Honda HRU19

Honda HRU19 (page 3 of 4)

HRU19K1, HRU19M1, HRU19D, etc...
See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Honda Power Equipment? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

• Starts reliably

• Easy to manoeuvre

• Durable build quality

Cons

• Prone to clogging

• Product is used
  • Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency

SMW83
SMW83Brisbane

Amazing Honda Equipment

James H.Honda

Thank you for taking the time to review the HRU19K1. We are delighted to see your high praise of the product, and your product comparison. Happy mowing! - Sarah

Honda You Can't Beat Them, Had For 5 Years Now Awesome Product Hru19d

I hope this model lasts a long time, it seems the new Honda's don't cut, why Honda just do the maintenance and everything is good, can be heavy when loading, etc. catcher good size and fuel economy. Very good, use 98 octane fuel grade lasts longer.
Don't buy cheap rubbish from big stores not worth the dramas even wifey can start this one lol, just remember cheap expensive, expensive cheap for product like these
ps: I'm not shouting caps stuck.

James H.Honda

Thanks for the review SMARTY1968, great to hear that you have the wife on the job as well. - Sarah

Absolutely happy with this machine

I've had my Honda for a few years now and have been very happy with it. It still starts first pull everytime and the motor has enough grunt to get through thick, long turf that other mowers I use at work have no chance at pushing through.

I've never had to take it in for repair, but I do my own service at the beginning of each mowing season. I also like to run it on 98RON fuel (I think this is a good idea, especially given the Honda is a fuel miser).

When it comes time to replace my other garden machinery (which is too soon-husqvarna) I will take a closer look at the Honda gear because of my positive experience with this Honda.

James H.Honda

Great to hear your fantastic experience with your mower Nathan, thanks for taking the time to review the product. - Sarah

Jimbo
JimboPerth, WA

Very Good

Had one for 15 years, it starts easily except when I have not used it for a year or so, then the carby gums up. Easy fixed, just blow down fuel line with a compressor to clear. Does a nice neat job too.

James H.Honda

Great to hear how reliable your HRU19D is. Thank you for taking the time to review this. - Sarah

jeremy.ieraci
jeremy.ieraciDarwin, NT

Love it

Hoffman
HoffmanMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Best mower I have ever had

Easy on the fuel
First time start and not too noisy
Classy piece of equipment if I can say that about a Mower.
All good

Thanks for the review Hoffman. - Sarah

consumerx
consumerxMelbourne

Reasonably Pleased

Hi consumerx,
Thank you for taking the time to review the HRU19R1K, it is fantastic to hear that the mower is easy for you to start and cuts your grass well. Please know that we have taken all of your feedback on board. Happy mowing. - Sarah

Worth The Wait!

Took A While To Save Up For, But Was Worth The Wait.The Wife Mows When She Wants Because It Starts Every Time Without Fail,Thank You" Honda "!!!!!!

Thanks for the great feedback Karlis.M. - Sarah

Jason
Jason

Great Mower but you pay for the Honda Motor compared to others

Pretty good Motor, smooth, bit heavy but thats due to the very reliable and sturdy rustproof deck. I didn't understand it at first but once you start *bumping* into things such as trees and stumps you realise it doesn't dent and rust like other cheap ones from bunnings. Smooth, handy, don't really like the soft catcher but does its job definitely. Reliable with plenty of support and service centres. Lost one of my tightening triangle handles and easily replaced at the many honda centres around. Hope it lasts 2x as long as you do pay 2x as much as a basic lawnmower

Thank you for your review Jason, great to hear your evaluation. - Sarah

ilona29
ilona29AU

At long last!

Finally bought a lawnmower that actually starts easily for a short petite lady! Tha lady at Mower Power let me start it before I bought it, so that I would be confident when I got home with it. I have had a few mowers in my time but this Honda is by far the best! In fact it is the only one I have not had to struggle with to start. The cord is so short and when you pull it, well you hardly have to put any effort into it at all. I was so surprised, especially after the horror of my Rover. So easy to use as well. It does have a safety bar that you hold down against the handle while it operates, but I find it easy enough even with my small hands. It' s a winner for me Honda!
Soooo easy to start.

James H.Honda

Hi ilona29, thank you for taking the time to review this mower. We are glad that it works so well for you and makes mowing an easy task. - Sarah

Awesome mower, Kills any Briggs and Stratton motor

Thanks for the review David. - Sarah

David

When is the next one coming out? want to upgrade my machine when it does

James H.Honda

Hi David, to keep posted on all Honda Power Equipment News, please 'like' our Facebook page ( ). Many thanks, Sarah

SHANEO79Brisbane

Well worth spending the money on!

Adam
Adam
HughbowSydney Surrounds, NSW

Honda HRU19M1 Mulch and Catch

Hughbow

Had a few runs with it now and still very pleased. I might consider the bog bag but am quite happy with the standard catcher.

James H.Honda

Well, why mess with a good thing! :) Enjoy your mower, keep it properly serviced, and if you ever have any questions about it, be sure to contact your local authorised Honda dealer.

Easy to start, easy to use. Simple mowing experience.

Gary Nancarriow
Gary Nancarriow
ubsfhd
ubsfhd

I have had the mower since Jun 08. Previous was a Rover and it lasted 27 yrs mowing 3 residential properties each fortnight Spring to Autumn. This new mower is just great. I only use the mulch attachment if the grass is short. It is so reliable and cuts really well. While I considered many mowers, in the end it was between the Honda and Massport. Rover was more expensive when compared to the Massport. Honda won on reputation.
So So easy to start, first time every time. My Wife could never start our old mower. Big Catcher, Big fuel tank and it doesn't evaporate from week to week.
Heavy to push especially as the big catcher fills up.

Hi ubsfhd, great to hear your feedback - Sarah

gt714720
gt714720

I Have had a honda buffalo hru model lawnmower since 1991,- yes 19 years and still going strong. In that time i have only changed the blades and had it serviced twice, starts well everytime, is quiet strong and capable, easy to use. At times this mower was doing 3 family lawns every fortnight. Its a credit to its designers and makers. I recall it cost me $680 dollars way back then, yes it was alot of money but I got obvious quality. If every honda product is this good honda must be doing something right. One of the best choices/purchases ive ever made.
Easy start,solid durable performer.

Thank you for the review gt714720 - Sarah

n1cole
n1cole

Fantastic mower. In my opinion the best mower on the market for domestic use. Buy the "D" model with the mulching option, it's great for your lawn. Don't pay more than $680 if it's a cash sale. Use premium fuel I find I can tell the difference. Try and change the oil once a year. If it's in your price range just buy it, don't even look at the others. The only thing I would change is that I would like a higher handle. I'm only 5 10 and it's still a bit low for me. I look forwrd to mowing. Now I just need a 4 stroke Honda line trimmer and I'll be in gardening heaven.
Reliability, build quality, low noise, low maintenance, powerful, easy to start, powerful.
Handle is too low, can feel heavy.

Hi n1cole, Thank you for taking the time to review the HRU19D. - Sarah

cavalier
cavalier

Honda specalise in small engine technology, they have been doing this for quite awhile now, these engines are self primed, so no fuel primming, have good quality parts on the mower body, no problems with spare parts, overall a very good quality mower
Honda the best , these engines will run under water, I have had a self propelled model for 8 years, starts 1st go every time,has been left out in all sorts of weather never misses a beat, you can not go wrong with this.

Thank you for the review cavalier - Sarah

jcwbute
jcwbute
Croney

Thanks very much for your reply. This is exactly what I did because I couldn't find any other way of doing it and yes, I only used 550mls thanks to you.

I love moweing my lawn so easy to push.Just a lovely smooth machine.I wash my mower after use and spray a little wd40 after use very very happy retired gent.
Hi i have owned a HRU19D honda for 9mths now.Approx 50hrs use.Runs very well,but you must use 95 grade petrol or more to get it to run smoothly.I like the hole on the deck for a hose cleans under neath really well and fast to.Mulches very good to.Very easy to adjust height aswell
Nothing to date.

Hi bronty,fantastic to hear your thoughts - Sarah

hbao578
hbao578

I've had my honda for 11 years now and it's still going strong. I flog my mower over stones, tree roots, long grass, sticks etc and it loves it. Only had it serviced twice in that time. I have always had large yards 1000sqm + in Darwin and NSW.
Only problem I have had is the bolts on the handle come loose occasionally, the starter cord broke once and I change the air filter every 2 years.
I just clean it with the blower vac before i put it away. If you want a reliable, rugged, maintenance free mower get a Honda.
Starts first time

kglew

Thanks for the review kglew - Sarah

Atomica
Atomica

This is my first mower and after tossing up between Talon (Dont you ever buy one - reports are shocking) and decided to spend the extra $ on a mower. What got me was that the salesman stacked his reputation on 99% of all professional gardeners using Honda and you know what he's right. Driving to work everyday seeing different gardeners at it, they all use Honda !

Enjoy it you wont regret it.
Amazing easy to start. In fact every time and its easy to clean and has incredible power.
Only very minor is the steel push handle and don't like the feel of steel after an hour mowing. So if you do buy it get some foam/rubber tube from Clark Rubber and slide it on. Works a treat !

Hi Atomica, thank you for sharing your thoughts on the HRU19D - Sarah

bazeus
bazeus

i would only buy honda mowers, pay the extra money for it, you cannot regret it. i have used this mower on 1 acre block in dust rocks and left in the rain and in the sun. still works perfect
very good product never goes wrong always reliable
the warning sticker peeled off after about 2 years, thats all

Thanks for the review bazeus - Sarah

Elucubrator
ElucubratorAustralia

Hi bandinage, thank you for your review - Sarah

Geoffrey B.
Geoffrey B.asked
Buffalo Buck HRU19R1

Am using this mower for the first time What do I need to do to start the motor?

jbambury
jbambury

Turn the fuel flow on, if it isn't already on, push the throttle all the way forward as far as you can (this activates the choke) then pull the cord. Once the engine fires pull the throttle back midway and let it idle and warm up. I never turn my fuel off and the mower starts 1st pull 98% of the time and always on the 2nd pull if it didn't start 1st pull.

Alan
Alan

On my mower, turn fuel on (I also always leave mine on), hold the engine brake lever on the handle in, and pull the starter.

John Charlie A.
John Charlie A.asked
HRU19

Where do the throttle cables connect on carby

Reviewer R.
Reviewer R.

From your many posts I believe you should take it to a proper service agent.

John Charlie A.
John Charlie A.asked
HRU19

What type of spark plug & gap size

Honda HRU19

Features:

• The Honda HRU19 is a petrol push mower that’s ideal for medium sized lawns.
  • It has a GCV170 4-stroke engine, which is lightweight and easy to start.
  • The mower has a tough alloy deck, making it durable and able to withstand harsh conditions.
  • An auto choke system automatically sets the choke to provide the optimal start in all types of cutting conditions.
  • A lever to adjust the height of all 4 wheels lets you cut in a way that’s comfortable for you.
  • Debris is easily caught with the mower’s full open discharge shoot.
  • This product has a 4-year domestic warranty.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers found that the lawn mower was simple to start and started reliably - many reviewers also said that it started on the first pull every time they used it.
  • Reviewers also found that the mower was easy to manoeuvre around their lawns.
  • According to reviewers, the build quality of this mower is exceptional; many found that they had very few issues with the mower and rarely needed to service it, even after many years of use.

A point of pain:

• Some reviewers found that the chute of the mower clogged up too frequently. While some found that this only happened with damp or wet grass, there were also reviewers who noted that the mower also clogged up when they cut dry grass.
Compare all 5 Honda HRU19
CategoryPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn MowersPetrol Lawn Mowers
Price (RRP) $939.00$899.00$889.00$899.00
Power SourcePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
FeaturesBlade Brake, Mulching Capability and Quick-Start MotorBlade Brake, Deck Clean-out Port and Mulching CapabilityBlade Brake, Deck Clean-out Port and Mulching Capability
Catcher Type RigidRigidRigidRigid
Catcher Capacity60 L60 L54 L54 L
Cutting Deck MaterialAluminium AlloyAluminium AlloyAluminium AlloyPlastic
Cutting Width470 mm482 mm470 mm470 mm
Height of Cut16 mm to 76 mm16 mm to 76 mm16 mm to 80 mm16 mm to 80 mm
Number of Blades1111
Weight34 kg34 kg31 kg
Manufacturer Warranty4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)
Engine / Motor
Engine NameHonda GCV160 4-StrokeHonda GCV160 4 StrokeHonda 170cc OHV/OHC 4-stroke EngineHonda GCV170
Engine Type4-Stroke4-Stroke4-Stroke, OHC (Overhead Cam) and OHV (Overhead Valve)4-Stroke
BrandHondaHondaHondaHonda