17Holden Colorado

EIC94
EIC943 posts
  Colorado RG 4x4 Z71

Such a great ute!

My fiance and I purchased the 2017 colorado Z71 after much deliberation. Having previously owned a 2009 Holden SV6 Thunder ute, we upgraded to the colorado as a future family and work car. We love this ute and it has heaps of great features! But there are some things we noticed that we weren't happy with until afterwards, for example the dual climate control in the Thunder is not in the Z71 (being that I always have the heater on while my partner has the A/C on). The seats in the Z71 are not very comfortable and after a road trip it's actually a bit painful... And the tub of the ute also had a leak, we took it back to the dealer who looked at the seal, but could not find any problem. Other than that we absolutely love this ute! Show details
Overall
Noise Level
IDW
IDWGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

RG1 great for what it is

Purchased the RG1 as a workhorse in Oct 13. 5 years on, have replaced alternator (warranty @ 3 years 115k) and Air Con compressor @ 180k. 210k and just fitted 3rd set of tires (100k per set), drives great and auto is as smooth as any car I’ve driven. Towa 2 1/2 ton of boat beautifully. So happy with it, I bough a Z71 RG2 in Oct 2015 which is a bit smoother (110k) and no issues. I drive both of them hard and service when due. Neither leak or use oil. We do a lot of highway and interstate Ks and find both very comfortable on the road. Show details
Angry19
Angry1916 posts

Colin the Colorado

I bought this vehicle in 2009 and must admit to being a little apprehensive. I have owned 4x4s before but never a dual cab.
I so glad I did as this the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It never complains, it’s just point and shoot and it works every time. After 257,000 klms it’s still as strong as it was the day I drove it out of the dealership.
Would I recommend this vehicle, without question!! I have been asked a few times why don’t you update and my answer is always, Why!! Show details
Brett
Brett

2019 Crew cab 4wd

Vehicle is used for work and Private, vibration through the car makes it unpleasant to live with. Have been told by the dealer the trans needs a triple flush? Then told could be an engine balance problem. Holdens customer service is awful. 3 months and still waiting. Show details
Petar B
Petar BPerth, WA

6 speed automatic transmission vibration. Am told normal. What a disappointment

Purchase new LTZ with 276km. Right after purchase noticed transmission viberated through car between 90 - 110km. Took back to dealer and told was normal. Test drove another demo and same vibration.
Been searching Chevy colorado US sites and there has been warranty replacements on 8 speed auto trans torque converters with same issue. Unable to find solution here in OZ. What a disappointment. Show details
Braking
Dalco
DalcoSouth East Queensland, QLD2 posts

Do your home work

My 2018 Colorado has a shudder problem. I do 800 Klm’s a week and Holden say it will get better. It is the same in all Colorado’s. I have had Holden engineers drive the car and all they could do was offer me gifts.well, the car has now done 35000k and is still a shudder bucket. Biggest piece of rubbish I have owned. The torque converter locks way too early which causes the car to labour. I have driven a few different Colorado’s now and none are as bad as mine.save your money and do your research before you make a choice. Show details
Woz
WozAU3 posts

LTZ RG Colorado 2012 - 2013

Vibration throughout the car

Who's pinion seal doesn't leak?

Who's passanger seat doesn't wobble like a mofo without a body sitting on it?

New valves needed just before 100,000km shat itself.

Wish I kept in and put a gen3 in it tho. Other than that.... They're POX be cautious if you're buying one aye.

dirtydog
dirtydog
  Verified Colorado RG 4x4 LS

2019 Colorado LS

Ive just picked up today a Brand new 2019 Colorado Ls, { company car not my choice } if you want a comfortable work ute / office, keep away. This is by far the most agricultural vehicle I have driven apart from a John deere tractor.

It's uncomfortable, basic, terrible handling and the brakes are borderline dangerous. Even the handbrake goes straight to the roof and it's only travelled 75klm. Our company bought Two and they are both like it.

Save your money.

It's not good when you pick up a new work ute and even the

salesman says you won't like it.

MzTee
MzTeeAU2 posts
Wayne
Wayne5 posts
Kaaaar
Kaaaar2 posts
  Colorado RG 4x4 Z71

Spot on

Have had other models of Holdens previously that we had major issues with, so we were reluctant to buy another Holden. But can happily say that our 2017 Z71 is spot on. We test drove the top of the range Tritan and they really don’t even compare to each other. They drive on road like a dream, off road great, tow like there is nothing on the back. we haven’t had a single issue yet. Though, a slight near the back wheels that we will get checked. Only thing I could suggest, is a better sound system. Coming from a SRI-V Cruise (complete lemon of a car other than the sound system) If the Crusie could have a really good sound system you’d think for the price of the Z71 it could be better. All in all we love it!

Kimmie
Kimmie
  Verified RG

Last Holden ever very disappointed in Holden’s service

Purchased this ute from new the aircon was permanently on cold, have a vibration that goes through the Ute at 1500 revs which has been there since the day we got it and numerous visits back to the dealer with no joy and at just over 12 months old has rust along the top of the windscreen. Ute has only done 21000k’s and is only used for commuting to work.

LC1
LC16 posts

Good all round ute

Used every day, always serviced on time and never thrashed when on the road. I have had a few issues but realistically, good value for what I paid for it. In respect of reliability, it's very good but the good old Holden days are gone so nothing will last for years anymore sadly.

It is super stable and comfortable on the road. I have upgraded the suspension to heavy duty - out of necessity and keep on top of any maintenance. I would buy another...

Skye
SkyeSydney, NSW6 posts
  Colorado RG 4x4 LTZ

Great for towing, loads of power!!

Purchased a 2017 Holden Colorado RG LTZ back in October last year and still smiling when I see what I'm driving home. This vehicle is four door, and is great for my family and also my work place. I often tow a caravan , a boat and a box trailer all of which the Colorado handles with ease and pleasure. The back seat is wide and deep enough to fit three child/baby seats across the back, without compromising leg room in the front of the cabin.

This vehicle has build in Satellite navigation, front and reverse sensors making parking a breeze as well as a top quality reverse camera. This features are on top of a top ancap safety rating, with side, front, back airbags and grade braking for the big down hill slopes.

John
JohnBuderim

Alternator Issue

Vehicle has 90,000Km, go anywhere, pulls 22ft van with ease; one of the best cars I have owned in 50 years problem free until this week. 1. developed engine noise and rough idle - bearing collapse on alternator idler pulley, replaced bearing. 2. Driving along in 60 zone, loud "POP" sound, engine lost power - hose blew off turbo, not damaged, just blew from fitting - re-joined and tightened retainer screw clamp.

I would have thought the idler pulley bearing would have been a vehicle "life" thing, not 90,000Km ?. Maybe the turbo clamp worked loose?

Any comment or feedback please

BunnyCaloundra9 posts

Blown Head Gasket

Well, just completed service at 120K.This vehicle has had a very easy life.No towing, very little off road ( Fraser, Bloomfield)never overheated and always driven conservatively.But it has a leak from the cylinder head gasket at right hand rear of block.Using a very small amount of water.I would have thought this engine would have lasted a LOT longer before needing major surgery.I have been told by two mechanics that they have seen a few of these models with the same problem.Not happy or impressed at all.

Nesh
Nesh

Mini Tank. Excellent car

Excellent car. 2012 DX 4x4 model single cab. My work car has done 200,000. Towing 2ton trailer every day. Never had a problem, oil consumption 0, manual transmission beautiful, servicing every 5,000-7,500. Upgrade catch can,Stainless steel exhaust, air bags on rear, future upgrade bigger intercooler and that's it.

I heard lots of issues with Colorado but mine is absolutely great.

Colliedog
ColliedogSydney13 posts
  Colorado RG 4x4 LTZ

Never buy a Holden vehicle again

Oil consumption very high; fix = thicker oil ???

Engine vibrates heavily always; fix 1 = replace tyres ???. fix 2 = replace front wheel bearings ???. fix 3 = that's the way they were built, tough !!!!. Go away and live with it as we (GMH) are not going to do anything about it !!!

Interestingly GMH have replaced a large number of engines under wty.

Keith
KeithFar North Queensland, QLD3 posts

Oil Consumption 2.8 Auto

On a trip towing a 1.5ton Camper with about 750kg in the back of the ute my Space Cab 2.8 Auto consumes 200ml of 5w 40 oil every 1000km, it has being doing it since day one, this equates to 3 litres of oil per 15000km which Mr GM Holden states is within specifications. City driving oil consumption is about half. I have asked where all of the oil is going and what effect it will have on the catalytic converter, EGR system and carbon deposits - no response. I've done 80,000km now and have extended warranty but they don't want to know me. Yes I am frustrated because the ute is very good apart from the oil consumption.

Beccal
BeccalNarellan7 posts
  Colorado RG 4x2

Good

I’ve driven my grandads and I wanted to keep it, drives really well steering is fantastic quite light to drive for such a big car. Spacious and quite luxurious inside which is good, my daughter loved it also I would definitely drive it again if I could :) good job

Matt
Matt6 posts
  Verified RG

Love the RG Colorado

Bought a 2014 RG Colorado, as we needed something reliable, good economy, 5 seats and decent load and towing capacity. We couldn’t be happier with it. Quality build, excellent economy, good power from a small Diesel engine. Pricing is reasonable, only negative is front seats aren’t very comfortable for touring, long trips

TMC
TMC4 posts
  RG

Sold a lemon nothing but Junk

Bought brand new only just hit 120000ks and has just cost me over $5400 to fix gearbox, clutch and flywheel, no warranty or support from the dealer or Holden. I am so disappointed as this was over a 60k vehicle not even 5 years old, never again will I buy HOLDEN

Liz D
Liz DBrisbane21 posts

Perfect Ute for all adventures

Great for the bush and the beach and everything in between. Plenty of room for kids of all sizes (or just men!) great air flow and engine capacity. Sand does catch within the wheel frame which throws off the alignment whilst on the beach - but don’t be alarmed it’s just the car loving the beach as much as you!

Dalco
DalcoSouth East Queensland, QLD2 posts
  RG

Colorado shudder and over heat issues

Whilst driving my new 2018 RG Colorado on a freeway I feel like I am driving on a dirt corrugated road when I reach certain speeds. These cars shudder. Not only that ,I have been told that people have had to remove after market bull bars because it makes them over heat. Well guess what. Mine got hot going over Cunningham’s gap without towing and my bull bar is genuine. Let’s see what they say about that. I wish I had bought the ranger.

Nick
Nick

Rubbish

Drives well and that’s it’s only good point. If you don’t continually fill it with oil it will run out between services. Had a catastrophic engine failure at 30k whilst at the dealership being serviced. I have never had to put oil in my Bt50 between services. Buy something else.

HICKY
HICKYmelbourne7 posts

428 000 klm;s

2008 RC Colorado 4x4 turbo diesel tray.After 20 odd years being in the car trade.This is the best vehicle I have ever owned.428000 klm;s,i service it myself(not a mechanic)every 10000 klm;s,only issue lately,egr replaced,i am the 2nd owner,Never had the clutch replaced,do a lot of city klm;s ,do a lot of offroad,,still going strong .Looking forward to the next 428000,GREAT CAR..Glad I didn't buy a hilux...unbreakable..pfffft…..lol....,honestly Motor has never been rebuilt,its as good as the day it was made.a big thanks to CASTROL MAGNATEC-15W40. AND HOLDEN...HICKY

Colin
Colin

Awesome experience

Awesome driving experience, handles very nice, no noise and a very smooth ride. Plenty of room and leg space, very reliable, and very economical to run, i love this car just want one to sit beside my ss. Best 4x4 i have ever driven i like the interior being leather.

boomer
boomer78 posts
Chris
Chris

Don' buy

My Colorado has never been on a dirt road, 4 wheel drive used once to for 5 metres it now has a rattle in the passenger side door a vibration and rattle across the dash when going over bumps which on Aussie roads is a lot. It does not have the technology as other vehicles the same era, no sat nav. It has 40,000 on the clock. I can't wait to trade it in after seeing these reviews, next time a Toyota. Low beam is like driving with candles in front, especially on country roads when the car in front goes out of sight + lots of other annoying deficits

DBJ
DBJ
BJPB
BJPBGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC2 posts

Better utes out there

Worked as a Plant Engineer on a WA Mine Site, and unfortunately had to drive one of these. Poor handling off road, gutless engine and auto unresponsive. It was plagued with electrical gremlins, and it's sister ute was also sidelined most of the time. We also had a couple of Rangers and 95% Hilux's. If it's for work off road and in extreme conditions, stay clear.

Jay C
TDS
Tim
TimSouth East Queensland, QLD6 posts
  RG

Great vehicle and great price

Purchased a brand new Holden Colorado and was verry happy with the service at the dealership, freindly and well educated on the vehicle. The vehicle has taken me to all sorts of places and i know i can rely on it. So happy i can drive wherever i want and know i will not have any problems. Very happy.

John Reece
John ReeceLangwarrin4 posts

Love my colly

We purchased our Colorado as a tow vehicle and to be able to get away camping. The car is comfortable and is pleasant to drive. Tows our caravan extremely well both on the bitumen and the gravel. Like the hill start assist as well as the graded braking. The audio system it very good and easy to navigate the controls. Fuel usage is good at around 8-9 L/ 100KM unladen to around 14L / 100KM toing the van and the tray loaded.

Bree
Bree5 posts

Holden Colorado 2011 4x4 Diesel

I LOVE my car. I have never had any issues with it. Definitely has a bit of up and go about it. Quite cheap to run! Would never go back to a petrol now. Most reliable car I have ever owned. Tows everything fine - most importantly - the boat.

Capt Kev
Capt Kev

Towed my 2.5 ton van for 50,000 is no problems

Excessive wind noise. Rough ride. 1st gear is too high near burnt the clutch out at the lights. Still good though. Don't understand people with clutch problems.16 lts per 100 ks towing the van, dingy on roof and plenty of stuff in the back.Use Flashlube fuel additive and change the oil and filter every 5000ks. No problems. Use air bags brilliant.

Jonny