Honda HRU196

Honda HRU196 (page 2 of 2)

HRU196M1 (L/R, Blade Brake), HRU196D, HRU196K1
See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Honda Power Equipment? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

• Starts with little effort

• Cuts grass cleanly

• Blade brake system works well

Cons

• Heavy

• Product is used
  • Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency
Artie K
Artie KSydney, NSW

Honda Mower - HRU-196M1 - Well & truly met my high expectations!

Craig
Craig

the best by far

i have been commercial mowie 18 years and i can tell u Honda easily the best i tell u why, ive had the same two Honda's 15 years and im not pulling your leg, been regularly serviced, they are tough machines, in this time i bought other brands and they fall apart, do yourself a favour do not buy anything else
if you regular service them and look after them they will go on forever.
cuts grass very clean, never drops leaves
cant think of one

wise awl
wise awl

agree, shame the new model hru196 is not as good as this model

Honda
James H.Honda
Luke
Luke

Hi honda i can tell you something right now maybe widen the chute i think thats the only thing wrong

Superb mower that just purrs along and never misses a beat, the mulching function really works and is no gimmick. I never have had the need to use the catcher so I cant comment on it.
Love it, powerful quiet and economical. This mower has its work cut out, we live on 1.5 acres, and obviously it's not all lawn. However there is still the equivalent of 4-5 smaller blocks. The Honda powers thru the job without any hint of giving up. The finish is superb, any better than a professional ride on mower man has achieved. If you want a serious mower buy this Honda....
None that i have found yet.

gsr
gsrSouth of Christchurch

Best. Mower. Ever.

After years of near apoplexy caused by lawn mowers designed by people who hate me, I finally caved and bought a "real" mower. My only regret is that I didn't do it a long time ago. This Honda is strong, grunty, reliable, and does a great job, especially mulching. The HRU196D starts first time, every time, even after it has sat for months with fuel in the tank and carb after I forgot to drain it before going overseas. Duh. My only criticism is that the handle locking bolts (halfway up, where you fold it) can come loose and fall out after a few hours mowing. Make sure you periodically check them.
Strong, grunty, reliable, effective.
Watch those handle bolts.

markden
markdenSydney, NSW

MultiGazman
MultiGazman

Excellent, I decent review at last,These are the things you need to know when buying a machine of any type.Thanks for the through review, Im off to buy a new honda mower.

kjm1
kjm1South-East, TAS

Family Heirloom

Eight years old and still going like its new. very economical. Takes me about 3.5 hours to mow our block. We bought a ride on for $3500 dollars it lasted two months and fell to bits but did the mowing in about 40 mins. At least I deserve a beer after pusing the Honda.
Please make a Honda ride on mower.
Starts first time, Great cut, cheap to run, easy to service,
will outlast me

HAS11
HAS11Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Honda performance

I run a mowing business that I have been running for 7 years a I have always used hondas and this model Is my pick of the lot, I have newer and older models
Honda reliability and performance, power

Is artificial grass the right choice for my lawn?

With spring in full swing and yard owners tending to their greenery more, some are looking to ditch the lawn mowing altogether in favour of artificial grass. We go through the pros and cons of installing a synthetic lawn so that you can decide what’s right for your turf.

Clara V.
Clara V.21 Sept 2021
is-artificial-grass-the-right-choice-for-my-lawn
kp
kpQLD, 4560

You get what you pay for, and this is worth the extra investment.

After my parent's Honda push mower surpassed 25 years (still going strong), I wanted to get a Honda as well. However, the price was a bit high, so we did lots of research. It kept coming back to Honda for the best long term product value.

It's definitely ideal to have the rear wheel drive, especially on hilly lots. It has the power to work up the hill, so you don't have to. Starts up first time, every time. The mulch and catch feature is fantastic. No grass in bags, and the cuts blend in well with the grass. Also the unique three speed option is perfect for switching between long stretches of grass and more cramped spaces.
Reliable brand, easy start, great features.
Accelorator bar could probably be a bit more robust at the hinges.

this mower is the best ive ever used. all the contracters use honda becuase it is the best mower brand you can buy but dont get mich mach a honda.
this mower is the best ive ever used. this mower is bullet proof water proof the only prt not water proof is if you chuck it in a dam. it has a qud cut dish so you can have 1,2,3 or 4 blades 4 blades is the best for mowing around the house but 2 blades is the best for slashing.
i wasnt very impressed with the starter cord half way up the handle so i took it off.

EmilyBieman
EmilyBieman

Too heavy for the average female

Talktheroo
TalktherooAU

The best.

Put simply, the best mower on the market. I have owned one of these mowers for about three years now, always starts first pull of the cord.
Highly recommend this product.
Everything.

Jessie11
Jessie11

My Honda was bought 16 years ago and it starts like a new one. Had others but they were a waste of money.It still goes after professionally using it for 4 years.
It is a great product at all times.

Dnbj
DnbjNT, 0881

Fantastic

Great mower, cuts beautifully. I love using it and try to beat my husband to it. Fuel usage is great and blades last ages.
Easy to get parts (blades, spark plugs etc).
Reliable, and easy to use

chaddy_joel
chaddy_joelAU

What a beast!

Picked this beast up on the weekend.

Just an absolute dream to use. The motor purrs. Cuts through any sort of grass with ease. I can now see why all the contractors use this mower.

I start it up in the shed just to listen to it.
Best mower on the market, fuel efficient, clean cut
Nothing really. If anything it's a little heavier than other mowers.

sandyfeet
sandyfeetAU

bennydaman1992
bennydaman1992AU

Couldn't work without it!

davidslam
davidslam

RedCow
RedCow

This is my second Honda mower and only reason I sold the first one is we moved overseas. A couple of minor changes in the 13 years between mowers but this shows that they had a great mower back then so why change it.
Great mower. Built strong and good quality. Large fuel tank, easy start, strong engine, quiet, neighbours are envious and looks sharp.
I wasn't a fan of the starter halfway up the handle with the starter cord hanging out so you can hang your laundry on it but you get used to it. That's just cosmetic. And when I get really old, I won't have to bend as far - I'm sure this mower will still be going strong then.

mcboag
mcboagVIC, 3844

I was hesitate in spending the money for this lawn mower but it is a beautiful mower that I think we will have for years to come. It is a solid construction, but to heavy to push. It is amazingly easy to start - my nine year old son can start it! The catcher works well but works best if you mow anti-clockwise due to the volute design,it also has a mulcher which is great for a quality lawn.
It is easy to start, amazingly quite, cuts beautifully, catchs well and has a mulching capability!!
The price - but it is worth it!!!!

lunic
lunicWA, 6168

Although this is a slightly more expensive mower, it is worth the extra dollars as it will give you a consistent cut and ease of use for many years as long as the appropriate service is carried out. I have a large backyard, almost able to justify a ride on, but with the Honda it takes so little effort to start and run around that I can almost look forward to mowing the lawns.
This mower being a 4 stroke takes unleaded petrol and starts first time.
Sturdy construction and a large capacity catcher means less stops for emptying.
The fuel tank is ample for a couple of hours of running.
In really long grass it does start to struggle a little but if you make two cuts at different heights its a breeze.

tasmaid
tasmaid

I have had this mower around four years and so far has not missed a beat it always starts first time is a 4 stroke takes unleaded petrol and is very economical as well it has heaps of power we have quite a lot of mowing to do here not a problem for the honda.
the mulching capacity

murrum
murrumAustralia

garic66
garic66

My overall opinion is a resounding, BUY IT, as a profesional lawn mower man it will last for years, the price is towards the high end but well worth it in the end.
6 months ago i purchased a lawn mowing franchise, not knowing which mower to purchase, i talked to other franchisee's, all had Honda hru196d, so on their feedback i purchased mine, the mower is easy to push, rolls straight and true, very large catcher, mulching capability, big engine grunts through almost anything, with the decompression on startup it is very easy to start every time.
the only thing i can point to in a dislike on the Honda is the locking nuts on the handle, running for 5 hours a day the locking nuts come loose, consistantly requireing tightening.

A quality mower with an aluminium base and wheels with ball bearings. Makes iut a breeze to mow your lawn large or small and the real plus is that it should last a lifetime provided that it is amintained properly.
The mower is very easy to start and starts first time every time ,unlike the old two strokes.It also has a good mulching capability.
I like everything about it.