Honda HRU196
See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Honda Power Equipment? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

• Starts with little effort

• Cuts grass cleanly

• Blade brake system works well

Cons

• Heavy

• Product is used
  • Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency

B . LAW
B . LAWSouth East Queensland, QLD

Just too Heavy, FALSE ADVERTISING by Honda.....Lightweight to push...…Yeh right.

Purchased in June 2021 for $1,300.00.

perfect for me

It's a bit heavy for me as a senior citizen so I can't lift it into my ute therefore have to do all maintenance and work myself. I learned quickly and it's pretty simple. West Coast, South Island, NZ where the rough wet land is a challenge. Not so for the 196, I love it. Used weekly in summer and on dry days in winter so it gets a lot of use. I can not fault it. Thanks Honda, the best mower ever for me. Hint: Do not lend it to anyone!! They don't want to give it back.

Purchased in August 2018.

Master
MasterMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Perfect lazy gardeners lawn mower

I have had this lawn mower for 10 years never had a issue with it very little maintenance. Use the mower weekly during summer and a lot less frequent during winter. I have only change the blades, pull cord, oil and cleaned out the filter every three or four years. It starts every time all the time even after long periods of not using it during winter starts first time every time. I clean my mower after every cut so I don't have any problems with the catcher blocking up the next time I use it. Just remember everything mechanical needs to be maintained there is no magic about it. Just like taking care of your lawn you need to maintain it for it to look good and serve you well.

Mark W.
Mark W.Hunter Region, NSW

Love this thing

Purchased in August 2020 for $1,300.00.

Steph C
Steph CAU

Worst mower

Absolute rubbish. Bought this one online and had it delivered. Too heavy!
Automatic choke sticks and it won’t start after using for a while. Have to remove the filter and use a screwdriver to poke in it to open it and get it going again.
Can’t adjust the throttle.

John Geo
John GeoGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Piece of overweight Junk

Purchased in January 2020 for $999.00.

jeremy.ieraci
jeremy.ieraciDarwin, NT

Purchased in November 2019 at All Mower Spares for $1,200.00.

Is artificial grass the right choice for my lawn?

With spring in full swing and yard owners tending to their greenery more, some are looking to ditch the lawn mowing altogether in favour of artificial grass. We go through the pros and cons of installing a synthetic lawn so that you can decide what’s right for your turf.

Clara V.
Clara V.21 Sept 2021
is-artificial-grass-the-right-choice-for-my-lawn
Should I get a petrol or battery lawn mower?

Battery lawn mowers are advertised as having the power to rival that of their petrol counterparts - without the noise, hassle, and fumes. We compare the two to help you decide which type of push mower is right for your yard.

Clara V.
Clara V.13 Oct 2021
should-i-get-a-petrol-or-battery-lawn-mower
Anthony
AnthonySouth East Queensland, QLD

Mowing with ease

This mower was purchased as an additional mower as we needed to try and transport our original mower to to in-laws house every week and this was getting to be a problem. We have had it over 18 months now and it has not missed a beat. Starts most times first pull if not on the second. The blade brake is a great safety feature. servicing has not been a problem. We change the Air Filter regularly as the area mowed is usually quit dusty. We only fill it up at the start of the day as It seems to run forever on a tank of fuel.. The only down side is the catcher is a bit difficult to empty when it is full to the max. Saying that it picks up every blade of grass. In the wet it it probably picks up 95% of what is cut.

Purchased in February 2018 at Brisbane Mower Centre.

Ron G
Ron GSydney, NSW

My go to

Used daily and its my go to every time. Best lawnmower Ive had and would buy it again and again. Great on all terrain, dry and wet, and never let me down so far. Good on fuel. Catcher could be a little bigger but not a big enough issue to bother me.

Purchased in March 2017 for $800.00.

Long lasting and easy start, as expected from Honda Mowers

Date PurchasedJuly 2008
Tim
Tim

Runs like a dream.

This was a replacement for my 32 year old Suzuki Two Stroke. Another legendary mower but the Honda starts first time everytime. I use the mulching plug so that I dont need the catcher. Its so good that I almost enjoy mowing which I never did with the old mower. A fantastic product

Date PurchasedNov 2016
dan
danDeniliquin

Love this mower

I have had this mower 4 years, its been good to use. It starts fast time its never let me down and its always been easy to start. Its never run out of fuel because it takes a lot of fuel I can mow a big lawn with it easy.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Chris
ChrisGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Bought mine 10 years ago. No problems !!

The Honda 196P Push Petrol Lawn Mower is one of the best heavy duty lawn mowers in the market. Built to mow in the toughest of conditions, features the 4 stroke OHV GXV160 engine and guarantees to start the first time. Ideal for medium and large lawns as well as for serious contractors.

Weighing in at 34 kg, this Honda Lawn Mower offers a 19-inch cutting width and 163cc.

Date PurchasedJan 2008
Paul D
Paul DBrisbane

Bad mower. Doesn't cut. Doesn't catch.

Worst decision in a long time. Thought I'd buy a premium mower at more than $1100. Only thing good is that it starts easy. I upgraded to 4 blades from 2 and still does not pick up the grass, just blocks the tiny shut for anything more than the smallest cut..... even in the dry! Very heavy for a push mower. I am so frustrated with the mower that I now mow/mulch and then hand rake up the grass!!!! I was told the motor is commercial grade, maybe it will last, however, it is not powerful and when the grass is thick the safety blade brake starts to slip!!! Once it has started to slip it generates heat from the friction and slips even more!

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Bob T
Bob TTarneit

Great mower

Upgraded from an old Rover, this thing is amazing, starts so easy, makes light work of my tough buffalo, only con is the arm folding feature, very difficult to Fold for storage. I highly recommend this product, great safety features too. I like the simplicity, no choke, no primer, just pull the chord and away you go, well done Honda!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Steve S.
Steve S.asked
HRU196

My HRU196 starts runs for about 20 seconds ,starts posing and running rough and then cuts out.
have taken the carry off and cleaned the main jet ect and tried again . It started straight away firs pull and then starts then it begins running rough and cuts out.Could the spark plug be breaking down ?

mike
mikeasked
HRU196

My hur 196 classic has become hard to start . I have replaced spark plug and has new air filter but still takes many pulls on choke to start - has any one got any helpful tips?

Joe Z.
Joe Z.asked

Why is hard to push

The Reviewer
The Reviewer

Why ask the same question 3 times in 10 minutes?
Suggest you get someone to contact them directly if you want to know.

Honda HRU196

Features:

• The Honda HRU196 Push Mowers have 4-stroke technology, giving them the power and torque to tackle medium to large lawns.
  • They have cast iron bore engines that are made to last, and a swing back blade cutting system that gives your mowing a professional finish.
  • The HRU196’s blade brake has technology that stops the blades within 3 seconds of you releasing the mower’s handle while the engine continues running. This lets you leave your mower safely running while you remove any obstacles in your path, empty the catcher, or take a breather - all without the need to restart the engine.
  • A rear safety shield gives extra user protection from flying grass and debris.
  • The mower has a full open discharge and a large catcher, meaning less time spent unclogging the chute.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers found that this mower started easily on the first pull or second.
  • Reviewers also appreciated that the mower gave a clean cut in a variety of weather conditions, whether it was wet, dry, or dusty.
  • They also said that the blade brake system works well for those who need to regularly move obstacles or take a quick break, which made mowing a lot easier without needing to continuously restart the engine.

A point of pain:

• Many reviewers found that this mower was too heavy for their liking, saying that it was difficult to push around, particularly if they were covering a large area. A few users said that this weight created significant tracks when mowing damp ground, resulting in an unsightly lawn.
Compare all 3 Honda HRU196
Height of Cut16 mm to 76 mm
Weight44 kg
Engine / Motor
Engine NameHonda GCV160 OHV Iron Bore
Engine TypeOHV (Overhead Valve)
BrandHonda