Honda Buffalo Classic HRU196D

• Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency
Master

MasterMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Perfect lazy gardeners lawn mower

I have had this lawn mower for 10 years never had a issue with it very little maintenance. Use the mower weekly during summer and a lot less frequent during winter. I have only change the blades, pull cord, oil and cleaned out the filter every three or four years. It starts every time all the time even after long periods of not using it during winter starts first time every time. I clean my mower after every cut so I don't have any problems with the catcher blocking up the next time I use it. Just remember everything mechanical needs to be maintained there is no magic about it. Just like taking care of your lawn you need to maintain it for it to look good and serve you well.

Noise Level
Safety
Wet / Damp Grass Performance
Fuel Efficiency
Product is usedWeekly

Long lasting and easy start, as expected from Honda Mowers

Date PurchasedJul 2008

First time I have purchased a Honda Lawn mower and I am very disappointed.

Same as other reviews, the shoot continually blocks and doesn't pick up the grass clippings. I mow my lawn every 2 weeks when its is dry, and it is still a burden. It also seems to be under powered and I have returned mower to dealer in Bunbury W.A. regularly complaining of low throttle speed, as I thought that this was the reason for grass blockage, nothing has improved. Also my clothes continually get caught on the protruding throttle cable guide. Very disappointed. It is no longer a pleasure to mow my lawn.

Date PurchasedSep 2015
Petrol Lawn Mowers

Find out how Honda Buffalo Classic HRU196D compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

Sparrow

SparrowSydney Surrounds, NSW

Honda - a great machine, but!

Honda
James H.Honda
Joshy

Joshy

Can't complaint

I owned Honda HRU196D for about 7 years now and it getting the job done all the time. It hasn't given me any problems yet I think it's tough and durable mower. I changed spark plug and oil once a year and no need to take it to mower shop for services. Happy with the mower and can't complaint.

Honda
James H.Honda

Thanks Joshy for taking the time to share your experience with the HRU196D. Its is great to hear your thoughts on this model. -Sarah

Christer

ChristerAU

The chute clogs up

The mower is generally really good with a strong motor and efficient cutting. It works even in long grass. However the chute clogs up in no time and you end up tying the cover up which means you get grass cutting all over you when you mow.
After having used this mower for a long time, I realise the chute doens't clog up if the grass is properly dry but as I live in the tropics, the grass is almost always a bit wet.

Chute is a real problem. If you mowe wet grass you want another mower.

Matthew

MatthewPort Macquarie

Today I stopped buying and recommending honda push mowers

Honda Power Equipment you have lost the plot with your mowers.Useless clutch adds 10kg & complexity.The half blocked shute design is stupid.Look like they have been designed by a Uni student who lives on campus and has never mowed a lawn.Why take a great product and turn it into a useless crapbox.Went into Dealer to buy two HRU196D mowers today.Looked at them and thought it was a joke.
The new design handle mounting bracket.
Uneeded heavy clutch.A shute that I couldnt pass wind out of.

gsr

gsrSouth of Christchurch

Best. Mower. Ever.

After years of near apoplexy caused by lawn mowers designed by people who hate me, I finally caved and bought a "real" mower. My only regret is that I didn't do it a long time ago. This Honda is strong, grunty, reliable, and does a great job, especially mulching. The HRU196D starts first time, every time, even after it has sat for months with fuel in the tank and carb after I forgot to drain it before going overseas. Duh. My only criticism is that the handle locking bolts (halfway up, where you fold it) can come loose and fall out after a few hours mowing. Make sure you periodically check them.
Strong, grunty, reliable, effective.
Watch those handle bolts.

garic66

garic66

My overall opinion is a resounding, BUY IT, as a profesional lawn mower man it will last for years, the price is towards the high end but well worth it in the end.
6 months ago i purchased a lawn mowing franchise, not knowing which mower to purchase, i talked to other franchisee's, all had Honda hru196d, so on their feedback i purchased mine, the mower is easy to push, rolls straight and true, very large catcher, mulching capability, big engine grunts through almost anything, with the decompression on startup it is very easy to start every time.
the only thing i can point to in a dislike on the Honda is the locking nuts on the handle, running for 5 hours a day the locking nuts come loose, consistantly requireing tightening.

Petrol Lawn Mowers

Find out how Honda Buffalo Classic HRU196D compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

Crazyjohnasked

Buffalo Classic HRU196D

I have a problem with the handle at the back on the right hand side of the mower.The handle is badly corroded and interfere with raising and lowering the mower height.Where can I buy a replacement handle please? regards John.my email is crazyjohn42@icloud.com.Thanks again.

Paul R.
Paul R.

I suggest you talk to your local friendly Honda dealer who may be able to source a new part for you or may have old mowers around that they can scavenge parts from to repair your mower saving you more money.They get plenty of very cheap trade in mowers ,many of which are handy for spare parts.Give them a call.

Crazyjohn

Thanks for your help Paul.

Blackshapesasked

Buffalo Classic HRU196D

Anyone got a manual for the HRU196D Buffalo Classic?

jeremy.ieraci

I do, what do you want to know?

Blackshapes

Never mind Jeremy - I pulled down the carburettor and rebuilt it last night and she’s up and going again. Not my mower - drove five hours to friends property to find out that their mower wouldn’t start!

Thanks heaps for your time :)

Dot C.

Dot C.asked

Buffalo Classic HRU196D

Is there an on/off switch for petrol when you turn the mower on or off?

jeremy.ieraci

Yes. Mainly for running fuel out of the carb for storage

Anthony
Anthony

If you are referring to A manual fuel tap. Depending on the model/year. Some do and some don't.

Compare all 3 Honda HRU196