Honda HRU196

Honda HRU196 Questions & Answers

HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake), HRU196D, HRU196K1 (See All)
Brand Manager for Honda Power Equipment? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

28 questions from our users

John & Johno

Steve S.
Steve S.asked
HRU196

My HRU196 starts runs for about 20 seconds ,starts posing and running rough and then cuts out.
have taken the carry off and cleaned the main jet ect and tried again . It started straight away firs pull and then starts then it begins running rough and cuts out.Could the spark plug be breaking down ?

mike
mikeasked
HRU196

My hur 196 classic has become hard to start . I have replaced spark plug and has new air filter but still takes many pulls on choke to start - has any one got any helpful tips?

Why is hard to push

The Reviewer
The Reviewer

Why ask the same question 3 times in 10 minutes?
Suggest you get someone to contact them directly if you want to know.

Why is hard to push

Why is so hard to push

Michael-Regina S.
Michael-Regina S.asked
Buffalo Classic HRU196D

What year was this mower sold? I think it was around 2005.

I bought it second hand 2years back

David B.
David B.asked

Hi,
I'm about to remove the disc cutter with an impact driver.
Does anyone know which direction to undo the nut, Counter clockwise or clockwise?
My manual says the PTO shaft direction is counter clockwise, thanks.

Crazyjohnasked
Buffalo Classic HRU196D

I have a problem with the handle at the back on the right hand side of the mower.The handle is badly corroded and interfere with raising and lowering the mower height.Where can I buy a replacement handle please? regards John.my email is crazyjohn42@icloud.com.Thanks again.

Paul R.
Paul R.
Crazyjohn

Thanks for your help Paul.

Julian C.
Julian C.asked
HRU196

My Honda Buck HRU19 (3 years old) starts well but annoyingly surges and fades when under load. I'm guessing the exhaust filter is the problem so I'm continually blowing clear for any dust or grime. Within minutes it's back to the coughing problem.
Any suggestions?

jeremy.ieraci

Sounds like your carb needs a clean. It will be a little bit blocked, unable to get enough fuel under load. If you've cleaned the muffler it's not that

Blackshapesasked
Buffalo Classic HRU196D

Anyone got a manual for the HRU196D Buffalo Classic?

jeremy.ieraci

I do, what do you want to know?

Blackshapes

Never mind Jeremy - I pulled down the carburettor and rebuilt it last night and she’s up and going again. Not my mower - drove five hours to friends property to find out that their mower wouldn’t start!

Thanks heaps for your time :)

Roger G.
Roger G.asked

Does it self drive?

PaulB
PaulB

Hi Roger, no self drive.

Hi Roger,
No the Honda HRU196 does not have a self drive but
the Honda HRR216 does have a range of self drive mowers.

Ralf D.
Ralf D.asked
HRU196

Hi all how does one remove the old wheels on a Honda HRU196 and fit new ones ?
The axle has no thread .

Anthony

Hi, our old one had cir-clip/e-clips that held the wheels in place.

Dot C.
Dot C.asked
Buffalo Classic HRU196D

Is there an on/off switch for petrol when you turn the mower on or off?

jeremy.ieraci

Yes. Mainly for running fuel out of the carb for storage

Anthony

If you are referring to A manual fuel tap. Depending on the model/year. Some do and some don't.

jeremy.ieraciasked
HRU196

What's the difference between M1 and M2, is M1 the half chute version pre M2?

WryCuda
WryCudaasked
Buffalo Classic HRU196D

Bought this mower from a friend about 3 years ago; he couldn't remember how long he'd had it. Anyone know how old it's likely to be?

Mower needed a service when I took it home: Blocked air filter, worn blades, black oil, spark plug only finger tight, dirty carb.

Has been going well and I've only had to service the recoil starter since the initial intensive care. Recoil interior was dirty, but easy enough to clean. I think that I might need a new cord and spring some day. Parts available or should I buy a complete recoil assembly?

-Bob

Barrie T
Barrie Tasked
Buffalo Classic HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake)

I have recently purchased a HRU196M1 (blade brake)mulch & cut mower it has the standard 2 blades and blade plate with multiple holes in it ,i would like to put 4 blades on it .Do i have to replace the plate & blades(4 set) or just the blades & will the motor handle it in its standard tune.?thanks in advance.

Groovy
Groovy

Mine has 4 blades. Am quite confident that you will be able to simply add another 2 blades to the existing holes in the plate that is currently on there. Cheers.

Dan
Dan

My mower guy put extra blades on. Mower still sucks with small chute but is improved

Paul
Paulasked
HRU196

My HRU196M1 sometime doesn't stop when I push the throttle lever all the way to the top STOP position. When this happens, I have to force the lever to the right whilst pushing up the lever. Can you let me know what is the problem and how can I fix this myself?
Paul

happy campers
happy campers

Mine did the same, adjust your throttle cable or might just need a spray with some lube.

Stanley P
Stanley P
ali mohammadi
ali mohammadiasked
Buffalo Classic HRU196D

I have bought this mower almost 5 months ago and used a few times but now I can't start this. I have checked every thing I know but still can't figure it out. Can you please suggest any thing to start it? Thanks

Mr T
Mr T

If its only 5 months old id send it back to the supplier under warranty, the engine generally speaking is a brilliant little engine and should give you years without any issues as long as you have it serviced regularly

spondoola
spondoolaasked
Buffalo Classic HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake)

I bought a Honda HRU-196-M1 Blade Break Mulching Contractor's mower. I am a woman and it is heavy.
But it is the starter cord that has become very tight, so much so, that I'm scared to pull it with any more force in case it does some damage. The clogging up of the chute doesn't bother me much as I'm not mowing for a living, but I am worried about this starter cord.

What could be causing is to become so tight?

Hi Spondoola,
The only time that I have seen this is when the blade brake hasn't been disengaged. Check that when you are pushing the level in that it is actually pulling the cable on the left hand of the mower.

Honda HRU196