Holden Astra TS

Holden Astra TS (page 2 of 6)

See the Best Convertible in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Sucking to much air

It goes not to bad,until you try to accelerate then it dies...there is a engine light on the dash baord, a little worrying but think its just a service light,a slight tapping sound from the engine...pretty good,just need to fix air flow so it stops waisting our fuel when we drive.

TransmissionManual

Really enjoyed owning this car

Great combination of punchy engine, smooth ride, feeling of solid build, and incredible ease of parking.
Great storage space in the hatch. If they are regularly serviced they should be long lasting as a used car proposition. Don't know why people say they were bad - perhaps build quality was variable but mine is lasting just fine.

Great car

If you service it this particular iteration of the car (2001) was excellent. Great drive, good stereo, spacious boot, comfortable, punchy, good auto transmission. Don't know about the reliability of the later models - it actually went worse apparently. I bought NEW and have had it for 14 years. That's saying something. Service has been good from Suttons City. Can't really complain, it's been a loyal and reliable car.

Never had a problem

Alot of people go about how astras a crap, ive owned a ts city 2001 since new, only problem ive had was the ignition, maybe if people get them serviced when there surposed to they would find they will have no problem at all. It's the best small car of its time.

Awesome

I have found this site to be fantastic as I am not very mechanic wise on my new addition. I am trying to learn the little quirks that he has & this site has been fantastic. I will be using this site for whenever ai have a problem with him.

BadgeCD Equipe

2005 Astra TS Classic Equipe - Manual Hatch

Just wanted to say how brilliant the Astra TS Classic Equipe 2005 (manual) has been for me. I can't say for the other models but this was the last of it's series and has been rock solid. I bought it new in 2005 and I've always done the regular log book service + extra brakes/pads/dics/tyres as needed. It's been a brilliant car! It's about to go for it's 180k major service next week. I look forward to driving this for atleast another two years.

Purchased in February 2005.

Noise Level
Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

STEER CLEAR OF THIS RUBBISH!

Steer clear of this model of astra as it was the the most terrible car from factory. My father had owned this car for seven years and was driven mainly by my parents, over seven years of proper maintenance it never stopped coming up with problems such as ignition coils, air conditioning, engine failure. The car always been properly driven by mature adults and it just seemed to be a very car. Everytime my father took it to the dealership the cost to fix those things was over $2000 AUD which is completely ridiculous as most mechanics did not want to deal with this car as they knew it was a lemon when they rolled out from factory doors. Complete Rubbish, i will never ever buy a holden after that altercation. Stick to japanese cars and you wont go wrong.
hope this helps anyone looking at these cars ! steer clear of all holdens!

Traction control light problems

while driving our holden astra the traction light comes on the car loses all power we need to roll the car to the side of the road turn the engine off wait a few minutes start the car again only for it to happen within 10 minutes later, a few mechanics have told us there is nothing wrong with the car, we are scared to drive this car in traffic and at high speeds as I feel my family's safety is at risk . any advise on this problem would be appreciated.

Badge(No Badge)

A brilliant little car.

My 2004 CDX TS Hatch is sitting on 98,000kms and the only issues I've had out of ordinary maintenance were the Blaupunkt head unit going full blast on cold mornings and taking out my speakers. Which was easily fixed with a new Pioneer head unit and set of pioneer speakers from eBay UK (custom fit for the Astra) and that was that solved. Also the central locking remote broke it's solder connections inside and after 10 self-repairs, the little circuit board finally broke apart and I was up for a new remote and programming. A local locksmith sorted that out though.

All in all, it's a solid and lively little car that handles brilliantly and feels comfortable. Just make sure yours is serviced meticulously.

Change the oil with fully synthetic 10w40 and filter every 10,000km, and for gods sake never take chances with delaying the major timing belt services every 60,000kms. That's playing with fire.

Look after your Astra and your Astra will look after you. After all, it is an aging European car and those things don't mess around.

Peace.

BadgeCDX
TransmissionAutomatic

Great runner had from new but getting on now

Have auto 2001 CD from new only on 140000k still tidy. Owned two previous Opel Astra models that were trouble free. Traveled mostly in town and had very few issues mostly wear and tear items in first 10yrs brake rotors.
Alternator pulley clutch at ~10yrs
Replaced Radiator and hoses at (12yrs)~120000k, replaced water pump at 120000k cambelt change including cam sensor wiring was frayed. New slotted brake rotors soon after.
In last 3M an intermittent traction control and emission fault has got me beat. Fault codes are useless info. Changed all wheel hubs as sensors are integrated. Changed transmission input and output speed sensors, oil changed 3x. Hoping to crack this nut. Hoping MAF or O2 sensor change out will help. I am handy around cars and would not recommend buying one of these if you pay to service as you'll fork out more than the car is worth very quickly. Other than that it's not a difficult vehicle to maintain if you so inclined.

TransmissionAutomatic
Just a follow up. I eventually solved this problem. Turns out the fault code reader was sending me on a wild goose chase. Nothing to do with TC. I got another fault code reader after I had been through just about everything. Pointed to that cam angle sensor (a generic) was starting to pack a sad. Put a new VDO cam angle sensor in and the motor is running A1. Update after 192k km. Replaced front sway bar links which were original with plastic arms with new ones also plastic but broke within 3M, dont reccommend these they not as good as OEM ones. Suspension is much tighter after replacement and knock sounds are gone. Still on original front struts! Engine started playing up with an electrical fault a few months ago symptoms slowly developing over 6M rough running during on cold start eventually resulting in misfire fault and fuel injector circuit fault on #3 cylinder. Changed cheaper items first. Coil pack then the injector and neither helped. Was either wiring or ECU. I changed ECU incl key reader transponder with a used and running A ok again. Wiring is okay imo on my car but the ECU fault codes arent worth much on these Astras. Advise not to buy cheap knock off sensors for crank position or cam angle as they dont work.

Ours is not a lemon. Still great after 10+ years. 2004 CDX TS

Tired of the constant bagging. We have looked after ours and it still looks and runs like new, even after over 10 years and nearly 235000 kms. It has needed maintenance repairs but nothing major. It is solidly built and hugs the road. Safe with ABS and traction control. All I can say based on other very negative reviews is that there may have been individual lemons. It also appears however that some have not been maintained as they should be. One reviewer commented on how many are on Carsales for sale. Have they considered how many were actually sold (due to their popularity) and just how many are still on the road? Some of these are around 15 years old. I can just comment on our experience with our 2004 model. We have not regretted owning our Astra. If considering buying one look for one that has been really looked after, has log books, receipts etc. also, if buying for a new driver go for one with safety features such as ABS and ensure that timing belt has been replaced on schedule (,every 60000 kms). Take into account that depreciation is high so don't pay too much. More people complain than commend so you will find more negative reviews than positive and the negatives will shout louder. But be careful buying any vehicle second hand. One other thing, I have read negative comments about these being made in Europe. Perhaps quality build has added to their longevity. Many other vehicles sold in Australia are made in Korea, Thailand etc. I would be more concerned about buying a 10-15 year old vehicle made in one of those countries. Quality has improved in recent years but the older ones have not held up as well as the Astra of that era.

BadgeCDX

Loved My Astra

i got the car 2nd hand with roughly 160'000ks on the clock, it was 2 car which i purchased just after i left school, i was very specific with the color and it had to be either dark blue or black, and finding one in good condition with no paint fade or peeling was hard, i ended up getting a blue Olympic Edition hatch with a spoiler! i loved my car, i would still have it today if a careless person didn't drive head on into me and write my car off. But with every car there are good and bad points, the bad points are the paintwork, on a majority of Astra's the paint work is dodgy if not looked after! there were no cup holders but there is a space behind the handbrake where a 600ml farmers union iced coffee fits perfectly! people often whinge about parts being expensive and if something goes wrong with it then its expensive. yes, but what car doesn't cost lots to repair? i had a 5 spd manual and occasionally the gears would stick and it would be a real effort to get into first gear, but i managed to fix that problem by getting my mechanic to do something to the gear linkages.
compared to other manuals it was a super touchy one to rive, you had to get the timing perfect in order to do a quick take off, but practice makes perfect! it is a bit like reverse wasn't in the normal position, its located next to first gear and you have to pull a leaver up to get it into reverse! but most modern cars now are adapting that idea and the Indicator Stick or "blinker" is on the left hand side unlike some of the other cars out there which may get confusing but you get used to it! it had a great turning circle and i could get into any tight car parks first shot! and having the spoiler made it easy to reverse out!
there are lots of negative reviews but if you treat your car well then it will treat you well! get it serviced regularly, and don't drive it on red light! i never drove it under 1/4 tank and put premium fuel in and i noticed the better fuel economy! my astra never missed a beat!

Holden Astra 2005

Bought the car in Feb 2006 new from the dealer has only done 40,000k, the paintwork is now shocking. I have 2 lines down the roof where the paint has faded and peeled off, this is also starting to happen on the boot and bonnet. Holdens Customer Care response (once they saw the cost of the repairs) is that this is sun damage and its an old car !! Really? We have a 15yr old Pajero with no such fading or chipping......but what do Holden care, they have my money now and can hide behind the 'out of warranty' statement. Would never buy another as clearly the paint is not up to the climate the car is being sold in.

Astra 2001

This car is a lemon! Do not own one! Expensive to maintain it will be a constant replacement to all the Astras faults from electronically to michanically. Its not worth owning one.

BodyHatch

Astra 1.8 CD 2001 Speeedo intermittant - Anyone know why?

We have driven our Astra from 140,000km -197,000 but gave up when the speedo became intermittant then stopped all together. Air con never worked. ABS light came on (and stayed on). Great little s/wagon to drive but reading all the bad wrap am not keen to spend more money on one....

BodyWagon

Best driving small car

have driven other small cars and holden astra ts cd has it over them. Supple ride over bumps and excellent steering. Seats very comfortable around town and on long trips. Simply swallows luggage - i cant believe a small car can take such a large volume. Engine and auto gearbox well matched and much better than other small cars of similar vintage. Need to change cam belt at 60K and its wise to do water pump at same time. Thats sooner than similar small cars but they all need this done.
comfortable ride
Holden australa parts can be expensive. Get parts direct from Uk or on ebay at about half cost of Holden australia.

Help

My 2005 Holden Astra traction control light starting coming on, and today it just kept shutting down with no other warnings except the traction control light...driving and while stopped just had no power and shut off anyone knows what is causing this, and $....to fix....apart from this it's been a nice car to drive...worried it will shut off again driving to work before I can get someone to look at it

OK but Astranomically Expensive

I got 10 reasonably trouble free years out of my 2000 Astra City but it did cost me quite a lot of money despite looking after it and giving it the "good oil" all it's life. But by the time I sold it at 130,000kms, I felt better about trading it in rather than selling privately to some unlucky smuck that knows my address. I changed the timing belt regularly ($600 a go), replaced the AC condenser ($1100) and the shock absorbers were changed once. Was unimpressed by the Holden dealership services so quick went to someone else. Lots of little niggles such as right indicator not returning after completing corner, blown globes behind the centre console, brake lights and head lights constantly blowing, the "leather" around the gear stick looking awfully worn. The deal breaker in the end was the misfiring cylinder - apparently this problem has been surfacing with Holden Cruzes - good luck to you if you have just bought one of them. A car should last longer than 130k in my book. I have put my faith in Mazda now; One Holden is enough. Let's be honest, the Japs do it better!
Solid feel, nice interior for its time, good handling and driver dynamics, comfortable.
Expensive to service and repair, lots of known faults but a lot intermittent ones that are hard ones to diagnose,

Engine Size1.8L
BodyHatch

Great to drive but not to own!

We bought this 2004 TS Astra CD 1.8L auto hatch new from a Holden dealer. The car was well specified and included ABS brakes and traction control. Had some early quality problems (incl the child lock on a rear door) which were all fixed by the dealer. The car was great to drive with good performance and great handling. The car was used mainly for local commuting. We planned to keep the car long term but an increasing range of unexpected and potentially expensive problems have caused us to sell it now. These included an early wheel alignment issue which contributed to the first set of tyres only lasting 30,000km. At this time we were shocked to find the front brake pads also needed to be replaced (not cheap!). Other issues included an intermittent dash warning light (traction control?) coming on under normal driving conditions and the aircon/fan not working at all on very hot days! The aircon was otherwise increasingly noisy (compressor on the way out?). The windscreen washers also ceased to function (difficult to fix due to the location of the washer bottle) and the ashtray would not close (spring missing). Much black deposit on the alloy wheels made these almost impossible to clean properly. Lint on the velour seats was also difficult to remove. The car was serviced by the book and the timing belt was replaced as required and we had no mechanical problems. Difficult car to sell with much depreciation! Would never buy another Holden small car!!
Great to drive with good performance and handling
Poor quality, unexpected repairs and high depreciation

Engine Size1.8L
TransmissionAuto
BodyHatch

I love my Astra Convertible!

Buying this car was a great decision. I have a 2005 Bertone edition Convertible in Red - I bought it new and it is reliable, fun to drive and great on fuel. Mine is the 2.2l auto and it is very zippy for a small car.
I looked at a lot of convertibles around at the time and this was the best value for money that was comfortable to drive for both myself and my 6 foot husband, had a reasonable boot & could seat 4 people (although the back seats wouldn't be great for adults on a long trip I feel a convertible is really a couples car anyway and my young nieces love it!)
I have taken it camping and on road trips of over 5000 km and it hasn't missed a beat. I have looked after it with regular services and expect many more years of fun out of it.
The soft top looks sexy and is easy to use, heated leather seats are great for when you have the roof down on sunny winter days, still getting great fuel economy even after 9 years.
The keys are expensive to replace if you lose them as they can operate the roof remotely (this always makes people stop and stare! Also the roof is in one piece so is very expensive to replace if it gets damaged so make sure you get insurance!

BadgeBertone