Holman GreenWall Vertical Planting GW1001

Holman GreenWall Vertical Planting GW1001

2.0 from 1 review

johnm80Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Useless as a vertical garden

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Holman
Holman I.Holman

Jan McDasked

We have 6 of the greenwall kits which we had installed over the last 12 + months. They have been growing reasonably well, although it has been trial and error with the plants used, and having installed an automated watering system, it has also been trial and error to adjust all the drippers. I have to say that there were no "spikes" included in any of our kits, so I have jiggled the pipes to position them to best advantage.
Over all, our system has worked quite well, including whilst we were away on holiday. However, with the recent heavy rains we've had, the pots became so waterlogged, the bases pulled off the brick wall. It was all looking so beautiful, too.
How? you may well ask.
The brick wall we used for our installation, is made from extremely hard bricks (40+ years old!) which are incredibly difficult to drill into, so a suitable, very strong adhesive was used to position the metal brackets. The glue was given a couple of weeks to set before we considered placing the frames onto the brackets. Note - We've had some of the gardens in place for nearly 12 months without mishap.
My thought was that I used ordinary potting mix which may have become too heavy with all the rain, thus causing too much strain on the glue.
Apart from spending a squillion dollars on drills and bits to screw the brackets on, do you have any other suggestions for attaching the brackets to our incredibly hard, brick wall?
JanLMcD
March 2019

johnm80

Most glues are not waterproof and are meant to be only a temporary fixing. I decided that the Holman Kits were basically useless because of the size of the pots and i could not get the irrigation system to work. I eventually took them all down and replaced them with some weldmesh fence panels that were 900mm wide and had each side bent over by about 50mm thick, with a wire spacing of 50mm. I cut the fence panels to about 1200 long and used four fencing clips to hold each piece on the brick wall. These fence clips can be bought from the same place as the fence panels, I got mine from Stratco. The panels have the advantage that they allow air to flow between the wall and the back of the mounting panel and this keeps the bricks dry. I purchased some larger pots from Bunnings (Green wall brand I think) and I used some 'S' hooks, also from Bunnings to hold the pots to the fence panels. This allowed more flexibility where pots were placed and made it easier to move pots when a plant grew larger. I did not install any irrigation system and I just hose the pots down by hand.

Jan McD

Up until the brackets departed from the brickwork, we'd not had any problems with the watering system once we sorted the drippers, and the garden was growing quite well. (Unfortunately, I had not taken a recent photo before our little mishap) We are currently exploring options for the re-attachment of the brackets, preferably not by drilling into our incredibly tough bricks!
I had a look at the Green Wall website yesterday, and I recall looking at those pots etc before we bought the Holman system. We went with Holman because of the integrated watering system. I'm glad you've managed to find a system that is now working right for you.

Holman
Holman I.Holman

Hello Jan, we are sorry to hear you have had issues with your Greenwall system. They are designed to be firmly fixed to masonry using the supplied fixings. A fresh masonry drill bit will do the job perfectly! Thank you, your Holman Team.

Get an answer from our members and Holman representatives

CategoryLawn Care & Garden Maintenance Tools