Honda HRU19

HRU19K1, HRU19M1, HRU19D, etc...
See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Honda Power Equipment? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

• Starts reliably

• Easy to manoeuvre

• Durable build quality

Cons

• Prone to clogging

• Product is used
  • Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency
Ruben
RubenSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great BUT

Purchased in September 2014 at Mower place Browns plains for $739.00.

Country boy
Country boyLitchfield, NT

Had three of these now

I remember the model with the bag and small chute that was prone to blocking stayed on very well, unfortunately the plastic polymer falls off or at least spits clippings in warm weather or midday sun due to it being black and expanding/bending when hot. I like the mowers but there's always been a problem with Honda catchers which lets them down. Would be pretty well perfect if they could sort this issue

Purchased in June 2020 for $850.00.

Stoney
StoneyRockhampton

6 months under water and still goes

I service and repair garden equipment as a bit of a hoppy. Not a fan of the new long range buffalo. The only mower I have ever paid money for $1100 only to sell it 12 months later at a big loss. Far to heavy and the reduced discharge Shute it clogged and bogged very easy. They don’t build em like the used to. I’m currently working on the older ohc 19D 6 months under water and then a few years sitting in a paddock. I have had to replace is the governor springs and throttle cable for obvious reasons. I gave it a major clean up and I was amazed when second pull she fired up. It ran a little rough but with a tune and some further running it runs like a charm. I’m gonna keep this old girl as an experiment and see how long she will run for

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Johnno
JohnnoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Fairly decent mower

This mower cuts well when the grass is dry and not too thick. The less than perfect design flaw of having only a half a chute means it struggles with thick and/or wet grass and constantly clogs up, requiring the user to stop and unclog it. I also find the engine brake a pain, as every time you take hand of the holder, the mower stops. However, the mower like most Hondas, is a reliable starter, starting first pull every time. It does actually cut the grass really well when my lawn is not thick or wet.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

piece of crap

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Phil N
Phil NMelbourne

Can never start it!

This is supposed to be an "easy start" which is why I purchased it but I can just never ever start it. I use fresh petrol, etc. Been like this since day 1. Obviously took it back, but somehow they could start it in front of me, but I never could.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

A LEMON

Bought mower based on Honda reputation for quality.

It has been a lemon since day 1!
I have used this mower for 5-6 hours and it has been back to the dealer 3 times for poor starting No starting.
Parts replaced come home and after 1 hour it will not restart. So back to dealer this week again!!!
SO out comes my Dad's old 35 year old Scott Bonner mower. This mower takes 2-3 pulls off she goes and mows.
Bottom line is. Easy Start as promoted by Honda is a joke!!!!

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Good, but not great

Date PurchasedJuly 2015
Carvaan
CarvaanPerth WA

I am a big fan of Honda

Every time I am in the market I prefer to buy Honda without a doubt but this time a made a mistake as this model has very good specs, very powerful but the chute was small and can't handle wet grass.
I mean technically who mows in wet grass but in winter months it happens and trust me u don't want to keep cleaning the chute after every 5 minutes specially when u spend $1100.
NO NO

TysonQueensland, 4173

Rubbish mower great engine

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Waste of time and money

The mower has potential to cut the grass if only it worked. It starts easy then after 5 minutes starts surging then just stops. You then have to leave it an hour or more before you can start it again. Have taken it back to service people 5 times already. They can't find a problem. I think the mower is just faulty and should be recalled. I want my money back. We spent a lot of money on this mower so I would have an easy job of mowing the lawn. All I have is trouble.

Date PurchasedJan 2014
Chaser
Chaser

Terrible mower

Add me to the long list of owners who hate this mower. I bought mine a couple of years ago and have regretted it ever since.
The chute continually clogs if the grass is the slightest bit damp. It takes me twice as long to cut the lawn because I'm forever having to remove the catcher to unblock the chute. The mower doesn't start easily, on average at least 6 pulls. It has now developed a problem where the engine won't shut off, I'm guessing the throttle cable has slipped and needs adjustment. The mower has only seen around 25 hours use so it's hardly broken in. My old $400 Victa 4 stroke walks all over this mower for ease of use and reliability. I won't be buying a Honda again.

Date PurchasedJuly 2014

Not like they used to make them!

Some 6 years ago I purchased a new buffalo after the old one finally packed it in after getting a good 20 years out of it. I've just returned it to the local dealer after experiencing some serious issues - not sure if I'll be a honda person any more!

Honda

James H.Honda

Geoffrey B.
Geoffrey B.asked
Buffalo Buck HRU19R1

Am using this mower for the first time What do I need to do to start the motor?

jbambury
jbambury

Turn the fuel flow on, if it isn't already on, push the throttle all the way forward as far as you can (this activates the choke) then pull the cord. Once the engine fires pull the throttle back midway and let it idle and warm up. I never turn my fuel off and the mower starts 1st pull 98% of the time and always on the 2nd pull if it didn't start 1st pull.

Alan
Alan

On my mower, turn fuel on (I also always leave mine on), hold the engine brake lever on the handle in, and pull the starter.

John Charlie A.
John Charlie A.asked
HRU19

Where do the throttle cables connect on carby

Reviewer R.
Reviewer R.

From your many posts I believe you should take it to a proper service agent.

John Charlie A.
John Charlie A.asked
HRU19

What type of spark plug & gap size

Features:

• The Honda HRU19 is a petrol push mower that’s ideal for medium sized lawns.
  • It has a GCV170 4-stroke engine, which is lightweight and easy to start.
  • The mower has a tough alloy deck, making it durable and able to withstand harsh conditions.
  • An auto choke system automatically sets the choke to provide the optimal start in all types of cutting conditions.
  • A lever to adjust the height of all 4 wheels lets you cut in a way that’s comfortable for you.
  • Debris is easily caught with the mower’s full open discharge shoot.
  • This product has a 4-year domestic warranty.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers found that the lawn mower was simple to start and started reliably - many reviewers also said that it started on the first pull every time they used it.
  • Reviewers also found that the mower was easy to manoeuvre around their lawns.
  • According to reviewers, the build quality of this mower is exceptional; many found that they had very few issues with the mower and rarely needed to service it, even after many years of use.

A point of pain:

• Some reviewers found that the chute of the mower clogged up too frequently. While some found that this only happened with damp or wet grass, there were also reviewers who noted that the mower also clogged up when they cut dry grass.
Compare all 5 Honda HRU19
CategoryPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn Mowers
Price (RRP) $939.00$899.00$889.00$899.00
Power SourcePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
FeaturesBlade Brake, Mulching Capability and Quick-Start MotorBlade Brake, Deck Clean-out Port and Mulching CapabilityBlade Brake, Deck Clean-out Port and Mulching Capability
Catcher Type RigidRigidRigidRigid
Catcher Capacity60 L60 L54 L54 L
Cutting Deck MaterialAluminium AlloyAluminium AlloyAluminium AlloyPlastic
Cutting Width470 mm482 mm470 mm470 mm
Height of Cut16 mm to 76 mm16 mm to 76 mm16 mm to 80 mm16 mm to 80 mm
Number of Blades1111
Weight34 kg34 kg31 kg
Manufacturer Warranty4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)
Engine / Motor
Engine NameHonda GCV160 4-StrokeHonda GCV160 4 StrokeHonda 170cc OHV/OHC 4-stroke EngineHonda GCV170
Engine Type4-Stroke4-Stroke4-Stroke, OHC (Overhead Cam) and OHV (Overhead Valve)4-Stroke
BrandHondaHondaHondaHonda