Honda HRU196

• Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency

John

John

Great mower, however the catcher keeps falling off.

Azat

AzatGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Not so easy to start

I find it harder to start than our last lawnmower, l can start it but need to position it so l don’t need to hold and pull at the same time.
I’m a small female don’t think men would have my problems.
But still needs more than one pull to start, l find it temperamental.

Very happy with its ability to catch the grass.
I made a thingy magigy to hold the bar up so it doesn’t turn the motor off every time l can’t hold it down.
Might be a safety feature but very annoying.
The large nut thing to stop the handle folding keeps coming undone.

Not sure if l would buy it again, it came recommend by the lawn mowing man an l trusted his judgment.

Purchased in January 2018 at Kingston mowers for $1,055.00.

Paul R.

Paul R.Central, SA

As heavy as a Sherman tank

Purchased in March 2020 for $1,050.00.

PaulB

PaulBNew South Wales

Great engine, reasonable product with the right blades.

Following my purchase 2 years ago I was initially disappointed with the small chute and associated clogging when mowing damp grass. I opted for the Honda as I wanted power to do just that. After working with the agent we fitted the Honda with the two standard mulch blades and two additional high lift blades which made a world of difference. We made a slight rpm increase also. Overall I'm very happy with how it performs and am enjoying my mowing. The weight creating significant tracks when mowing damp ground would be my only negative feedback. Largely a great engine and the blade break system does work well for me having to regularly negotiate obstacles.

Purchased in May 2018 for $1,100.00.

jeremy.ieraci

jeremy.ieraciDarwin, NT

Tough

Purchased in November 2019 at All Mower Spares for $1,200.00.

Mower is good, catcher is crap.

The catcher is bad enough to put you into a fit of rage. Won't throw all the way to the back, only ever half fills, even after cleaning the screen.
Love the mower, hate the catcher. My advice would be to spend the extra for the next model, or look at another brand.

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Deano

Deano

It's a good mower

Good mower to be honest.
Mines been back under warranty a few times for the governor shaft leaking oil out around the shaft. Know out of warranty and it's still leaking and they don't want to know about it. Disappointed to be honest.
Other than that hasn't let me down..

Date PurchasedJan 2014
kgn

kgnMelbourne

Solid mower - should give a long life based on experience with the original still going strong

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Brad

BradNewcastle

High Quality Engine. Superb finish to lawn, when it works.

Date PurchasedJuly 2016

Check your blades

We were about to sell our supposed great Honda top of the range mower cause it wouldn't pick up grass. Even dry grass. But I got new NON MULCH BLADES & yeah it now catches grass & even filled the catcher. Never has this happen before. Even from brand new. The dealer fitted new blades but they were mulching blades. Now fitted with low & high throw blades it works a treat. Finally a nice looking lawn

Date PurchasedApr 2015
RenegadeLC

RenegadeLCAU

Preformed better than expected

Mulching is amazing and cuts like a dream Whisper quite with punch. Compared to my old mower this makes me moist. I will have intimate dreams of this mower tonight. I'm going to file for divorce and marry my lawn mower. My heart lies deep with this one. XOXO gossip gorl
Update!! Height adjustment is flimsy and hard to manage. Poor design and enginge cut off is a pain i use a sttap to keep engine running. Other than that. Good machine

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Garie

GarieIllawarra, NSW

1st and only honda

Sara what good is it reporting our problems,we are still stuck with a bad mower.i am glad i kept my old victa when grass is damp out it comes and does the job so easy,$1000 worth of mower stays in the shed Great ad for honda.Plus mower is way way to heavy.

Date PurchasedMar 2015
Mark Camilleri

Mark CamilleriSydney, Nsw, 2145

Terrible.

Won't get that time back
What a waste I had to sell it for half the price
It might be an ok mower in the desert but I would highly advice not to purchase any Honda with the back shoot half closed up.why they still building that way.
It gets blocked even if the grass is the slightest bit moist.so you have to mulch but that still stalls
The mower after 15 steps.
It is well built great handles good wheels it just is no good for Sydney conditions
Very heavy

Date PurchasedOct 2014
Frank

FrankPerth, WA

Very disappointing lawnmower for the cost

Date PurchasedJuly 2016
JMJ

JMJMaryborough

Should be replaced at no charge per ACCC

Honda know there's a problem with the small chute that is why they bought out a conversion kit for it I sold Honda mowers for many years and have spoken to the Honda rep and he informed me there was a kit made for this mower regarding this problem engine great design shocking

Date PurchasedApr 2015

Self Funded Retiree

Self Funded RetireeCentral Queensland, QLD

HRU196M1 Heritage

James H.Honda

Two years on what do I think?
My original comments remain extant. However, since buying a new house on a hill I've also discovered just how heavy the mow is to push on slight gradients.

Four years on. Worst mower ever. Sorry Honda you will not get anymore business from me.

SPJ

SPJCairns

Design flaws

James H.Honda

Thanks for providing your thoughts SPJ. Please know I have passed your feedback onto the appropriate parties -Sarah

mowergirlsydney

im getting frustrated using my mower

My mower is just over a year old, so relatively new. It constantly stops while i mow, this started a few months ago. I called the shop where i bought it, told them what happened. They told me to bring it in, i cannot as its too heavy. They told me it might be water in the fuel, so i removed all the fuel, bought new fuel from a different station, i changed the fuel a couple of times but same thing happens and still happening. Its so frustrating my old victa was so reliable but it fell apart, oh! How i miss it. I bought the Honda as i thought i was buying quality, but i feel ripped off. Did i buy a lemon? Does anybody else have this problem?

James H.Honda

Hi Mowergirl, Sounds like you have an isolated issue. Could you please message us your suburb/ postcode and we will arrange to have your unit inspected?
-Sarah

mowergirl

All fixed now. My friend drained fuel through carburator, working fine now.

Tinboy

TinboyMelbourne

Over engineered quality mower just not executed correctly

James H.Honda

Hi Tinboy, Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. Please know that this has been passed on. - Sarah

Sparrow

SparrowSydney Surrounds, NSW

Honda - a great machine, but!