Honda HRU196

• Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency
Master

MasterMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Perfect lazy gardeners lawn mower

I have had this lawn mower for 10 years never had a issue with it very little maintenance. Use the mower weekly during summer and a lot less frequent during winter. I have only change the blades, pull cord, oil and cleaned out the filter every three or four years. It starts every time all the time even after long periods of not using it during winter starts first time every time. I clean my mower after every cut so I don't have any problems with the catcher blocking up the next time I use it. Just remember everything mechanical needs to be maintained there is no magic about it. Just like taking care of your lawn you need to maintain it for it to look good and serve you well.

Mark W.

Mark W.Hunter Region, NSW

Love this thing

Purchased in August 2020 for A$1,300.00.

Anthony

AnthonySouth East Queensland, QLD

Mowing with ease

This mower was purchased as an additional mower as we needed to try and transport our original mower to to in-laws house every week and this was getting to be a problem. We have had it over 18 months now and it has not missed a beat. Starts most times first pull if not on the second. The blade brake is a great safety feature. servicing has not been a problem. We change the Air Filter regularly as the area mowed is usually quit dusty. We only fill it up at the start of the day as It seems to run forever on a tank of fuel.. The only down side is the catcher is a bit difficult to empty when it is full to the max. Saying that it picks up every blade of grass. In the wet it it probably picks up 95% of what is cut.

Purchased in February 2018 at Brisbane Mower Centre.

Ron G

Ron GSydney, NSW

My go to

Used daily and its my go to every time. Best lawnmower Ive had and would buy it again and again. Great on all terrain, dry and wet, and never let me down so far. Good on fuel. Catcher could be a little bigger but not a big enough issue to bother me.

Purchased in March 2017 for A$800.00.

Product is usedDaily

Long lasting and easy start, as expected from Honda Mowers

Date PurchasedJul 2008
Tim

Tim

Runs like a dream.

This was a replacement for my 32 year old Suzuki Two Stroke. Another legendary mower but the Honda starts first time everytime. I use the mulching plug so that I dont need the catcher. Its so good that I almost enjoy mowing which I never did with the old mower. A fantastic product

Date PurchasedNov 2016
dan

danDeniliquin

Love this mower

I have had this mower 4 years, its been good to use. It starts fast time its never let me down and its always been easy to start. Its never run out of fuel because it takes a lot of fuel I can mow a big lawn with it easy.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015
Chris

ChrisGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Bought mine 10 years ago. No problems !!

The Honda 196P Push Petrol Lawn Mower is one of the best heavy duty lawn mowers in the market. Built to mow in the toughest of conditions, features the 4 stroke OHV GXV160 engine and guarantees to start the first time. Ideal for medium and large lawns as well as for serious contractors.

Weighing in at 34 kg, this Honda Lawn Mower offers a 19-inch cutting width and 163cc.

Date PurchasedJan 2008
Bob T

Bob TTarneit

Great mower

Upgraded from an old Rover, this thing is amazing, starts so easy, makes light work of my tough buffalo, only con is the arm folding feature, very difficult to Fold for storage. I highly recommend this product, great safety features too. I like the simplicity, no choke, no primer, just pull the chord and away you go, well done Honda!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Big Red

Big RedMelbourne

As a professional, there is only one choice. Honda

Date PurchasedJul 2016
happy campers

happy campersbrisbane

CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU

This Honda mower is the best mower I have ever owned, heaps of power and so quite, the mower cuts very clean and fills the catcher full as a googe even wet grass packs in tight, the Honda is so easy to clean by putting the hose in the deck hole, starts first time every time, well done Honda.

Date PurchasedAug 2010
Viva Espana

Viva EspanaSurfers Paradise QLD. 4217

HONDA HRU 196 HAD LOTS OF HARD WORK BUT AS NEVER LET ME DOWN.... VERY GOOD MACHINE

Date PurchasedMay 2004
gardener george

gardener georgeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Like the old but better

The 19 inch special edition heritage is a very good mower, I've reviewed my five year old previous modal with the fabric catcher and half shute in product review. This newer modal that I've had a year has the old style plastic catcher, full shute width, engine braking, you can mow the lawn a notch shorter with the same ease and its lighter, same reliability, it makes a difference in effort required compared to the other honda, you'll be lucky to find the heritage as it's a special edition, but it's a good improvement.

Date PurchasedJul 2016
NotAHappyCustomer

NotAHappyCustomerAU

Great mower

Very, very happy with this mower. It cuts well, feels solidly built and is easy to use.

The downside: there was a small production run of engines which had faulty throttles. Mine was unfortunately one of those, and it took a couple of trips back to the retailer (Haughton Honda, in Adelaide) to get it fixed. But since then it's been flawless and is a pleasure to use.

Date PurchasedApr 2014
Wantone

WantoneSouth Australia

Great mower. Small chute gap is OKAY because...

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Find out how Honda HRU196 compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

The best mower I have ever used

I've had one of these mowers for 6+ years and it's never let me down. I have a large lawn (500 sqm) with thick buffalo grass. This mower just powers through it - never stalls. I'm sure I'll still be using it many years from now (or maybe my son will!).

Date PurchasedJan 2010
Langas

LangasPalmerston, NT

Great

I wanted to get a new mower and having other Honda equipment, wanted to get a Honda mower mainly for the ease of starting. After reading reviews, I was hesitant to get a Honda. I rang Honda and questioned them on the reviews and they gave me answers to all the questions I asked. I ended up buying a mower from the local Honda dealer and so far have been extremely satisfied with it. We had a huge down pour the day prior to mowing the lawn, and using a sensible height setting had no issues with grass clippings clogging up the discharge shute. So far so good, would recommend speaking to Honda or your dealer prior to purchasing if you have any questions.

James H.Honda

Hi Kangas, thanks for taking the time to review the HRU196M1. Its great to hear that you thoroughly did your research.
-Sarah

Joshy

Joshy

Can't complaint

I owned Honda HRU196D for about 7 years now and it getting the job done all the time. It hasn't given me any problems yet I think it's tough and durable mower. I changed spark plug and oil once a year and no need to take it to mower shop for services. Happy with the mower and can't complaint.

James H.Honda

Thanks Joshy for taking the time to share your experience with the HRU196D. Its is great to hear your thoughts on this model. -Sarah

gypsy

David B.

David B.asked

HRU196

Hi,
I'm about to remove the disc cutter with an impact driver.
Does anyone know which direction to undo the nut, Counter clockwise or clockwise?
My manual says the PTO shaft direction is counter clockwise, thanks.

Crazyjohnasked

Buffalo Classic HRU196D

I have a problem with the handle at the back on the right hand side of the mower.The handle is badly corroded and interfere with raising and lowering the mower height.Where can I buy a replacement handle please? regards John.my email is crazyjohn42@icloud.com.Thanks again.

Paul R.
Paul R.

I suggest you talk to your local friendly Honda dealer who may be able to source a new part for you or may have old mowers around that they can scavenge parts from to repair your mower saving you more money.They get plenty of very cheap trade in mowers ,many of which are handy for spare parts.Give them a call.

Crazyjohn

Thanks for your help Paul.

Julian C.

Julian C.asked

HRU196

My Honda Buck HRU19 (3 years old) starts well but annoyingly surges and fades when under load. I'm guessing the exhaust filter is the problem so I'm continually blowing clear for any dust or grime. Within minutes it's back to the coughing problem.
Any suggestions?

jeremy.ieraci
jeremy.ieraci

Sounds like your carb needs a clean. It will be a little bit blocked, unable to get enough fuel under load. If you've cleaned the muffler it's not that

Compare all 3 Honda HRU196
Height of Cut16 mm to 76 mm
Weight44 kg
Engine / Motor
Engine NameHonda GCV160 OHV Iron Bore
Engine TypeOHV (Overhead Valve)
BrandHonda