Honda HRU196

• Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency
Master

MasterMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Perfect lazy gardeners lawn mower

I have had this lawn mower for 10 years never had a issue with it very little maintenance. Use the mower weekly during summer and a lot less frequent during winter. I have only change the blades, pull cord, oil and cleaned out the filter every three or four years. It starts every time all the time even after long periods of not using it during winter starts first time every time. I clean my mower after every cut so I don't have any problems with the catcher blocking up the next time I use it. Just remember everything mechanical needs to be maintained there is no magic about it. Just like taking care of your lawn you need to maintain it for it to look good and serve you well.

Mark W.

Mark W.Hunter Region, NSW

Love this thing

Purchased in August 2020 for A$1,300.00.

Steph C

Steph CAU

Worst mower

Absolute rubbish. Bought this one online and had it delivered. Too heavy!
Automatic choke sticks and it won’t start after using for a while. Have to remove the filter and use a screwdriver to poke in it to open it and get it going again.
Can’t adjust the throttle.

Petrol Lawn Mowers

Find out how Honda HRU196 compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

Paul R.Central, SA

As heavy as a Sherman tank

Purchased in March 2020 for A$1,050.00.

John Geo

John GeoGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Piece of overweight Junk

Purchased in January 2020 for A$999.00.

PaulB

PaulBNew South Wales

Great engine, reasonable product with the right blades.

Following my purchase 2 years ago I was initially disappointed with the small chute and associated clogging when mowing damp grass. I opted for the Honda as I wanted power to do just that. After working with the agent we fitted the Honda with the two standard mulch blades and two additional high lift blades which made a world of difference. We made a slight rpm increase also. Overall I'm very happy with how it performs and am enjoying my mowing. The weight creating significant tracks when mowing damp ground would be my only negative feedback. Largely a great engine and the blade break system does work well for me having to regularly negotiate obstacles.

Purchased in May 2018 for A$1,100.00.

Anthony

AnthonySouth East Queensland, QLD

Mowing with ease

This mower was purchased as an additional mower as we needed to try and transport our original mower to to in-laws house every week and this was getting to be a problem. We have had it over 18 months now and it has not missed a beat. Starts most times first pull if not on the second. The blade brake is a great safety feature. servicing has not been a problem. We change the Air Filter regularly as the area mowed is usually quit dusty. We only fill it up at the start of the day as It seems to run forever on a tank of fuel.. The only down side is the catcher is a bit difficult to empty when it is full to the max. Saying that it picks up every blade of grass. In the wet it it probably picks up 95% of what is cut.

Purchased in February 2018 at Brisbane Mower Centre.

David B.

David B.asked

HRU196

Hi,
I'm about to remove the disc cutter with an impact driver.
Does anyone know which direction to undo the nut, Counter clockwise or clockwise?
My manual says the PTO shaft direction is counter clockwise, thanks.

Crazyjohnasked

Buffalo Classic HRU196D

I have a problem with the handle at the back on the right hand side of the mower.The handle is badly corroded and interfere with raising and lowering the mower height.Where can I buy a replacement handle please? regards John.my email is crazyjohn42@icloud.com.Thanks again.

Paul R.

I suggest you talk to your local friendly Honda dealer who may be able to source a new part for you or may have old mowers around that they can scavenge parts from to repair your mower saving you more money.They get plenty of very cheap trade in mowers ,many of which are handy for spare parts.Give them a call.

Crazyjohn

Thanks for your help Paul.

Julian C.

Julian C.asked

HRU196

My Honda Buck HRU19 (3 years old) starts well but annoyingly surges and fades when under load. I'm guessing the exhaust filter is the problem so I'm continually blowing clear for any dust or grime. Within minutes it's back to the coughing problem.
Any suggestions?

jeremy.ieraci
jeremy.ieraci

Sounds like your carb needs a clean. It will be a little bit blocked, unable to get enough fuel under load. If you've cleaned the muffler it's not that

Compare all 3 Honda HRU196
Height of Cut16 mm to 76 mm
Weight44 kg
Engine / Motor
Engine NameHonda GCV160 OHV Iron Bore
Engine TypeOHV (Overhead Valve)
BrandHonda