Honda HRU19

Honda HRU19 (page 2 of 4)

HRU19K1, HRU19M1, HRU19D, etc...
See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Honda Power Equipment? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

• Starts reliably

• Easy to manoeuvre

• Durable build quality

Cons

• Prone to clogging

• Product is used
  • Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency

Robbo
RobboNorth Queensland, QLD

Beat it

I've had tis mower for 2-3years & never mist a beat.very happy with it.clean it every time u use it & you'll never.have a problem with it. Very impressed. Starts straight up every time.does the job that i nead it to do.so impressed with honda i bought a brush cutter.

Date PurchasedMay 2015
Bruce J
Bruce JSydney, NSW

Great Build Quality

Superb build quality, so nice I hate getting it dirty lol. Aluminum Alloy deck is very nicely made, if anything over engineerd as mower is a little on the heavy side, maybe not ideal for the women. Cold starts takes 3-4 pulls Hot starts 1-2 pulls. Easy to change the oil and do general maintenace on.

Leaves grass looking very nice. People complain about chute clogging on cutting wet grass, but cutting grass when wet is silly anyway so.... Only thing i don't like is the catcher as it is not as easy to empty as a plastic catcher as grass gets stuck between metal frame and cover and you need to drag it out by hand.

Good Service from Allmowers Dee Why also.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Adoge
AdogeKellyville

Cuts the grass in no time.

So easy to use. Cuts the grass super fast and doesn't make much noise so it doesn't distract the neighbours. This lawn mower is fantastic. My kids even love using it, since it is that fun. Love the style of it too, looks modern and powerful. Would recommend it to all my friends.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

steve
steveToowoomba

10 years old this year! Still going strong.

Date PurchasedJan 2008
Greg WAU

Great mower, after a couple of fixes.

To the people having catching and blocking issues, you need to increase the engine speed (adjust governor) and fit an extra 2 blades (4 in total) I can mow Kikuyu lawn in the rain with no blockages. I was very disappointed with this mower before I fixed these 2 issues. I'm going to buy a mulching plug for my HRU19 K1 and try mulch mowing to save emptying the catcher and put nutrients back into the lawn. I'll only do this at the time of the year when there are no weeds.

Date PurchasedJune 2014
Dave
DaveBrisbane

Great mower

i cant fault this product. it cuts with breeze with short and longer grass. money well spent for the price. very easy to maintain along with starting the mower. the catcher can hold a decent amount of cuttings but you need to make sure you have all the grass clippings out the shoot.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Best I ever had

I got my Honda hru 19d from the metal recycling yard for $20 so in other words i gave it a new life did some maintaince on and it put some fresh fuel in it pulled it over and it runs like a horse even tho the blades have no lift it still cuts the grass very well i don't even have it's catcher or mulch plug

Date PurchasedNov 2017
ALANAKELLY
ALANAKELLYThe Mallee, VIC

Excellent mower

This lawn mower is amazing and has excellent cutting results. The lawn mower is light weight and very easy to maneuver for anyone. I love the safety feautures too get it to start and how easy it is to operate. It is a really great pi rchase and i recommend this product as it really works

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Lismoron
LismoronLismore

They don't make them like this anymore

This was the first new mower I have ever bought. That was 15 years ago, and its still going strong. It does an extremely good job, has a full width shoot so doesn't get clogged up with wet grass. It's nice and light so very manuverable. Another high quality Honda mower.

Date PurchasedFeb 2002

Poppy
Poppy

Perfect Mower

This is my second Honda Mower, my last Honda I had for 9.5 years and just passed it on to my son. It never missed a beat in all those years, at the start of each season I would install plug oil filter and new blades and away I go. I believe you get what you pay for and I am completely happy with the performance and longevity of the mower.I can see now why all the contractors have Honda mowers. I went back to the shop a week later and got a brushcutter as well and completely happy with it as well.if you need a new mower but one you won’t regret it.Currently on special price so that helps the decision. AAA Rating all round.

Date PurchasedSept 2017
Sinnie
SinnieDalby

Got a bargain!

I was a bit worried at first...considering I purchased mine basically new yet 2nd hand but Im so glad I did!!! Loving the hose connection so I can clean under it without the spray back I use to get from my old briggs & stratton. It has a safety thing that stops the blades when you let go too which i really like :-) cant fault it so far. Oh the adjustable handles are great for your back too.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
owen3134
owen3134Brisbane

Good mower

Bought this mower because of the Honda reputation and it did not disappoint. The mower starts easily and the first time like the advertisement. The built quality of the mower is very good and it cuts well. The only flaw is the chute is small and it tend to block up in long damp grass.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Un3arthly
Un3arthlyMelbourne

Great mower.

We bought our mower over 6 months ago and love it. We have not had any issues. It's easy to start, does a great job and easy to clean with the hose attachment. It's not too heavy for me to push (female) but also made to last. Highly recommend this lawn mower.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Nick
NickMurray Region, NSW

Great mower, powerful!

Purchased this mower 6 months back, due to having a gutless old mower and needed something with more power and easy to start. This mower has the self propulsion which is awesome especially on the hills at our property the mulching feature is just amazing, no need to empty your clippings again! Absolute joy to mow the lawn now, never thought I'd say so!

Only thing there is an issue with, if you stop it soon after you start it, it seems to flood and will take at least 4 minutes to restart, this may been just a tuning issue however, I should take it back to the dealer.

Highly recommend!

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Betty
Bettymelbourne

Great mower

I am very happy with the Honda HRU19 mower, it starts first time & is easy for a female to use, a very powerful & reliable mower especially on large lawn areas, cut at a nice even level, & I find that it is ok in the damp weather, I have had no problems at all

Date PurchasedMar 2017

EllenE
EllenEredbank, qld

Very reliable

This would have to be the best mower money can buy. I wasn't keen on handing over so much money at first, but it seems to be money well spent so far. Starts first time very easily and does a very good job. Might cost twice as much as a cheap mower but should last twice as long.

Date PurchasedApr 2017
positivespirit1
positivespirit1Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

NEVER LETS ME DOWN

We have an accommodation business so having a lawn mower which is easy to use for me (female), reliable and does a great job are imperative. My Honda always starts first time and every time. Never lets me down and our lawns are those to be proud. Bit more expensive than other brands but well worth the money.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Nalaka Kuruppu
Nalaka KuruppuGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

worth for what I spent (HONDA HRU19K1

We bought Honda HRU19K1 lawn mover from Ranch house mover shop Narre Warren, this is the best lawn mover i ever used and it’s worth for what i spent. And very professional staff and friendly service also, I highly recommend this mover to anyone.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Love this mower. It works a treat!

I got an extra two blades attached to my mower when I purchased it. It starts without much effort and every time. I love the catcher and how it operates. The mower is heavy when turning, but it cuts really well. My old mower had an adjustable choke, but this one is either on or off so when you let go of the handle it just stops. Love my Honda Mower.

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Joe
JoeGold Coast

Don't muck around with mowers, buy a Honda

I asked the Father-in-law's colleague who ownd a mower store and then sold it but still worked there, what should I buy? He said "Don't muck around with mowers, buy a Honda!" I wasn't buying off him as I was interstate but following his advice I bought the HRU 19D in Dec 2008. I run it on 98 unleaded and it starts first go whether it me or my wife starting it. For maintenance I've only had to change oil, spark plugs and blades and it's 8 years old.

I also bought a Honda trimmer (UMS425U) and I look forward to yard maintenance day as once again it is reliable and easy to start.

Date PurchasedDec 2008
Robbo
RobboQld, 4164

HONDA HONDA HONDA !!!!!

Bought a used Buffalo buck, First Honda, always wanted a redtop. Man - Easy start 1 soft pull and ALWAYS goes!!..Mulch option is FANTASTIC. I never use the catcher now!! After roughly 6 - 8 mows my yards look THICKER and GREENER. Wash port is great idea. This mower convinced me to buy a NEW UMS25 Whipper snipper that is excactly the same.. Starts first pull every time ( choke on and one squeeze of trigger) ( like starting a carburetor car.). LOVE yard work now..Prayin for rain just to use my Hondas!! HEY HONDA.. How bout a HAT or T-SHIRT to pose to my mates !!!!

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Very capable Mulching Mower

I have had Honda mowers for years and they have been fabulously reliable and work perfectly. My existing mower is 20plus years old and still starts first time. I have a large block and decided to look into mulching mowers. After much research - possibly obsessive- I settled on this one. It has not disappointed. Even the engine stop mechanism, which I was concerned about, is no issue as the mower starts first time with just a gentle half pull.
I have not used it with the catcher so don't know if it works as well in this mode.

Date PurchasedSept 2016
SwimMartin

OK - I have now used it several times with the catcher in damp conditions and it works perfectly. Fills the catcher and has not clogged once. Surprising actually. Better than I had hoped for.

Very good

James H.Honda

Thanks for the great feedback Max, we are glad to hear that the HRU19M1 has found a terrific home where she is cared for well.
-Sarah

Max

it's seems a good mower Sarah. Has been working faultless for 3~4 years now> pleasure to use and I like the red colour

Bassy
BassySydney

What a machine, I LOVE THIS MOWER!!!

Amazing mower

Perfect machine. I was gifted one 3 years ago, and have loved every cut its done for me. I found the annual servicing to be way too expensive, so read the manual and started doing my own servicing on it, one tenth the price (and much more fun). Didn't buy the mulching attachment, but collecting the leaves and rolling over them once seems to do what I need. Easy to clean, which is important to me, super easy to operate. Hopefully I'll never need to buy another mower, but I'd absolutely promote this one to anyone asking.

Hi Adam Campbell-Hand,
Thank you for taking the time to review the HRU19M1. It is terrific to hear your praise of this unit. We are glad to hear that you are loving every cut it makes! -Sarah

Geoffrey B.
Geoffrey B.asked
Buffalo Buck HRU19R1

Am using this mower for the first time What do I need to do to start the motor?

jbambury
jbambury

Turn the fuel flow on, if it isn't already on, push the throttle all the way forward as far as you can (this activates the choke) then pull the cord. Once the engine fires pull the throttle back midway and let it idle and warm up. I never turn my fuel off and the mower starts 1st pull 98% of the time and always on the 2nd pull if it didn't start 1st pull.

Alan
Alan

On my mower, turn fuel on (I also always leave mine on), hold the engine brake lever on the handle in, and pull the starter.

John Charlie A.
John Charlie A.asked
HRU19

Where do the throttle cables connect on carby

Reviewer R.
Reviewer R.

From your many posts I believe you should take it to a proper service agent.

John Charlie A.
John Charlie A.asked
HRU19

What type of spark plug & gap size

Honda HRU19

Features:

• The Honda HRU19 is a petrol push mower that’s ideal for medium sized lawns.
  • It has a GCV170 4-stroke engine, which is lightweight and easy to start.
  • The mower has a tough alloy deck, making it durable and able to withstand harsh conditions.
  • An auto choke system automatically sets the choke to provide the optimal start in all types of cutting conditions.
  • A lever to adjust the height of all 4 wheels lets you cut in a way that’s comfortable for you.
  • Debris is easily caught with the mower’s full open discharge shoot.
  • This product has a 4-year domestic warranty.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers found that the lawn mower was simple to start and started reliably - many reviewers also said that it started on the first pull every time they used it.
  • Reviewers also found that the mower was easy to manoeuvre around their lawns.
  • According to reviewers, the build quality of this mower is exceptional; many found that they had very few issues with the mower and rarely needed to service it, even after many years of use.

A point of pain:

• Some reviewers found that the chute of the mower clogged up too frequently. While some found that this only happened with damp or wet grass, there were also reviewers who noted that the mower also clogged up when they cut dry grass.
Compare all 5 Honda HRU19
CategoryPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn Mowers
Price (RRP) $939.00$899.00$889.00$899.00
Power SourcePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
FeaturesBlade Brake, Mulching Capability and Quick-Start MotorBlade Brake, Deck Clean-out Port and Mulching CapabilityBlade Brake, Deck Clean-out Port and Mulching Capability
Catcher Type RigidRigidRigidRigid
Catcher Capacity60 L60 L54 L54 L
Cutting Deck MaterialAluminium AlloyAluminium AlloyAluminium AlloyPlastic
Cutting Width470 mm482 mm470 mm470 mm
Height of Cut16 mm to 76 mm16 mm to 76 mm16 mm to 80 mm16 mm to 80 mm
Number of Blades1111
Weight34 kg34 kg31 kg
Manufacturer Warranty4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)
Engine / Motor
Engine NameHonda GCV160 4-StrokeHonda GCV160 4 StrokeHonda 170cc OHV/OHC 4-stroke EngineHonda GCV170
Engine Type4-Stroke4-Stroke4-Stroke, OHC (Overhead Cam) and OHV (Overhead Valve)4-Stroke
BrandHondaHondaHondaHonda