Easy to manoeuvre
Durable build quality
Prone to clogging
Carburetor plays up after about 3 years
First 3 years were great
After that the mower began to die after 20 mins of mowing
Took it to an experienced mower place, they said you need a new Carburetor that cost 3/4 of the price of a new mower! Even they recommended buying a new mower and not wasting money on it (they were not trying to sell me a new mower either)
It wasn't fuel or the spark plugs etc
The mower still starts first or second pull but it will not rev to a high speed and recently has started seeking before just dying, rendering it useless
I paid a lot of money for this Honda, I expected to get 8+ years out of it, to get just over 3 has left me with an aversion to buying Honda again...I'm now looking at a Makita battery mower, which cost more but I bet I get more than 3 years out of it before running into trouble
Purchased for $799.00.
What A doosy
Wont pick up the Cut Grass.
Get used to it. Had my HRU 19 for a number years. Wont load the catcher consisitantly. Basically leaves 80% of cuttings on your lawn. Done the blades cleaned the catcher many times. These are just the poorest design I have ever seen especially being regarded as a good brand. Easy to start just buy a few rakes for your entire family at the same time. The Motor does seem slightly under powered just able to cut a medium to low lawn. Very quiet.
I'll stick with the previous brand and retire this to the farm for small trimmings where the cuttings can stay on the lawn. Honda should have got onto this before releasing these mowers.
Purchased in January 2016 for $950.00.
Questions & Answers
Am using this mower for the first time What do I need to do to start the motor?
Turn the fuel flow on, if it isn't already on, push the throttle all the way forward as far as you can (this activates the choke) then pull the cord. Once the engine fires pull the throttle back midway and let it idle and warm up. I never turn my fuel off and the mower starts 1st pull 98% of the time and always on the 2nd pull if it didn't start 1st pull.
On my mower, turn fuel on (I also always leave mine on), hold the engine brake lever on the handle in, and pull the starter.
Get an answer from our members
- The Honda HRU19 is a petrol push mower that’s ideal for medium sized lawns.
- It has a GCV170 4-stroke engine, which is lightweight and easy to start.
- The mower has a tough alloy deck, making it durable and able to withstand harsh conditions.
- An auto choke system automatically sets the choke to provide the optimal start in all types of cutting conditions.
- A lever to adjust the height of all 4 wheels lets you cut in a way that’s comfortable for you.
- Debris is easily caught with the mower’s full open discharge shoot.
- This product has a 4-year domestic warranty.
Points of praise:
- Most reviewers found that the lawn mower was simple to start and started reliably - many reviewers also said that it started on the first pull every time they used it.
- Reviewers also found that the mower was easy to manoeuvre around their lawns.
- According to reviewers, the build quality of this mower is exceptional; many found that they had very few issues with the mower and rarely needed to service it, even after many years of use.
A point of pain:
- Some reviewers found that the chute of the mower clogged up too frequently. While some found that this only happened with damp or wet grass, there were also reviewers who noted that the mower also clogged up when they cut dry grass.
|Category||Petrol Lawn Mowers||Petrol Lawn Mowers||Petrol Lawn Mowers||Petrol Lawn Mowers|
|Features||Blade Brake, Mulching Capability and Quick-Start Motor||Blade Brake, Deck Clean-out Port and Mulching Capability||Blade Brake, Deck Clean-out Port and Mulching Capability|
|Catcher Capacity||60 L||60 L||54 L||54 L|
|Cutting Deck Material||Aluminium Alloy||Aluminium Alloy||Aluminium Alloy||Plastic|
|Cutting Width||470 mm||482 mm||470 mm||470 mm|
|Height of Cut||16 mm to 76 mm||16 mm to 76 mm||16 mm to 80 mm||16 mm to 80 mm|
|Number of Blades||1||1||1||1|
|Weight||34 kg||34 kg||31 kg|
|Manufacturer Warranty||4 year(s)||4 year(s)||4 year(s)||4 year(s)|
|Engine / Motor|
|Engine Name||Honda GCV160 4-Stroke||Honda GCV160 4 Stroke||Honda 170cc OHV/OHC 4-stroke Engine||Honda GCV170|
|Engine Type||4-Stroke||4-Stroke||4-Stroke, OHC (Overhead Cam) and OHV (Overhead Valve)||4-Stroke|
|Engine Displacement||170 cc|
|Release date||Sept 2010||Sept 2010||Sept 2010|
|Replaced by||Honda Buffalo Buck HRU19M1|
Other Petrol Lawn Mowers
ProductReview.com.au has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence our content moderation policies in any way, though ProductReview.com.au may earn commissions for products/services purchased via affiliate links.