Hitachi CG18DSDL

See the Best Battery Whipper Snippers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Great Machine

Very impressed with my new Hitachi. I use it with 3.0ah battery that is common to my drill and blower. It trims edges, chomps through Kikuyu grass all with little noise and no vibration and is well balanced. I looked at several including Stihl, which I thought was all plastic, and despite their salesman's claims about 18 volts not being powerful enough, its perfect. A point about an earlier review from Sabaramo, lets not get confused between Trimmers and BrushCutters, they are quite different pieces of equipment.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Good, not great

I have used this a few times now and it generally works well. It is very quiet and easily lasts for as long as required to do my garden (15 mins). I have never run out of battery power and haven't really timed it.
I bought the bare skin to use with my existing batteries (4.0Ah BSL1840). I have a fairly small yard so I wasn't too concerned about the quoted running time of 30 minutes.

Assembly was lenghty but straight forward and the the box included the required tools (an allen key and screwdriver/spanner type tool). The instructions were poor and were very similar to an Ikea product (no words, just pictures). The pictures are tiny and measure 2cmx2cm. I had it all up and running in about 25 minutes but could probably do it quicker the second time around if required. Basically, you need to assemble the handle (using the suplied saddle), the guard (again with a saddle) and also the actual trimmer head.

There is soft press button to turn it on and a simple LED arrangment to show you that it actually is on as it is silent. The battery simply slides in just like any Hitachi tool. It takes BSL1830 or BSL1840 batteries. My first impression when pressing the trigger was, this isnt going to be powerful enough. It was very smooth and defintely felt weaker than my existing generic 26cc line trimmer.

I normally use the line cutter to cut overgrown grass against a wall or fence in which case this product performs OK. I also use it to cut a line on a flat surface where the grass meets a concrete pathway, aka edging (like a foot path). Trimming grass against walls was OK. It wouldnt get through long roots and really was only suitable for normal blades of grass (in contrast with a petrol one which would power through roots and all). You have to take your time as well as it is simply not powerful enough.

The second task (edging) was bad. I found that the job that would normally take 7-10 mins took me 15-18 mins as I was standing there for what seemed like forever for the layers of grass to be cut. Obviously this left a less than clean finish on all my work. Couple that extra time with the heaviness and awkward balance (very nose heavy) of this product it became tiring.

I can't really recommend this to people who have a large yard or for people used to a petrol trimmer. I can't help but feel that I shoulv'e spent a little more and gotten a Petrol one which all get favourable reviews (see tanaka or hitachi petrol trimmers).
Quiet
weak motor, heavy, unbalanced

Updating this to mention that I recently did some work on some overgrown grass and it was a nightmare. A 15 Mon job turned into a 45 min job. I have come to the conclusion that this is really only suitable for light growth. I will be purchasing a real line trimmer shortly and get rid of this.