HomeStart

HomeStart Questions & Answers

23 questions from our users

How long does settlement usually take

How long does settlement usually take
Hi Melissa the time can vary depending on the lender you choose and other factors based on your individual circumstances. Just checking, when you're asking about settlement do you mean the time it takes from when you receive formal finance approval to when the property becomes yours legally? If you'd like to reach out to us on 9231 4567 we can find out a bit more about your circumstances and then provide you some more information from there? Thanks HomeStart.Yes how long does settlement take after recieving formal approvalThanks Melissa unfortunately it's still a case that it is really based on so many factors we can't give one definitive timeframe. If you'd like to reach out to us with help from The Loan Company to chat further about your circumstances we'd love to be able to assist you further - 9231 4567. HomeStart

How long it takes to get pro approval and then loan settlement ?
Hi Richard, Thanks for your question. The time it takes to obtain a pre approval and then ultimately settlement can vary depending on your individual circumstances. It's important to use a mortgage broker who understands the banks' policies to make the process as quick as possible. Please let us know if you'd like to speak to someone from our finance partners, The Loan Co about your own financial circumstances so we give more accurate information to you.What is your current lead time of pre-approval? ThanksHi Cathy, thanks for reaching out. Regarding your question it really depends on your individual circumstances on the time it takes to obtain a pre-approval. If you'd like to reach out to us on 9231 4567 we can find out a bit more about your circumstances and then provide you some more information from there? Thanks HomeStart

How long did your build take with HomeStart from date of settlement??
10 months...from the date of settlement to the handing of house keys.

Our HomeStart application has been submitted to Assessment Team last Monday, can anyone enlighten me how long they will get back to me in terms of results? Any response would be appreciated, cheers
About a week, if they don't contact you tomorrow then give them a buzz!We got our Conditional Approval yesterday, thanks Sammy...Subject to Valuation due to delay on land developer

Hi there, I am looking to build my first home with my other half (his first home as well) so we would be eligible for the first home owners grant. A few questions: (May seem silly but I just want to know) 1. Can the first home owners grant $15,000 be used as part of the deposit? 2. I have bad credit history (Bad decisions made in the past) and my other half has a great credit history - has anyone have any experience dealing with Homestart in this situation and had much issues get a low deposit loan? Thank you :)
Yes you can use the fhog to cover part of your deposit but you will need about 1% genuine savings. Definitely talk to someone from homestart about your situation as I'm sure they can help you out!

Do you have to build a Homestart home or can you bring your own design to be built if you go through Homestart as we don't likie any of their designs and surely they can match other builders plans and specials?
We chose their Cape Promo but for planning restrictions, we had to have the garage on the side. This actually suited us as our front overlooks a future landscaped stream. We moved many things around in our design, some cost more, some removed cost and some costs remained the same. It is possible to alter designs to your liking but ensure you have accurate costings of the work.

I am looking to build with homestart and have been told that I qualify, however, I have been told by keystart I don't qualify. Is homestart the same as keystart? Also I have been told that I don't have to pay anything during the build but is there a lump sum I have to find at the end? I am not getting a straight answer when I ask these questions which I find a little odd.
Hi Moi stick with Homestart you won't regret it. Keystart is a different mob I think. Homestart with my build are up to plastering stage and I am very satisfied with the service workmanship and communication. So If Homestart said you qualify then go ahead. I had Brent for the loan side with hOMESTART. Also once your loan with bank is approved each month you will pay just the interest on your loan then after your move in go to bank and change payment to interest/principle payments. So yes you do have to pay during build. Cheers ErrolKeystart is the financial institution for the home loan, not a building company. Go elsewhere plenty of homebuilders out there and they'll be upfront with you.think of a tree.. different branches - key start is finance - home start are the builders who have access to said finance if people qualify for it. or all banks if people do not qualify for the key start product. they will find finance - area - land - house design and put it all together for you. hope this helps.

Has anyone done civil proceedings against Homestart/BGC Residential?
I'm not aware if there any civil proceeding against them. I'm only sharing my experience building with them and Im really satisfied with thier service.

Has anyone that built with Home Start have [Name Removed] for their construction contact? If so what was she like?
We've been building with Homestart and are between completion inspections. [Name Removed] is our current contact at Homestart she is nice enough but I find her very slow to respond to emails and keep us up to date as she has a lot of time off sick.Hello dear! we are also building with Homestart and [Name Removed] is also our CA. Yes she is like that with us too. She is always on leave and unwell whenever we contact her through email. But she is nice and responds to our query quite enough.[Name Removed] is my main contact and I haven't had any dramas, always receive a reply within a couple of hours

Can anyone advise us whether we can request HomeStart to make some minor changes in the contract/building plan regarding one of the design elements that we failed to pick up after giving out the signatures. We believe that design does not make sense at all and is impractical. From my knowledge, that particular element is yet to be built. We are grateful for any response for this scenario.
You can request it and they will charge you for doing so! If I was you, I would cut my losses with the deposit you put down and get out of there now!!!!Yes you will be probably charged for alteration depending on what it is as any changes were meant to be made up to and at pre-start. My advice is don't run away they will give you a great home I have very happy with my build they have done an excellent job cheers Errol

I want to know which areas do u do land and house packaging and what's the basic price range?
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. If you're after information on house and land packages, probably best to contact Homestart.

Where can I submit a complaint against Homestart?
Reiwa

My home is almost finish but I'm not happy with anything!!! is it any possibility to cancel everything?? Please help??
what do you mean cancel everything? like not take the house ? if they haven't done something right that's in the addenda and plan you can make them fix it, or if it's something that you don't like now it will be off your own backI will hire building inspector to check! They haven't done few things what we ask! I'll see on inspection, thanksHi again, do you know what can I do?? on preestatrt I ask agent to upgrade taps in the sinks in toilets and in the shower but they did only in shower and they saying is not on papers! I was thinking it is But agent didn't put on papers. She forgot and I was asking her few time did she upgrade and when we was signing I was asking her did she put everything! What can I do now because they don't care!! I'm really disappointed with this company ! On first interview was great and after signing first contract everything went wrong!! Agent on prestart should help clients!!

Am building with this mob, but the house is taking forever to finish. In their contract their is a clause that the house may take upto 250 days to finish. What recourse do I have if this time has been exceeded? This is assuming that they wont use the excuse of contractors. What's left in my house can be finished within a week but,they keep telling me about 6 weeks every time I talk to them since January.
Hey xSalty. They are a disastrous company, just go to REIWA and formalize a complaint just to be on a safer side and they dont' give lame excuses.That was the same with me, the end part took the longest, and was just small jobs. We were close to the 250 but they ended up finishing before that, I'm not sure what they do when that time is up, I cant remember , it should be outlined in the contract.Thanks guys. Rohan do you know whether Homestart is a member of Reiwa? Neveragain, passed by the house over the weekend and saw that they have done more than they have done in 6wks. Maybe they feel their time is up.

ok, I have read reviews and questions. If you were to build with homestart again, what would be your questions? I have literaly just tonight payed the $1200 deposit to secure the house and land package. So far I have had a positive journey and it has happened nice and quickly as we had hoped. We have been told we should be in by Christmas of 2015. What questions do we need to ask or what do we need to tell them so we dont go through a shocking experience? Thanks everyone
I would suggest you to be very frequent with questions, just stay in touch with your property manager, try to get them to keep in touch with you, building your knew home should be a learning process try to get them to communicate with you every step. Once you are apart of the process then if anything was to happen, touch wood it wont, you can be on top of it as soon as possible. I would also suggest that unless you desperately need the house by December urge them to not rush with all building processes as that's how mistakes happen, if done properly by December its a win win process, but if not then you've just got a bad review like the most of us.Stay in touch with your client liaison officer. Use email to contact them so you have written evidence. All builders have good & bad. A brickie shortage caused delays for us, it was industry wide & not necessarily their fault, but communication would have helped. I have found them to be very informative on the building process but we have built 3 houses so we now know what we are doing. If you have someone who can help you through the process use them. If possible keep up to date with what stage your house is at & inspect it regularly. Patience is a good thing to have when building a house but don't let builders get away with anything because most will walk all over you if they get the chance. HomeStart are the second builder we have built with and they are head and shoulders above the other one we used so I'm happy with them.I did my pre start on 16 January 2014. They didn't put my pad down until June 2014. It is still under construction and I was told yesterday that it is still 3 months until likely hand over. Good luck, and have low expectations.

Can anyone please advise me on what to do if I'm not happy with the tiling job? It is ridiculously uneven and messy. Do I wait until key handover to let them know? I live very close to my build so I'm there very frequently checking out the progress and when I went yesterday I noticed the tiling was completed - very poorly.
Tell them now so they can fix it before hand over, once hand over happens they really don't care. we went in and put post it notes all over the tiling telling them to fix certain things. contact the supervisor as well and say that you have left notes and your not happy and you want it fixed

During lock up whenever we go to our house over the weekend our house is always open, either a few doors and windows, or all of them. anyone else having this problem?
Yep, same problem. I addressed it many times to no avail . Prior to handover we had to insure the house. They left the house unlocked under our insurance too. They just don't care about anything but getting your money. They really don't. No pride, no accountability, no manners and no communication.

I have been told by my construction liason that I am not able to speak with my construction supervisor until 1st inspection. Is this correct? Should I not be able to speak with him directly instead of having to go through a third party? Confused.....
Well since its your construction supervisor you should have the right to talk to him. If you had built the house yourself you would have full contact so this shouldn't be any different.Yes you should have that right but in true Homestart style, they have included that in their policy. Just another way to deceive and ignore their clients. The only reason the site supervisor gave me his number was to try to get me to get the city of wanneroo to withdrawal an infringement for littering. One of many infringements for littering. You'll just get abused anyway. I called the site supervisor to line up a date and time that suited him to enter my house to measure the fridge recess. I was told to go _ myself by that supervisor. If you have any queries, I would suggest contacting the building commission. I found them very helpful in making Homestart do simple things like using primer before painting. Make sure they use primer and make sure that they prime the tops and bottoms of the doors. They need to be primed in order for the manufacturers warranty to hold up. Don't let them bully you. I was rushed during my inspection. Shame on you Homestart! Good luckYeah aparently your not allowed to contact them at all, everything has to go trough the Client Liasion. but we have constantly contacted ours about problems they need to fix during construction, and he's very helpful and answers most of our questions, he's been a bit lax lately. during lock up has everyone else been to there house and the whole house is open? we always go on weekends and there is always at least two doors open and a window open !

Get an answer from our members and HomeStart representatives