Starts with little effort
Cuts grass cleanly
Blade brake system works well
Reviewer Photos & Videos
I've been mowing commercially for the past 5 years with a HRU19 buck I bought new, it always started first pull and was a good piece of kit. Upgraded to the 196 and just got home from my first day's work with it out in the field across 4 different jobs. So how is it? Good, but heavy!
This thing's a little harder to push around, weighing in at 44kgs it's 10kgs up from my old buck. The mower is solid as all hell. I bought it for it's everlasting reputation
It's tough, trustworthy, looks cool and cuts well (thankful I don't have the small chute...and bag that kept clogging anymore!) Lifting it out of the ute I notice the extra 10kg but not as bad as I thought, which is good. The buck was heavy too, no doubt about it but the 196 just takes it to the next level is all. EDIT** I actually have two 196 now by the way, the new old style catch one and a bag catcher, half chute too. Both have their strengths and weaknesses (bag version prone to clogging chute in wet or long grass, plastic catch version spits some clippings at flap, did it from new and old ones I recall same fault. You have to clean all seal points and try mould to the shape of catcher bit even doing this isn't perfect abd still spits some) I had an issue from the shop. Got it home and the throttle would waiver up and down at 'full' position. Found the cable needed adjusting, now it's good. Starts first pull if you do use choke when cold and just start in "high" position when already warm. Blade brake stops blades immediately, which is safe. Solid mower sound. It's the real deal, that's for sure, just not lightweight.
Purchased in November 2019 at All Mower Spares for $1,200.00.
My go to
Used daily and its my go to every time. Best lawnmower Ive had and would buy it again and again. Great on all terrain, dry and wet, and never let me down so far. Good on fuel. Catcher could be a little bigger but not a big enough issue to bother me.
Purchased in March 2017 for $800.00.
Questions & Answers
My HRU196 starts runs for about 20 seconds ,starts posing and running rough and then cuts out.
have taken the carry off and cleaned the main jet ect and tried again . It started straight away firs pull and then starts then it begins running rough and cuts out.Could the spark plug be breaking down ?
My hur 196 classic has become hard to start . I have replaced spark plug and has new air filter but still takes many pulls on choke to start - has any one got any helpful tips?
Get an answer from our members
- The Honda HRU196 Push Mowers have 4-stroke technology, giving them the power and torque to tackle medium to large lawns.
- They have cast iron bore engines that are made to last, and a swing back blade cutting system that gives your mowing a professional finish.
- The HRU196’s blade brake has technology that stops the blades within 3 seconds of you releasing the mower’s handle while the engine continues running. This lets you leave your mower safely running while you remove any obstacles in your path, empty the catcher, or take a breather - all without the need to restart the engine.
- A rear safety shield gives extra user protection from flying grass and debris.
- The mower has a full open discharge and a large catcher, meaning less time spent unclogging the chute.
Points of praise:
- Most reviewers found that this mower started easily on the first pull or second.
- Reviewers also appreciated that the mower gave a clean cut in a variety of weather conditions, whether it was wet, dry, or dusty.
- They also said that the blade brake system works well for those who need to regularly move obstacles or take a quick break, which made mowing a lot easier without needing to continuously restart the engine.
A point of pain:
- Many reviewers found that this mower was too heavy for their liking, saying that it was difficult to push around, particularly if they were covering a large area. A few users said that this weight created significant tracks when mowing damp ground, resulting in an unsightly lawn.
|Category||Petrol Lawn Mowers||Petrol Lawn Mowers||Petrol Lawn Mowers|
|Catcher Capacity||60 L|
|Cutting Deck Material||Aluminium Alloy|
|Cutting Width||470 mm|
|Height of Cut||16 mm to 76 mm|
|Manufacturer Warranty||4 year(s)|
|Engine / Motor|
|Engine Name||Honda GCV160 OHV Iron Bore|
|Engine Type||OHV (Overhead Valve)|
|Release date||Sept 2010|
Other Petrol Lawn Mowers
ProductReview.com.au has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence our content moderation policies in any way, though ProductReview.com.au may earn commissions for products/services purchased via affiliate links.