Honda HRU196

Honda HRU196 (page 4 of 6)

HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake), HRU196D, HRU196K1

• Fuel Efficiency

michael

michaelMelbourne

Piece of Rubbish!

I had a victa tornado which cut beautifully, decided to go with a "professional mower" when it was time for a new mower, so I brought a hru196 about 12 months ago.... worst purchase in my life, totally regret it. Its too heavy, clogs up all the time, I don't a partially full bag before it clogs up!!!! And it leaves "dags" of cut grass all over the lawn, which is pathetic and embarressing when your being paid to mow someone's lawn...first and last honda, I'll ever "beep" buy!!!! No joy from the dealer either, they just look at me like I'm doing something wrong!!!! Grrrrr!!!!

Garie

GarieIllawarra, NSW

Stung twice

Why do we have to pay for the bigger bag? it is a problem with the mower so why dont honda pay for it?.I have had a HRU196m1 for a week and im not happy with it.I mowed my back lawn(18x14 metres) the shute blocked 3 times and the grass was only slightly damp.My 25 yr old victa never blocked up.I think honda has a hide to tell us to buy a so called remedy for a design problem they know about .

Christer

ChristerAU

The chute clogs up

The mower is generally really good with a strong motor and efficient cutting. It works even in long grass. However the chute clogs up in no time and you end up tying the cover up which means you get grass cutting all over you when you mow.
After having used this mower for a long time, I realise the chute doens't clog up if the grass is properly dry but as I live in the tropics, the grass is almost always a bit wet.

Chute is a real problem. If you mowe wet grass you want another mower.

Very unhappy

This mower clogs up all the time. Had to use the cheap back up mower to do the lawns properly and it did not clog at all. Honda might think that they are good coming up with these new ideas but having less than half of the back of the mower to eject the grass is just stupid!! Not happy!!
Motor
Clogs with grass all the time.

Colin Kay

Colin KaySydney

What I needed

Spent a long time thinking if I should spend the money on this lawn mower. Just after my third cut I thought to myself, should've been bought a long time ago.
It has a quiete engine and runs smooth. Good on fuel too.
Had this for three months now and still starts first time. Well see after a year.
Makes my job easier and better
Too too heavy

Fantastic to hear your feedback Colin Kay. - Sarah

Phil390Sydney

It has to be the best mower around

Phil390

Update: After a few years, the height adjustment became poor and uneven due to worn bushes and a rear axle that had failed on the right wheel. Replaced all and it is now good as new.

Trok Ground Care ,New Ze

Trok Ground Care ,New ZeHamilton, New Zealand.

Wanted ,cant buy this model in New Zealand any more

In the job of lawn care, I have found this model great, I would like to buy 2 more, but the dealers tell me they don't sell them any more ,so I brought a new hru196,and found that it is to heavy ,doesn't like to pick up wet grass , I have tried different blades ,people in the lawn care game want then they are like gold, Time is money and doing a good job , come on Honda sell me 2 of them.
Light weight ,catch in any weather, great engine,
the only thing i could say is the handle for gound adjustment, make stronger

Mark Johnson

Mark JohnsonGeraldton , W.A.

Happy Honda !

I have two Honda mowers and they are the best I have them regularly serviced. If you want a machine that the professionals use and will do the job every time then get a Honda. They can be expensive to buy however you get what you pay for and they are worth it in the long run.
Quality , reliability and durability.
none to mention.

Matthew

MatthewPort Macquarie

Today I stopped buying and recommending honda push mowers

Honda Power Equipment you have lost the plot with your mowers.Useless clutch adds 10kg & complexity.The half blocked shute design is stupid.Look like they have been designed by a Uni student who lives on campus and has never mowed a lawn.Why take a great product and turn it into a useless crapbox.Went into Dealer to buy two HRU196D mowers today.Looked at them and thought it was a joke.
The new design handle mounting bracket.
Uneeded heavy clutch.A shute that I couldnt pass wind out of.

Worst Mower Ever

jack
jack
Anthony
Anthony

Yeah right Jack. Nice to hear from honda at last.

Rohan

RohanBrisbane

Happy overall.

gardener george

gardener georgeSouth East Queensland, QLD

good mower for the dry, if grass isn't too long

Craigwestern australia

A very poor mower

This mower continually blocks up due to the small shute. The blade brake is a joke. Why does the public have to allow for idiots. Mowers have been around along time without the need of a blade brake. Honda should go back to the KISS method and once again produce a good mower
Reliable engine. Solid base(weight a slight issue)
Does not catch grass as shute blocks far to easily.

Craig

Just so I am not a whinging whinger, the Honda range of trimmers(whipper snippers) and blowers are bullet proof in my opinion. I wouldnt use anything else. I hope they get the mower right.

thorough lawncare

thorough lawncareqld, 4700

Waste of money

James H.Honda

this sounds great, rrp is just $80, does this open the entire back up like the old models before mulching?. or does it still have a chute but larger

Honda gone backwards

I've been a lawn mower man for 30 years,always loyal to honda, latest edition from honda is very dissapointing. the smaller chute clogs up far to easy, when the going got tough honda used to get going, now its useless. looks like the last honda i'll buy unless they widen chute!!!!
height lever.
cuoldn't catch a cold.

James
James

Artie K

Artie KSydney, NSW

Honda Mower - HRU-196M1 - Well & truly met my high expectations!

the best by far

i have been commercial mowie 18 years and i can tell u Honda easily the best i tell u why, ive had the same two Honda's 15 years and im not pulling your leg, been regularly serviced, they are tough machines, in this time i bought other brands and they fall apart, do yourself a favour do not buy anything else
if you regular service them and look after them they will go on forever.
cuts grass very clean, never drops leaves
cant think of one

wise awl
wise awl

agree, shame the new model hru196 is not as good as this model

Luke
Luke

Hi honda i can tell you something right now maybe widen the chute i think thats the only thing wrong

Superb mower that just purrs along and never misses a beat, the mulching function really works and is no gimmick. I never have had the need to use the catcher so I cant comment on it.
Love it, powerful quiet and economical. This mower has its work cut out, we live on 1.5 acres, and obviously it's not all lawn. However there is still the equivalent of 4-5 smaller blocks. The Honda powers thru the job without any hint of giving up. The finish is superb, any better than a professional ride on mower man has achieved. If you want a serious mower buy this Honda....
None that i have found yet.

gsr

gsrSouth of Christchurch

Best. Mower. Ever.

After years of near apoplexy caused by lawn mowers designed by people who hate me, I finally caved and bought a "real" mower. My only regret is that I didn't do it a long time ago. This Honda is strong, grunty, reliable, and does a great job, especially mulching. The HRU196D starts first time, every time, even after it has sat for months with fuel in the tank and carb after I forgot to drain it before going overseas. Duh. My only criticism is that the handle locking bolts (halfway up, where you fold it) can come loose and fall out after a few hours mowing. Make sure you periodically check them.
Strong, grunty, reliable, effective.
Watch those handle bolts.

markden

markdenSydney, NSW

MultiGazman
MultiGazman

Excellent, I decent review at last,These are the things you need to know when buying a machine of any type.Thanks for the through review, Im off to buy a new honda mower.