Holden Astra

• Comfort
  • Features
David J.

David J.Sydney, NSW

Back up service under warranty is disgusting

Our Astra with less than 60 000kms on the clock and still under new car warranty had an orange light pop up saying ESC on the dash. So I rang Col Crawford who were great. I got the car in straight away only to be told that the car needed pistons and rings. Not a problem, I understand that, but the problem is that it took me 4 phone calls, an hour of my time each time and threatening that my solicitor said to send them the bills for a hire car to finally get a replacement car while they try and find pistons which they have no time frame on. Be wary if you plan on buying a Holden.

Purchased in July 2018 at Col Crawford for $14,500.00.

Byron N.

Byron N.Western Australia

Horrible car, noisy and unreliable

Purchased in May 2009 at Hyundai Dealers for $21,000.00.

sharon

sharonGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

I bought this car 2017 holden Astra R as demo model 60kms brand new, only done 40,000kms in a year... car was shuttering called dealership and( I piston had failed on motor )....40,000 on clock holden replacing Piston under car Warranty ...holden are not offering any thing else . DO NOT. BUY problems already at 40,000 KMS thinking what else is going to go wrong on this now.

Purchased in January 2018.

Troy

TroySydney, NSW

A car from Germany with excellent design and engineering and SH$% Build quality!

BodyWagon
Date PurchasedJan 2016
BBBrisbane

BBBrisbaneQLD, 4101

Ok for the price, especially being a convertible

There are not many convertible 4 seater cars in the market for the price of an Astra. convertible roofs are complex and prone to faults. Astra is not exception. but finding parts for this car is easy in Australia.
My car had these issues since owning it:
- roof stopped working. busted hydraulic pipe cost around 1k to fix
- leaking engine once from rocker gasket and once from oil pressure sensor
- wheel hub and screws and nuts needed replacements
- shock absorbents needed replacement

lots of issues for a car done just 130k. but still cheaper than trying to buy a let's say golf convertible.

BodyConvertible
BadgeBertone
Date PurchasedSept 2017
Sam ADAM

Sam ADAMNowra

DON'T BUY THIS TRASH

Bought this car in 2014 for $7000 however, I had to spend another $4000 repairs
The car shakes/judders when driving at 60km or higher. The sports button makes the car undrivable. Another typical European Holden, nothing but problems.

Avoid at all costs especially L and P platers as we don't have that much money to spend.

BadgeCDTI
Date PurchasedJune 2014

Crap car

Worst car ive ever owned. I cant believe there are reviews stating astras are great little cars far from it. I got the wagon 2006 model for 6grand. The horn stoped working after the first week. Then only 1 year later replaced the brake pads but there aas a major problems so from a $300 job it turned into $1000. And just only after that the coil pack went and the parts for the astra wagon are so expensive seriously guys this is the worst type of car and now i have a new problem and j dont know what has happened for ages it keeps cutting out after i try to turn it on and its not the starter motor or the alternator

BodyWagon
Date PurchasedMar 2015
Luke

LukeSydney

Terrible

Good for nothing. 5 weeks after I bought this car it broke down. That was one sure sign of it being a lemon.
Second sign was when I took it for its first 6 monthly warranty service, and got told repairs would cost $880. ???
Apparently what needed to be replaced was not covered by the warranty. How convenient.
Somebody told me the Astra and the Holden Viva have same engine types. I will know to stay away from both in the future.
Please note: All the positive reviews you see, are written by Holden dealers. Customers will never have anything good to say about a Holden.

Date PurchasedSept 2017
Tai

TaiSouth Australia

Pretty good

The engine is little small, but pretty economic. The interior are really good. I am very enjoy when I drive the car. Nothing have problem. It is a good first car. I guess. I would recommend this car probably. Running cost is not too high. The reliability is good. I guess I would have this car for a while.

Date PurchasedSept 2011

Puss car

Was bad would not reccomed don't not buy very pricey in parts and Labour over all bad experience I have a car that won't start after timing belt was replaced and now car won't start if anyone is looking can I plz have some answers if possible thanks in advance

BadgeCDTI
Date PurchasedMay 2003

Ok car

Bought second hand 2009 model in 2012 done 57,000K

Run like dream until 2016 at 100,000K. I am a light user

Last year, It has timing belt replace in Jun, air conditioner replace in November. I feel costly then

Other than that it is just fine , I have tyres replaced, always stick to service plan.

So far so good. hope there won't be any major job in the near future.

Date PurchasedSept 2012

Worst car of all award goes to Astra

Worst car of all. Coolant started leaking just at 70000km and again at 120000k, head gasket failed at 150000K, Transmission failed at 160000K, now at 170000k engine has starting misfiring. Had to change front wheel bearings, power window motor, sway bar links. Should have gone for Japanese car.

Dealers were worse then the car itself. Rear Power window weren't working so went it to have it checked. Dealer said we need to replace the electric motor cost estimate ($900). The best part was that I had already checked and the motor was working fine, it was the window regulator that was broken cost estimate ($50). Bought it over ebay and fixed it myself rather get duped for $900. What a farce.

Date PurchasedMar 2005
JJm

JJmSydney, NSW

Bottomless money pit.

Had this car for four years. Performed the required services but alas, the problems continued to mount. Two ecu's, two coils packs, brake rotors and pads not lasting, engine overheating and doing the head. Thousands of dollars and mechanics who haven't a clue how to diagnose a problem, I've had enough. The car has gone into limp mode again because it is misfiring. Time for another car.

BadgeCity
Karz

KarzSydney

Don't buy this car !!! Nothing but trouble

I brought a 2000 Holden Astra it did last me only 5 years but during that time every 6 months something would go it cost so much money to fix and most mechanic can never fix the problem it lacked guts very slow take off , the car shook every-time I stopped or it would turn of on hills , then got that fixed other things went wrong the radio would be so loud every time I turned the car on even tho I never turned it up , oil light would stay on even tho there was no oil leaks and always oil in it faulty dash lights!
I would never ever buy this car again nothing but trouble
The only thing I like it just got me from a to b just .

Alternator

Today I got replaced an alternator (new) and cost me 620 AUD dollar (400 for alternator and for fitting it with its supply is 220) moreover I asked for second hand alternator to get it fixed but he said me there wouldn't any warranty on that. I was just wondering either it was really($) that expensive for astra TS 2004 HATCHBACK or mechanic ripped me off. The reason I got it done was my car was acting up for 2 days as it was showing engine, sport (s), emission sing on dashboard moreover after getting start its steering used to get harder than harder after 30 second, at the end I would ask anyone here with same problem or similar bit. Thanks!

BadgeCD Classic

monkey

monkeySydney

ripoff

nothing but problems timming belt cost 2000 what do I do fix it our replace engine can anyone help I like to now what the best opion is or anyone now any machines who cheap fair or might have a payment plan if any one can help please get back

Holden Astra Sucks

After 13 fixes $41,000 later the judge says no money just 1 more fix
Watever big business sux
So 6 years later I'm supposed to be patient for one more time so the judge can say you've had the cat for 7 years you've used it right?

No I've had Anxiety each time i opened the roof.

June 6th 2018 Update: Holden Astra was so bad it hit discontinued... not only that some parts you cannot get

If you want to spend 45K then sob for the following years... deal with holden! I regretted having ever dealt with them and the last straw was to find out some parts have been totally discontinued.... joke
The times I was left by the way side - rained on ... how infuriating.

Samuel K

Samuel K

STEER CLEAR OF THIS RUBBISH!

Traction control light problems

while driving our holden astra the traction light comes on the car loses all power we need to roll the car to the side of the road turn the engine off wait a few minutes start the car again only for it to happen within 10 minutes later, a few mechanics have told us there is nothing wrong with the car, we are scared to drive this car in traffic and at high speeds as I feel my family's safety is at risk . any advise on this problem would be appreciated.

Badge(No Badge)
Ellejay

EllejaySydney

Reliable, but bad paint work