Holden Astra

• Features

My ownership experience

Purchased in June 2017.

ASTRA PROBLEMS

I have had noting but problems with my BK Astra Has only done 25,000 klms. Water level topped up at every service, Blind spot mirrors warning coming on together, Vibration on gear changes ,Irregular gear changes, Red warning light keeps coming on for no reason. Evaporative solenoid replaced.
Never will I buy another Astra/ Holden

Purchased in June 2017 for $29,000.00.

David J.

David J.Sydney, NSW

Back up service under warranty is disgusting

Our Astra with less than 60 000kms on the clock and still under new car warranty had an orange light pop up saying ESC on the dash. So I rang Col Crawford who were great. I got the car in straight away only to be told that the car needed pistons and rings. Not a problem, I understand that, but the problem is that it took me 4 phone calls, an hour of my time each time and threatening that my solicitor said to send them the bills for a hire car to finally get a replacement car while they try and find pistons which they have no time frame on. Be wary if you plan on buying a Holden.

Purchased in July 2018 at Col Crawford for $14,500.00.

Ngoc Nam Nguyen

Ngoc Nam NguyenSydney

Emission and TCS light always on, pressing gas takes long time to increase speed and noisy engine

Hi, I just bought an old car and just recently it has some problems:
* Emission and TCS light always on
* Whenever speed back to 0 (red light, traffic), pressing gas takes long time to increase speed
* Engine has a weird noise

Can someone please help and let me know what's going on?

Thanks in advance.

Engine Size2.2L Petrol
Date PurchasedApr 2007
Troy

TroySydney, NSW

A car from Germany with excellent design and engineering and SH$% Build quality!

BodyWagon
Date PurchasedJan 2016
BBBrisbane

BBBrisbaneQLD, 4101

Ok for the price, especially being a convertible

There are not many convertible 4 seater cars in the market for the price of an Astra. convertible roofs are complex and prone to faults. Astra is not exception. but finding parts for this car is easy in Australia.
My car had these issues since owning it:
- roof stopped working. busted hydraulic pipe cost around 1k to fix
- leaking engine once from rocker gasket and once from oil pressure sensor
- wheel hub and screws and nuts needed replacements
- shock absorbents needed replacement

lots of issues for a car done just 130k. but still cheaper than trying to buy a let's say golf convertible.

BodyConvertible
BadgeBertone
Date PurchasedSept 2017
Cee

CeeAdelaide

Better now Holden dont touch it

Date PurchasedJan 2009
Tai

TaiSouth Australia

Pretty good

The engine is little small, but pretty economic. The interior are really good. I am very enjoy when I drive the car. Nothing have problem. It is a good first car. I guess. I would recommend this car probably. Running cost is not too high. The reliability is good. I guess I would have this car for a while.

BodySedan
Date PurchasedSept 2011

philip kerr

philip kerrbrisbane

No help given

Reported that my dash panel not working eg temp fuel and speedo not working I was told to see a auto electrician I have already done that I was looking for advice of what was wrong with electric system not to contact auto electrician that was no help at all

BodySedan
BadgeCD Classic
Date PurchasedApr 2016

Ok car

Bought second hand 2009 model in 2012 done 57,000K

Run like dream until 2016 at 100,000K. I am a light user

Last year, It has timing belt replace in Jun, air conditioner replace in November. I feel costly then

Other than that it is just fine , I have tyres replaced, always stick to service plan.

So far so good. hope there won't be any major job in the near future.

Date PurchasedSept 2012

Alternator

Today I got replaced an alternator (new) and cost me 620 AUD dollar (400 for alternator and for fitting it with its supply is 220) moreover I asked for second hand alternator to get it fixed but he said me there wouldn't any warranty on that. I was just wondering either it was really($) that expensive for astra TS 2004 HATCHBACK or mechanic ripped me off. The reason I got it done was my car was acting up for 2 days as it was showing engine, sport (s), emission sing on dashboard moreover after getting start its steering used to get harder than harder after 30 second, at the end I would ask anyone here with same problem or similar bit. Thanks!

BadgeCD Classic
monkey

monkeySydney

ripoff

nothing but problems timming belt cost 2000 what do I do fix it our replace engine can anyone help I like to now what the best opion is or anyone now any machines who cheap fair or might have a payment plan if any one can help please get back

Traction control light problems

while driving our holden astra the traction light comes on the car loses all power we need to roll the car to the side of the road turn the engine off wait a few minutes start the car again only for it to happen within 10 minutes later, a few mechanics have told us there is nothing wrong with the car, we are scared to drive this car in traffic and at high speeds as I feel my family's safety is at risk . any advise on this problem would be appreciated.

Badge(No Badge)
Ellejay

EllejaySydney

Reliable, but bad paint work

Dianne

DianneSouthwest, VIC

Holden Astra 2005

Bought the car in Feb 2006 new from the dealer has only done 40,000k, the paintwork is now shocking. I have 2 lines down the roof where the paint has faded and peeled off, this is also starting to happen on the boot and bonnet. Holdens Customer Care response (once they saw the cost of the repairs) is that this is sun damage and its an old car !! Really? We have a 15yr old Pajero with no such fading or chipping......but what do Holden care, they have my money now and can hide behind the 'out of warranty' statement. Would never buy another as clearly the paint is not up to the climate the car is being sold in.

BodyHatch

Astra 1.8 CD 2001 Speeedo intermittant - Anyone know why?

We have driven our Astra from 140,000km -197,000 but gave up when the speedo became intermittant then stopped all together. Air con never worked. ABS light came on (and stayed on). Great little s/wagon to drive but reading all the bad wrap am not keen to spend more money on one....

BodyWagon
Adrian

AdrianPerth, WA

OK but Astranomically Expensive

Engine Size1.8L
BadgeCity
Michael012

Michael012Melbourne

Great to drive but not to own!

Engine Size1.8L
TransmissionAuto
smallcar lover

smallcar loverMELBOURNE

Fuel efficient, but has its issues

Haley C.

Haley C.asked

Astra TS (1998-2005)

My speedometer is not working on my Holden Astra TS series 2004 what is the problem with it.

Michael R.asked

Astra AH (2004-2009)

Hi i have 2008 astra automatic and sometimes the car wont start until i tap the gear shift lever. When it dosent start the electrics come on, it just wont turn over. No warning light come either. Any ideas?

Pandie
Pandie

The gear shift handle isn't quite closing the circuit to allow start. It's just a fraction of a millimetre out of alignment. Not worth fixing.
Just keep tapping it when it won't start.
No biggie.

Michael R.

Thanks mate. Sometimes it wint start at all and it takes 10 minutes of back n forth etc. I also want to get rid of it and not irritate the next owner.

Roy W.

Roy W.asked

Astra AH (2004-2009)

Hi, 2005 Holden Astra CD AH Automatic, seems to be try to take off in 3rd or 4th. I change it manually and it runs fine. Occasionally All the gear selection lights All light up when selecting gears . There are No noises or gear slip. It has derated a few times, won't go over 80 kph, and won't go over 30 kph. Shut it down for 10 minutes and it starts and runs fine again. Cheers Roy

Compare all 17 Holden Astra
Fuel Consumption6.1 L/100km6.1 L/100km6.1 L/100km6.5 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 48 L48 L48 L48 L
Engine4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.6L
Max Power110kW @ 6500rpm110kW @ 6500rpm110kW @ 6500rpm147kW @ 5500rpm
Max Torque240Nm @ 2000-4000rpm240Nm @ 2000-4000rpm240Nm @ 2000-4000rpm280Nm @ 1650-3500rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaPoland
Safety Features
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
  • Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
  • Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
  • Forward Collision Warning
  • Keyless Entry
  • Power Steering
  • USB Port
  • Voice Control
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2016