Honda HRU196

• Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency
John

John

Great mower, however the catcher keeps falling off.

Azat

AzatGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Not so easy to start

I find it harder to start than our last lawnmower, l can start it but need to position it so l don’t need to hold and pull at the same time.
I’m a small female don’t think men would have my problems.
But still needs more than one pull to start, l find it temperamental.

Very happy with its ability to catch the grass.
I made a thingy magigy to hold the bar up so it doesn’t turn the motor off every time l can’t hold it down.
Might be a safety feature but very annoying.
The large nut thing to stop the handle folding keeps coming undone.

Not sure if l would buy it again, it came recommend by the lawn mowing man an l trusted his judgment.

Purchased in January 2018 at Kingston mowers for $1,055.00.

Paul R.

Paul R.Central, SA

As heavy as a Sherman tank

Purchased in March 2020 for $1,050.00.

PaulB

PaulBNew South Wales

Great engine, reasonable product with the right blades.

Following my purchase 2 years ago I was initially disappointed with the small chute and associated clogging when mowing damp grass. I opted for the Honda as I wanted power to do just that. After working with the agent we fitted the Honda with the two standard mulch blades and two additional high lift blades which made a world of difference. We made a slight rpm increase also. Overall I'm very happy with how it performs and am enjoying my mowing. The weight creating significant tracks when mowing damp ground would be my only negative feedback. Largely a great engine and the blade break system does work well for me having to regularly negotiate obstacles.

Purchased in May 2018 for $1,100.00.

Mower is good, catcher is crap.

The catcher is bad enough to put you into a fit of rage. Won't throw all the way to the back, only ever half fills, even after cleaning the screen.
Love the mower, hate the catcher. My advice would be to spend the extra for the next model, or look at another brand.

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Deano

Deano

It's a good mower

Good mower to be honest.
Mines been back under warranty a few times for the governor shaft leaking oil out around the shaft. Know out of warranty and it's still leaking and they don't want to know about it. Disappointed to be honest.
Other than that hasn't let me down..

Date PurchasedJan 2014
kgn

kgnMelbourne

Solid mower - should give a long life based on experience with the original still going strong

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Brad

BradNewcastle

High Quality Engine. Superb finish to lawn, when it works.

Date PurchasedJuly 2016

Check your blades

We were about to sell our supposed great Honda top of the range mower cause it wouldn't pick up grass. Even dry grass. But I got new NON MULCH BLADES & yeah it now catches grass & even filled the catcher. Never has this happen before. Even from brand new. The dealer fitted new blades but they were mulching blades. Now fitted with low & high throw blades it works a treat. Finally a nice looking lawn

Date PurchasedApr 2015

RenegadeLC

RenegadeLCAU

Preformed better than expected

Mulching is amazing and cuts like a dream Whisper quite with punch. Compared to my old mower this makes me moist. I will have intimate dreams of this mower tonight. I'm going to file for divorce and marry my lawn mower. My heart lies deep with this one. XOXO gossip gorl
Update!! Height adjustment is flimsy and hard to manage. Poor design and enginge cut off is a pain i use a sttap to keep engine running. Other than that. Good machine

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Self Funded RetireeCentral Queensland, QLD

HRU196M1 Heritage

James H.Honda

Two years on what do I think?
My original comments remain extant. However, since buying a new house on a hill I've also discovered just how heavy the mow is to push on slight gradients.

Self Funded Retiree

Four years on. Worst mower ever. Sorry Honda you will not get anymore business from me.

SPJ

SPJCairns

Design flaws

James H.Honda

Thanks for providing your thoughts SPJ. Please know I have passed your feedback onto the appropriate parties -Sarah

Sparrow

SparrowSydney Surrounds, NSW

Honda - a great machine, but!

CamPooleGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Does the job admirably. Sometimes.

Lucky

LuckyDevonport

waste of money

Im a commercial lawn mower. The shoot is just to narrow ,I have the newer model with a "slightly" wider opening and a silly metal lip on the catcher- gets in the way when u try to empty into bags. The new mulcher plug that is available is terrible to put in properly and very hard to remove.

It sounds like the older version were a great unit and the R & D guys screwed the mower. However i do like the blade brake even if i had to cable tie the yellow button down on the top of the handle. (that button is a silly idea)

michael

michaelMelbourne

Piece of Rubbish!

I had a victa tornado which cut beautifully, decided to go with a "professional mower" when it was time for a new mower, so I brought a hru196 about 12 months ago.... worst purchase in my life, totally regret it. Its too heavy, clogs up all the time, I don't a partially full bag before it clogs up!!!! And it leaves "dags" of cut grass all over the lawn, which is pathetic and embarressing when your being paid to mow someone's lawn...first and last honda, I'll ever "beep" buy!!!! No joy from the dealer either, they just look at me like I'm doing something wrong!!!! Grrrrr!!!!

Christer

ChristerAU

The chute clogs up

The mower is generally really good with a strong motor and efficient cutting. It works even in long grass. However the chute clogs up in no time and you end up tying the cover up which means you get grass cutting all over you when you mow.
After having used this mower for a long time, I realise the chute doens't clog up if the grass is properly dry but as I live in the tropics, the grass is almost always a bit wet.

Chute is a real problem. If you mowe wet grass you want another mower.

Phil390Sydney

It has to be the best mower around

Phil390

Update: After a few years, the height adjustment became poor and uneven due to worn bushes and a rear axle that had failed on the right wheel. Replaced all and it is now good as new.

Rohan

RohanBrisbane

Happy overall.

gardener george

gardener georgeSouth East Queensland, QLD

good mower for the dry, if grass isn't too long