Honda HRU196

Honda HRU196 (page 2 of 3)

HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake), HRU196D, HRU196K1
See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Honda Power Equipment? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

• Starts with little effort

• Cuts grass cleanly

• Blade brake system works well

Cons

• Heavy

• Product is used
  • Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency

Langas
LangasPalmerston, NT

I wanted to get a new mower and having other Honda equipment, wanted to get a Honda mower mainly for the ease of starting. After reading reviews, I was hesitant to get a Honda. I rang Honda and questioned them on the reviews and they gave me answers to all the questions I asked. I ended up buying a mower from the local Honda dealer and so far have been extremely satisfied with it. We had a huge down pour the day prior to mowing the lawn, and using a sensible height setting had no issues with grass clippings clogging up the discharge shute. So far so good, would recommend speaking to Honda or your dealer prior to purchasing if you have any questions.

James H.Honda

Hi Kangas, thanks for taking the time to review the HRU196M1. Its great to hear that you thoroughly did your research.
-Sarah

Joshy
Joshy

Can't complaint

I owned Honda HRU196D for about 7 years now and it getting the job done all the time. It hasn't given me any problems yet I think it's tough and durable mower. I changed spark plug and oil once a year and no need to take it to mower shop for services. Happy with the mower and can't complaint.

James H.Honda

Thanks Joshy for taking the time to share your experience with the HRU196D. Its is great to hear your thoughts on this model. -Sarah

Old model was MUCH better!

Hi,
As a lawn contractor for over ten years I must say! You need a new design team! Someone who actually uses the product. Your older style was lighter, cheaper, and much better machine! Almost 10kgs heavier! For a blade or engine break. And yes they clog!!! I expect much more from Honda.

gypsy

MartinMelbourne

Great Mower

Hi Martin thanks for your review. - Sarah

Best mower ever

Have had this mower for 4 years now bought because i was working away easy and safe for the wife to use. Hunted around until i found a shop with a mower without blade break. All i have ever done is replace blades and added a snorkel. After leaving it sit for two years while on a job in Queensland i came home filled it with premium unleaded and it started first pull as always. When i bought it i took it to dealer for first service and they adjusted engine speed and the mower got much better at catching and just sounded so much better. So maybe if yours isnt catching and mulching quite right get them to investigate the speed.

Great to hear your feedback josh. - Sarah

Garie
GarieIllawarra, NSW

Stung twice

Why do we have to pay for the bigger bag? it is a problem with the mower so why dont honda pay for it?.I have had a HRU196m1 for a week and im not happy with it.I mowed my back lawn(18x14 metres) the shute blocked 3 times and the grass was only slightly damp.My 25 yr old victa never blocked up.I think honda has a hide to tell us to buy a so called remedy for a design problem they know about .

Is artificial grass the right choice for my lawn?

With spring in full swing and yard owners tending to their greenery more, some are looking to ditch the lawn mowing altogether in favour of artificial grass. We go through the pros and cons of installing a synthetic lawn so that you can decide what’s right for your turf.

Clara V.
Clara V.21 Sept 2021
is-artificial-grass-the-right-choice-for-my-lawn
Should I get a petrol or battery lawn mower?

Battery lawn mowers are advertised as having the power to rival that of their petrol counterparts - without the noise, hassle, and fumes. We compare the two to help you decide which type of push mower is right for your yard.

Clara V.
Clara V.13 Oct 2021
should-i-get-a-petrol-or-battery-lawn-mower

Very unhappy

This mower clogs up all the time. Had to use the cheap back up mower to do the lawns properly and it did not clog at all. Honda might think that they are good coming up with these new ideas but having less than half of the back of the mower to eject the grass is just stupid!! Not happy!!
Motor
Clogs with grass all the time.

Colin Kay
Colin KaySydney

What I needed

Spent a long time thinking if I should spend the money on this lawn mower. Just after my third cut I thought to myself, should've been bought a long time ago.
It has a quiete engine and runs smooth. Good on fuel too.
Had this for three months now and still starts first time. Well see after a year.
Makes my job easier and better
Too too heavy

Fantastic to hear your feedback Colin Kay. - Sarah

Trok Ground Care ,New Ze
Trok Ground Care ,New ZeHamilton, New Zealand.

Wanted ,cant buy this model in New Zealand any more

In the job of lawn care, I have found this model great, I would like to buy 2 more, but the dealers tell me they don't sell them any more ,so I brought a new hru196,and found that it is to heavy ,doesn't like to pick up wet grass , I have tried different blades ,people in the lawn care game want then they are like gold, Time is money and doing a good job , come on Honda sell me 2 of them.
Light weight ,catch in any weather, great engine,
the only thing i could say is the handle for gound adjustment, make stronger

Mark Johnson
Mark JohnsonGeraldton , W.A.

Happy Honda !

I have two Honda mowers and they are the best I have them regularly serviced. If you want a machine that the professionals use and will do the job every time then get a Honda. They can be expensive to buy however you get what you pay for and they are worth it in the long run.
Quality , reliability and durability.
none to mention.

Craigwestern australia

A very poor mower

This mower continually blocks up due to the small shute. The blade brake is a joke. Why does the public have to allow for idiots. Mowers have been around along time without the need of a blade brake. Honda should go back to the KISS method and once again produce a good mower
Reliable engine. Solid base(weight a slight issue)
Does not catch grass as shute blocks far to easily.

Craig

Just so I am not a whinging whinger, the Honda range of trimmers(whipper snippers) and blowers are bullet proof in my opinion. I wouldnt use anything else. I hope they get the mower right.

Honda gone backwards

I've been a lawn mower man for 30 years,always loyal to honda, latest edition from honda is very dissapointing. the smaller chute clogs up far to easy, when the going got tough honda used to get going, now its useless. looks like the last honda i'll buy unless they widen chute!!!!
height lever.
cuoldn't catch a cold.

James
James
Artie K
Artie KSydney, NSW

Honda Mower - HRU-196M1 - Well & truly met my high expectations!

the best by far

i have been commercial mowie 18 years and i can tell u Honda easily the best i tell u why, ive had the same two Honda's 15 years and im not pulling your leg, been regularly serviced, they are tough machines, in this time i bought other brands and they fall apart, do yourself a favour do not buy anything else
if you regular service them and look after them they will go on forever.
cuts grass very clean, never drops leaves
cant think of one

wise awl
wise awl

agree, shame the new model hru196 is not as good as this model

Luke
Luke

Hi honda i can tell you something right now maybe widen the chute i think thats the only thing wrong

Superb mower that just purrs along and never misses a beat, the mulching function really works and is no gimmick. I never have had the need to use the catcher so I cant comment on it.
Love it, powerful quiet and economical. This mower has its work cut out, we live on 1.5 acres, and obviously it's not all lawn. However there is still the equivalent of 4-5 smaller blocks. The Honda powers thru the job without any hint of giving up. The finish is superb, any better than a professional ride on mower man has achieved. If you want a serious mower buy this Honda....
None that i have found yet.

gsr
gsrSouth of Christchurch

Best. Mower. Ever.

After years of near apoplexy caused by lawn mowers designed by people who hate me, I finally caved and bought a "real" mower. My only regret is that I didn't do it a long time ago. This Honda is strong, grunty, reliable, and does a great job, especially mulching. The HRU196D starts first time, every time, even after it has sat for months with fuel in the tank and carb after I forgot to drain it before going overseas. Duh. My only criticism is that the handle locking bolts (halfway up, where you fold it) can come loose and fall out after a few hours mowing. Make sure you periodically check them.
Strong, grunty, reliable, effective.
Watch those handle bolts.

markden
markdenSydney, NSW

MultiGazman
MultiGazman

Excellent, I decent review at last,These are the things you need to know when buying a machine of any type.Thanks for the through review, Im off to buy a new honda mower.

kjm1
kjm1South-East, TAS

Family Heirloom

Eight years old and still going like its new. very economical. Takes me about 3.5 hours to mow our block. We bought a ride on for $3500 dollars it lasted two months and fell to bits but did the mowing in about 40 mins. At least I deserve a beer after pusing the Honda.
Please make a Honda ride on mower.
Starts first time, Great cut, cheap to run, easy to service,
will outlast me

HAS11
HAS11Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Honda performance

I run a mowing business that I have been running for 7 years a I have always used hondas and this model Is my pick of the lot, I have newer and older models
Honda reliability and performance, power

ligedyletch
ligedyletchSouth East Queensland, QLD

HRU196K1 - Great engine but poorly engineered catcher design. Not worth the money.

expert
expert
vladimir
vladimir

I can't understand you, where do you think the grass is going to go if the catcher is full?what do you think the catcher should empty itself so you don't spill grass when you empty it.

Craig

Logan the problem being is that you have to clear the shute every time you fill a bag especially if there is any hint of moisture. In other ealier models with a full open shute there was no shute to clear.

kp
kpQLD, 4560

You get what you pay for, and this is worth the extra investment.

After my parent's Honda push mower surpassed 25 years (still going strong), I wanted to get a Honda as well. However, the price was a bit high, so we did lots of research. It kept coming back to Honda for the best long term product value.

It's definitely ideal to have the rear wheel drive, especially on hilly lots. It has the power to work up the hill, so you don't have to. Starts up first time, every time. The mulch and catch feature is fantastic. No grass in bags, and the cuts blend in well with the grass. Also the unique three speed option is perfect for switching between long stretches of grass and more cramped spaces.
Reliable brand, easy start, great features.
Accelorator bar could probably be a bit more robust at the hinges.

this mower is the best ive ever used. all the contracters use honda becuase it is the best mower brand you can buy but dont get mich mach a honda.
this mower is the best ive ever used. this mower is bullet proof water proof the only prt not water proof is if you chuck it in a dam. it has a qud cut dish so you can have 1,2,3 or 4 blades 4 blades is the best for mowing around the house but 2 blades is the best for slashing.
i wasnt very impressed with the starter cord half way up the handle so i took it off.

EmilyBieman
EmilyBieman

Too heavy for the average female

Talktheroo
TalktherooAU

The best.

Put simply, the best mower on the market. I have owned one of these mowers for about three years now, always starts first pull of the cord.
Highly recommend this product.
Everything.

Jessie11
Jessie11

My Honda was bought 16 years ago and it starts like a new one. Had others but they were a waste of money.It still goes after professionally using it for 4 years.
It is a great product at all times.

Dnbj
DnbjNT, 0881

Fantastic

Great mower, cuts beautifully. I love using it and try to beat my husband to it. Fuel usage is great and blades last ages.
Easy to get parts (blades, spark plugs etc).
Reliable, and easy to use