Honda HRU196

• Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency
John

John

Great mower, however the catcher keeps falling off.

Fuel Efficiency
Azat

AzatGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Not so easy to start

I find it harder to start than our last lawnmower, l can start it but need to position it so l don’t need to hold and pull at the same time.
I’m a small female don’t think men would have my problems.
But still needs more than one pull to start, l find it temperamental.

Very happy with its ability to catch the grass.
I made a thingy magigy to hold the bar up so it doesn’t turn the motor off every time l can’t hold it down.
Might be a safety feature but very annoying.
The large nut thing to stop the handle folding keeps coming undone.

Not sure if l would buy it again, it came recommend by the lawn mowing man an l trusted his judgment.

Purchased in January 2018 at Kingston mowers for A$1,055.00.

Product is usedOccasionally

Paul R.Central, SA

As heavy as a Sherman tank

Purchased in March 2020 for A$1,050.00.

Fuel Efficiency
Product is usedWeekly
Petrol Lawn Mowers

Find out how Honda HRU196 compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

PaulB

PaulBNew South Wales

Great engine, reasonable product with the right blades.

Following my purchase 2 years ago I was initially disappointed with the small chute and associated clogging when mowing damp grass. I opted for the Honda as I wanted power to do just that. After working with the agent we fitted the Honda with the two standard mulch blades and two additional high lift blades which made a world of difference. We made a slight rpm increase also. Overall I'm very happy with how it performs and am enjoying my mowing. The weight creating significant tracks when mowing damp ground would be my only negative feedback. Largely a great engine and the blade break system does work well for me having to regularly negotiate obstacles.

Purchased in May 2018 for A$1,100.00.

Product is usedWeekly
Deano

Deano

It's a good mower

Good mower to be honest.
Mines been back under warranty a few times for the governor shaft leaking oil out around the shaft. Know out of warranty and it's still leaking and they don't want to know about it. Disappointed to be honest.
Other than that hasn't let me down..

Date PurchasedJan 2014
kgn

kgnMelbourne

Solid mower - should give a long life based on experience with the original still going strong

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Check your blades

We were about to sell our supposed great Honda top of the range mower cause it wouldn't pick up grass. Even dry grass. But I got new NON MULCH BLADES & yeah it now catches grass & even filled the catcher. Never has this happen before. Even from brand new. The dealer fitted new blades but they were mulching blades. Now fitted with low & high throw blades it works a treat. Finally a nice looking lawn

Date PurchasedApr 2015
RenegadeLC

RenegadeLCAU

Preformed better than expected

Mulching is amazing and cuts like a dream Whisper quite with punch. Compared to my old mower this makes me moist. I will have intimate dreams of this mower tonight. I'm going to file for divorce and marry my lawn mower. My heart lies deep with this one. XOXO gossip gorl
Update!! Height adjustment is flimsy and hard to manage. Poor design and enginge cut off is a pain i use a sttap to keep engine running. Other than that. Good machine

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Sparrow

SparrowSydney Surrounds, NSW

Honda - a great machine, but!

Honda
James H.Honda
Petrol Lawn Mowers

Find out how Honda HRU196 compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

michael

michaelMelbourne

Piece of Rubbish!

I had a victa tornado which cut beautifully, decided to go with a "professional mower" when it was time for a new mower, so I brought a hru196 about 12 months ago.... worst purchase in my life, totally regret it. Its too heavy, clogs up all the time, I don't a partially full bag before it clogs up!!!! And it leaves "dags" of cut grass all over the lawn, which is pathetic and embarressing when your being paid to mow someone's lawn...first and last honda, I'll ever "beep" buy!!!! No joy from the dealer either, they just look at me like I'm doing something wrong!!!! Grrrrr!!!!

Phil390Sydney

It has to be the best mower around

Phil390

Update: After a few years, the height adjustment became poor and uneven due to worn bushes and a rear axle that had failed on the right wheel. Replaced all and it is now good as new.

Rohan

RohanBrisbane

Happy overall.

Honda
James H.Honda
lgordon9

lgordon9VIC, 3196

very reliable,Honda reputation

Easy to start,but it gets heavy to push around if you have a large area.especially as the catcher fills.
Stalls easily with thick cooch grass unless you have the revs really high. Mulch function works very well.Probably built better to last than what's on offer these days
Easy start and well built
Can get heavy to push around and stalls easily in thick grass