Holden Astra TS

Holden Astra TS (1998-2005)

BBBrisbane

BBBrisbaneQLD, 4101

Ok for the price, especially being a convertible

There are not many convertible 4 seater cars in the market for the price of an Astra. convertible roofs are complex and prone to faults. Astra is not exception. but finding parts for this car is easy in Australia.
My car had these issues since owning it:
- roof stopped working. busted hydraulic pipe cost around 1k to fix
- leaking engine once from rocker gasket and once from oil pressure sensor
- wheel hub and screws and nuts needed replacements
- shock absorbents needed replacement

lots of issues for a car done just 130k. but still cheaper than trying to buy a let's say golf convertible.

BodyConvertible
BadgeBertone
Date PurchasedSept 2017

Alternator

Today I got replaced an alternator (new) and cost me 620 AUD dollar (400 for alternator and for fitting it with its supply is 220) moreover I asked for second hand alternator to get it fixed but he said me there wouldn't any warranty on that. I was just wondering either it was really($) that expensive for astra TS 2004 HATCHBACK or mechanic ripped me off. The reason I got it done was my car was acting up for 2 days as it was showing engine, sport (s), emission sing on dashboard moreover after getting start its steering used to get harder than harder after 30 second, at the end I would ask anyone here with same problem or similar bit. Thanks!

BadgeCD Classic
Engine Size1.8L Petrol

Traction control light problems

while driving our holden astra the traction light comes on the car loses all power we need to roll the car to the side of the road turn the engine off wait a few minutes start the car again only for it to happen within 10 minutes later, a few mechanics have told us there is nothing wrong with the car, we are scared to drive this car in traffic and at high speeds as I feel my family's safety is at risk . any advise on this problem would be appreciated.

Badge(No Badge)
Engine Size1.8L Petrol
Convertibles

Find out how Holden Astra TS compares to other Convertibles

Astra 1.8 CD 2001 Speeedo intermittant - Anyone know why?

We have driven our Astra from 140,000km -197,000 but gave up when the speedo became intermittant then stopped all together. Air con never worked. ABS light came on (and stayed on). Great little s/wagon to drive but reading all the bad wrap am not keen to spend more money on one....

BodyWagon

Louise43Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Astra cd 2000 Olympic edition

Engine SizeFour. Cilinder
BodyHatch

A smooth drive with underlying issues

I brought an Astra as my first car, it's a 2001 model with 150000km on the clock. It drives smooth and it's powerful for its size however after two weeks of owning it, the engine has just cut out leaving me broken down in the middle of an intersection. Twice. I believe this is a common problem with Astras. The mechanic told me that it is the ECU which needs replacing by a Holden dealer. I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy one as they are unreliable. A bit disappointed because I loved it so much in the first two weeks!
It's good on fuel, very zippy and drives smooth
Malfunctioning ECU

Engine Size1.8L
TransmissionManual
brett1334
brett1334

Holden astra great car until the timing belt snaps after only doing 40 000km ,airconditioning failed ,alternator failed .will never buy holden ever again most holdens are lemons with very poor design

was ok in the beginning

Engine Size2.2 16v
Transmissionmanual

BodyConvertible
Jan30
Jan30

I have enjoyed my Astra convertible for over 10 years. Have had no problems at all except that the LED display is breaking up and almost unreadable, Looking for an economical way to get it fixed. Any ideas welcome

Convertibles

Find out how Holden Astra TS compares to other Convertibles

Speedracervl

Speedracervl

OK

Over all I'd say its a good car but I hope nothing else major breaks or wears out anytime soon as replacement parts are relatively pricey.
I have an 02 Astra Hatch. The car is comfortable and is smoothe to drive. Good power and tows a 6ftx4ft trailer loaded up really well.
Maintence costs have been high for me, at 120,000kms I've had to replace all 4 discs (common with Astras) and the water pump just went despite keeping up the maintence on the coolant. I have owned the car from around the 75,000kms mark and service books indicate it has always been serviced by a Holden Dealer. There are rattling noises coming from the engine which I have been told is the idler pulley for the A/C.

OK

We have been happy overall with the car except for the A/C problems and the customer service or lack of for that matter from Robina Holden. The car has a terrible reputation with mechanics, don't think i'd buy one again though.
We bought a 2001 CD model brand new and found it to be quite responsive for a 4 cylinder vehicle, it handles & corners well and is quiet and quite economic on fuel.
The air-conditioning system went almost at the end of the 3 year warranty, that was repaired by Holden. It went again 9 months later and we got lumbered with a $1200 repair bill. It went again 2 years later and cost another $700 to repair. Yes you guessed it the A/C went again this month although it was fixed for a low cost.