 months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (5) · No (2)

2020 Gold cover tricks, greed & ripping off

HIF has been great for years until 2020 when they got greedy and decided that our cover would no longer include excess free day procedures or private room in hospital.

Ad

Pre-Existing clause seems to be an easy out

Never been so disappointed as a fund that focuses on being not for profit for the benefit of members...what a joke. Family cover that is beyond ridiculously expensive to then use the pre-existing condition clause. Got the call today to say declining claim and I will be declining your services as I am already looking for a new provider. Been with HIF since 2007 and will not come back. You have had enough money out of me. So I am left with a daughter with lifelong potential fertility issues, I would of been better saving all the money I have given you and paying for the service myself. Worst service I have ever experienced. I have already started getting quotes from other providers.

Ben
BenPerth, WA

Worst health care ever

Been with hif for years, upgraded to the top cover ten months ago. My wife needed urgent exploratory surgery, hif had over a week to investigate whether it was pre existing or not and now on the day we had to postpone the surgery because hif wouldn't cover us. I'm paying 240 a fortnight and both the gp and the surgeon signed the form to say it was not pre existing. Worst health cover.

Find out how HIF (Health Insurance Fund) compares to other Health Insurance

had a bad experience with hif never taking this insurance service. Don't loot people's money

Had a bad experience with hif. I took a policy but i cancelled before start a date but they debited from account. I requested them for refund they denied to refund.

Julie S.
Julie S.Sydney, NSW

Touch and go

HIF A.HIF (Health Insurance Fund)

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
best-credit-cards-in-2020

Australian Government Rebates & Incentives for Private Health Insurance

Nathan S.7 Feb 2020
australian-government-rebates-incentives-for-private-health-insurance
Ann
AnnSydney, NSW

Just simply avoid them at all costs

Poor customer service.
Been a loyal customer for 5 years.
Membership was cancelled due to credit card being compromised. Was busy completely forgot to update my payment details until i received an email from them advise membership cancelled. Call them to sort thing out and they said i can't payback the owing amount, membership already cancelled cannot be reinstate. Forcing me to rejoin on a new policy and having to reserve my waiting period again.

Just avoid them please. Very disappointed.

Ad

Unethical and poor customer service

Tristan
Tristan
Chris
Chris

Dishonest and keep your money

I rang HIF on 31 March to cancel my health insurance policy, with an effective cancel date of 4 April. On 5 April I found that HIF had charged my credit card for another month's insurance. I rang HIF and they assured me a refund would be issued on my card for the month's insurance within a week. It is now 20 April and I have yet to receive a refund.

It's not bad enough that HIF charged my card after I cancelled, but now they are holding on to the funds. It should not take more than 2 weeks to issue a refund! Very poor service and outdated processes. They still haven't implemented the ability to change payment methods on their online portal.

John
JohnPerth, WA

Left HIF after many years

Began with HIF in 1976 but recent events have disappointed me with their lack of integrity and service. Received a letter to say that due to a postage error HIF our personal details had been compromised. Rang call centre to get more info....very abrupt and dismissive operator. Asked to speak to team leader....couldn’t connect told the TL would call back...didn’t. Through iSelect compared covers and have now joined NIB and saved nearly $1400 per year.

Ben
BenGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Customer Service :(

MichaelSydney, NSW

So misleading.

CCork
CCork

Rates skyrocket increase by nearly 9% every yr rather than the national average of 2.9%

Been with HIF for 5 yrs but after 5 yrs of crazy price rises, its time to do some serious shopping around. I've barely used the policy other than dental and a day-patient procedure. Now have had a message that they are no longer covering day procedures. The over $12K I've given them in those 5 yrs could be sitting in a bank acct to cover my medical bills. I think families and couples get better discounts (according to feedback from friends) - but singles you pay through the roof!

HarjitWestern Australia

Issue Resolved

HIF Resolved the genuine issue raised by myself promptly. Mistake has been fixed and the policy document has been changed as per the HIF staff conversation with me. I am happy with the outcome.

Hi Lisa,
I have responded to you by email with all the details and conversations i had with HIF about general Hospitalisation 2 months waiting period for OHVC. Thanks

Kazza
KazzaPerth

Worst health care

Policy is misleading and frankly a complete wrought.
Seemed that whatever we needed cover for, it wasnt covered. Also signed up specifically for Ambulance cover and am told we dont have it. When I asked for the original quotes and voice recordings (which is what they told me they were getting to verify I never asked for ambulance) they dont have them (convenient) and requested I send the info to them!
I somehow went from a gold plan (card says gold, app says bronze) to a bronze plan, not that it matters because anything you need covered, well it isnt.

Looking at replacements have only found one other that tries to sting you an extras cost for ambulance.
They cover stuff medicare covers, they are a total waste of money

Ren
RenRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Poor customer service, lapsed my policy under misleading information.

Claim MadeYes

See all HIF (Health Insurance Fund) reviews

kevin b
kevin basked

I have gold star hospital & super extras, can I claim for A REPLACEMENT PILLOW MASK for my existing machine, which had before joining HIF, I have been a member for over 4 years

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for getting in touch. So that I can investigate this for you and look into your policy includions, do you mind sending through your HIF member number to our email address: social@hif.com.au.

From here we can access your policy and give you a better idea of what you are covered for.

Kind regards,
Ricky @ HIF.

Peter McNess
Peter McNessasked

Hello
This is Peter Mcness one of your members.
Please let me know, what is the incentive reward for getting a family member or friend to switch from Medibank to HIF?

HIF
HIF

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your question. It’s our preference to reward our existing members which is why we have our member referral program. If you recommend HIF to family or friends, make sure they mention your name when joining as you'll be rewarded with a $70 eftpos card for each successful referral (and there's no limit to how many you can earn!). Information on our Member Rewards Program can be found on our website if you’re interested in finding out more: www.hif.com.au/members/member-rewards

Peter, if you have any more questions or feedback, please don’t hesitate to email me directly at social@hif.com.au.

Warm regards, Lisa.

glenvilleasked

I am currently a member of HIF on Goldstar basic. I suffer from sleep apnea. If I buy a Cpap Machine, can I claim something from the fund? glenvilleaitken@gmial.com. Thank you.

Hello Glenville,

Thanks for your question. We certainly do pay a rebate on CPAP machines however it’s included on our Super or Premium Options Extras Covers (not Hospital cover) within the External Prosthesis / Medical Appliance category. Here's a quick overview of what can be claimed:

One machine can be claimed every 5 years from the previous supply (per person) and the benefit will be deducted from the Prosthesis annual limit of $1,500. The benefits payable are:
$300 for Members who've held Super or Premium Options for 3-5 years.
$600 for Members who've held Super or Premium Options for 5+ years.

It’s important to note though, that a 3-year waiting period would apply for this service should you wish to add Extras cover to your existing hospital cover. I hope this helps, however, if you have any further questions, or would like to speak with one of our Product Experts, feel free to email me directly at social@hif.com.au and I can arrange this for you.

Take care, Lisa.

glenville

Thanks, i also rang and found out same info.

See all HIF (Health Insurance Fund) questions