Honda HRU196

• Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency

John

John

Great mower, however the catcher keeps falling off.

Steph C

Steph CAU

Worst mower

Absolute rubbish. Bought this one online and had it delivered. Too heavy!
Automatic choke sticks and it won’t start after using for a while. Have to remove the filter and use a screwdriver to poke in it to open it and get it going again.
Can’t adjust the throttle.

Azat

AzatGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Not so easy to start

I find it harder to start than our last lawnmower, l can start it but need to position it so l don’t need to hold and pull at the same time.
I’m a small female don’t think men would have my problems.
But still needs more than one pull to start, l find it temperamental.

Very happy with its ability to catch the grass.
I made a thingy magigy to hold the bar up so it doesn’t turn the motor off every time l can’t hold it down.
Might be a safety feature but very annoying.
The large nut thing to stop the handle folding keeps coming undone.

Not sure if l would buy it again, it came recommend by the lawn mowing man an l trusted his judgment.

Purchased in January 2018 at Kingston mowers for $1,055.00.

Paul R.

Paul R.Central, SA

As heavy as a Sherman tank

Purchased in March 2020 for $1,050.00.

John Geo

John GeoGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Piece of overweight Junk

Purchased in January 2020 for $999.00.

PaulB

PaulBNew South Wales

Great engine, reasonable product with the right blades.

Following my purchase 2 years ago I was initially disappointed with the small chute and associated clogging when mowing damp grass. I opted for the Honda as I wanted power to do just that. After working with the agent we fitted the Honda with the two standard mulch blades and two additional high lift blades which made a world of difference. We made a slight rpm increase also. Overall I'm very happy with how it performs and am enjoying my mowing. The weight creating significant tracks when mowing damp ground would be my only negative feedback. Largely a great engine and the blade break system does work well for me having to regularly negotiate obstacles.

Purchased in May 2018 for $1,100.00.

jeremy.ieraci

jeremy.ieraciDarwin, NT

Tough

Purchased in November 2019 at All Mower Spares for $1,200.00.

Paul D

Paul DBrisbane

Bad mower. Doesn't cut. Doesn't catch.

Worst decision in a long time. Thought I'd buy a premium mower at more than $1100. Only thing good is that it starts easy. I upgraded to 4 blades from 2 and still does not pick up the grass, just blocks the tiny shut for anything more than the smallest cut..... even in the dry! Very heavy for a push mower. I am so frustrated with the mower that I now mow/mulch and then hand rake up the grass!!!! I was told the motor is commercial grade, maybe it will last, however, it is not powerful and when the grass is thick the safety blade brake starts to slip!!! Once it has started to slip it generates heat from the friction and slips even more!

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Deano

Deano

It's a good mower

Good mower to be honest.
Mines been back under warranty a few times for the governor shaft leaking oil out around the shaft. Know out of warranty and it's still leaking and they don't want to know about it. Disappointed to be honest.
Other than that hasn't let me down..

Date PurchasedJan 2014

kgn

kgnMelbourne

Solid mower - should give a long life based on experience with the original still going strong

Date PurchasedNov 2016

I regret my purchase decision

This is my third Honda lawnmower.
Every mower has got progressively worse.
Current one won't start and has always been difficult to start. If you are lucky, you may be able to find a Honda HRU150 in good condition. This is the one that Honda established its reputation on and has not been able to produce one as user friendly or reliable since.

Date PurchasedMar 2014

First time I have purchased a Honda Lawn mower and I am very disappointed.

Same as other reviews, the shoot continually blocks and doesn't pick up the grass clippings. I mow my lawn every 2 weeks when its is dry, and it is still a burden. It also seems to be under powered and I have returned mower to dealer in Bunbury W.A. regularly complaining of low throttle speed, as I thought that this was the reason for grass blockage, nothing has improved. Also my clothes continually get caught on the protruding throttle cable guide. Very disappointed. It is no longer a pleasure to mow my lawn.

Date PurchasedSept 2015
Juzz

JuzzAU

Terrible product - with narrow Shute !

Date PurchasedJune 2015

Check your blades

We were about to sell our supposed great Honda top of the range mower cause it wouldn't pick up grass. Even dry grass. But I got new NON MULCH BLADES & yeah it now catches grass & even filled the catcher. Never has this happen before. Even from brand new. The dealer fitted new blades but they were mulching blades. Now fitted with low & high throw blades it works a treat. Finally a nice looking lawn

Date PurchasedApr 2015
Dan

DanSouth East Queensland, QLD

Avoid Honda Mowers At All Costs

Date PurchasedAug 2013

RenegadeLC

RenegadeLCAU

Preformed better than expected

Mulching is amazing and cuts like a dream Whisper quite with punch. Compared to my old mower this makes me moist. I will have intimate dreams of this mower tonight. I'm going to file for divorce and marry my lawn mower. My heart lies deep with this one. XOXO gossip gorl
Update!! Height adjustment is flimsy and hard to manage. Poor design and enginge cut off is a pain i use a sttap to keep engine running. Other than that. Good machine

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Garie

GarieIllawarra, NSW

1st and only honda

Sara what good is it reporting our problems,we are still stuck with a bad mower.i am glad i kept my old victa when grass is damp out it comes and does the job so easy,$1000 worth of mower stays in the shed Great ad for honda.Plus mower is way way to heavy.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

narrow shute

I hate the narrow chute and bag catcher...cloggs up all the time and PVC catcher is mutch better...the older buffalo 196 were a magnificent machine with the wide chute and PVC catcher..never buying a narrow chute mower again ever...go back to the old style mower...a lot of mowing contractors agree with me..

Date PurchasedFeb 2014
Mark Camilleri

Mark CamilleriSydney, Nsw, 2145

Terrible.

Won't get that time back
What a waste I had to sell it for half the price
It might be an ok mower in the desert but I would highly advice not to purchase any Honda with the back shoot half closed up.why they still building that way.
It gets blocked even if the grass is the slightest bit moist.so you have to mulch but that still stalls
The mower after 15 steps.
It is well built great handles good wheels it just is no good for Sydney conditions
Very heavy

Date PurchasedOct 2014
Frank

FrankPerth, WA

Very disappointing lawnmower for the cost

Date PurchasedJuly 2016