Starts with little effort
Cuts grass cleanly
Blade brake system works well
Just too Heavy, FALSE ADVERTISING by Honda.....Lightweight to push...…Yeh right.
Love all things Honda, bikes, generators, outboards etc, live in tropical north Qld where grass can grow an inch overnight. Lightweight to use as ADVERTISED by Honda, FALSE, VERY HEAVY, could not buy this model in Qld so on Hondas advertising as lightweight to use (Total Lies) purchased from interstate with an extra $300 au shipping charge added on. Are you a Roman Greco Wrestler???well you need to be to use this so called lightweight to use mower. Almost 40 kilos dry( Hondas true figures) and up to 48- 50 kilos to push with full catcher, trust...me I have weighed these figures. Mower is great in every other department except the Weight( Have I mentioned this enough already), I have now gone back to my old trusty TRUE lightweight Flymo easy to use mower, the Honda now sits as garage queen with 1 hour use as it cost too much with shipping to part with it at this time. This mower makes it a real chore to mow and takes out any enjoyment of mowing, I wished I had seen these reviews ( heavy to use and lift),sooooooooo...I have learnt a rather expensive lesson ,advise to others, try and test drive (push) one in a show room first, make sure you have great upper body strength AND have NO sloping yard to mow as I do. Disappointed ,my first new mower at 50 years of age to be lumped with a heavy boat anchor. I have made do with older mowers (the mighty Suzuki 2 stroke)that I have rebuilt myself and kept going over all these years , only to try and spoil myself with a new Honda to be totally let down. Do not believe the advertising by Honda AND the dealers that are selling them.
Purchased in June 2021 for $1,300.00.
perfect for me
It's a bit heavy for me as a senior citizen so I can't lift it into my ute therefore have to do all maintenance and work myself. I learned quickly and it's pretty simple. West Coast, South Island, NZ where the rough wet land is a challenge. Not so for the 196, I love it. Used weekly in summer and on dry days in winter so it gets a lot of use. I can not fault it. Thanks Honda, the best mower ever for me. Hint: Do not lend it to anyone!! They don't want to give it back.
Purchased in August 2018.
Perfect lazy gardeners lawn mower
I have had this lawn mower for 10 years never had a issue with it very little maintenance. Use the mower weekly during summer and a lot less frequent during winter. I have only change the blades, pull cord, oil and cleaned out the filter every three or four years. It starts every time all the time even after long periods of not using it during winter starts first time every time. I clean my mower after every cut so I don't have any problems with the catcher blocking up the next time I use it. Just remember everything mechanical needs to be maintained there is no magic about it. Just like taking care of your lawn you need to maintain it for it to look good and serve you well.
Love this thing
OK worst part of this mower is $1300 price tag but its worth it!
Excellent mower that starts with little effort and gives a great result!
not had any issues with out honda gear (Mower, whipper snipper, fire pump and generator) all start first go!
Without a doubt people have issues but doubt they would be huge!!!
Only thing is the mower is much much louder than my old Victa Sport with the Fiat engine (Tecumseh motor).
Suggest Hearing protection or deafen yourself with the iPod.
Purchased in August 2020 for $1,300.00.
Find out how Honda HRU196 compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers
Know better, choose better.
Mowing with ease
This mower was purchased as an additional mower as we needed to try and transport our original mower to to in-laws house every week and this was getting to be a problem. We have had it over 18 months now and it has not missed a beat. Starts most times first pull if not on the second. The blade brake is a great safety feature. servicing has not been a problem. We change the Air Filter regularly as the area mowed is usually quit dusty. We only fill it up at the start of the day as It seems to run forever on a tank of fuel.. The only down side is the catcher is a bit difficult to empty when it is full to the max. Saying that it picks up every blade of grass. In the wet it it probably picks up 95% of what is cut.
Purchased in February 2018 at Brisbane Mower Centre.
Questions & Answers
My HRU196 starts runs for about 20 seconds ,starts posing and running rough and then cuts out.
have taken the carry off and cleaned the main jet ect and tried again . It started straight away firs pull and then starts then it begins running rough and cuts out.Could the spark plug be breaking down ?
My hur 196 classic has become hard to start . I have replaced spark plug and has new air filter but still takes many pulls on choke to start - has any one got any helpful tips?
Get an answer from our members
- The Honda HRU196 Push Mowers have 4-stroke technology, giving them the power and torque to tackle medium to large lawns.
- They have cast iron bore engines that are made to last, and a swing back blade cutting system that gives your mowing a professional finish.
- The HRU196’s blade brake has technology that stops the blades within 3 seconds of you releasing the mower’s handle while the engine continues running. This lets you leave your mower safely running while you remove any obstacles in your path, empty the catcher, or take a breather - all without the need to restart the engine.
- A rear safety shield gives extra user protection from flying grass and debris.
- The mower has a full open discharge and a large catcher, meaning less time spent unclogging the chute.
Points of praise:
- Most reviewers found that this mower started easily on the first pull or second.
- Reviewers also appreciated that the mower gave a clean cut in a variety of weather conditions, whether it was wet, dry, or dusty.
- They also said that the blade brake system works well for those who need to regularly move obstacles or take a quick break, which made mowing a lot easier without needing to continuously restart the engine.
A point of pain:
- Many reviewers found that this mower was too heavy for their liking, saying that it was difficult to push around, particularly if they were covering a large area. A few users said that this weight created significant tracks when mowing damp ground, resulting in an unsightly lawn.
|Category||Petrol Lawn Mowers||Petrol Lawn Mowers||Petrol Lawn Mowers|
|Catcher Capacity||60 L|
|Cutting Deck Material||Aluminium Alloy|
|Cutting Width||470 mm|
|Height of Cut||16 mm to 76 mm|
|Manufacturer Warranty||4 year(s)|
|Engine / Motor|
|Engine Name||Honda GCV160 OHV Iron Bore|
|Engine Type||OHV (Overhead Valve)|
|Release date||Sept 2010|
Other Petrol Lawn Mowers
ProductReview.com.au has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence our content moderation policies in any way, though ProductReview.com.au may earn commissions for products/services purchased via affiliate links.