Honda CB400

Honda CB400 Questions & Answers (page 2 of 2)

Hyper VTEC Revo, Hyper VTEC, Hyper VTEC Spec III, Hyper VTEC Spec II

28 questions from our users

gin0234

gin0234asked

CB400 Hyper VTEC Revo

What's the different between a VTEC Spec III and a VTEC Revo?

Kathy
Kathy

Sorry can't really answer that for you as don't have a mechanical background. My guess is that earlier Vtec motor was refined in some way and renamed.

isagani
isagani

Main difference: The VTEC engages earlier on the REVO (i.e. the rest of the valves open at lower engine revolutions than on the Spec III). "2008:The CB400SF Hyper VTEC Revo introduced Honda's PGM-FI programmed fuel injection and an idle air control valve for improved fuel economy and reliability. Revised engine materials and an integrated crank-case cover reduced the engine weight by 2 kg. The VTEC operation was further refined such that in gears 1–5 four-valve operation engaged at 6,300 rpm for wide open throttle, otherwise at 6,750 rpm, and remaining at 6,750 rpm in 6th gear. Independent cylinder ignition timing map, revised air intake geometry and a larger stainless steel muffler contribute to fuel efficiency. Updated frame rigidity and engine mounting position improved handling." Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB400SF

Nick
Nick

Revo has Fuel Injection. Spec3 is carb'd.

Johnny

Johnnyasked

Hi I own a super four there is a issue when I drive it the bike cuts out and looses power can any one give me advice what to do?

sonu
sonu

Not quit sure but you should check your all 4 spark plug and replaced it with new ngk if required else clean it, also check your air filter, change it if required so.

Danijel
Danijel

Hi Johnny. I have a similar problem occurring just above idle as I take off. Only happens momentarily and then revs freely afterwards. I haven't managed to sort out this problem yet. I'm next looking to remove and flush the fuel tank in case there is water or some other rubbish in the tank. Have you had any luck with your issue?

Thet Zaw

oughty

my cb400 has 180kph topspeed

Chris Lewis

Chris Lewisasked

hi i own a 2008 cb400 superfour ive had it for 8 months now and find it to be a fantastic little bike and cant find to many faults at all i was just wondering if anyone could answer the question of when the vtec inspection service has to be done (eg:at what klms)my bike has just on 20,000 klms on it any help would be appreciated thanks

Danny

I'm not sure about any vtec service as such, but if you mean valve clearence checks, they're due at about 24000km. Most likely you'll find your clearances are fine at 20k. Even at 30k a well treated bike should be fine. But still, you should get it checked at the 24k mark, as recommended.

ziro

According to original service manual, CB400 does not have major service, but it has 24000km valve clearance. This is to check Vtec clearance. cb400 normally run on 2 valve, when Vtec kick in it opens to 4 valve. there are several different Vtec. VTEC ( valve electric timing control), CB400's vetc is 2 valve change to 4 valve when Vtec kick in. Honda cars Vtec is also valve change from 2to 4 AND each valve oil/air intake amount and flush amount changes.(this technology is only limitted to car at moment). There is talk about introducing this technology to VFR in future. Even if u stretch to 30000km it would NOT be a big deal. Honda CB400 should break easily. You might feel tad bike is not accelerating well, but unless you are professional u would not notice. cheers.

ziro

sorry , I mean Honda CB400 should NOT break easily.

Paul2603

Paul2603asked

Tossing up between a CB400 and a Suzuki GS500
I'm 192 tall and about 86kgs. Quite inexperienced as well however I don't want to buy a bike just to be begging for more power straight away. Any opinions on the matter? it would be appreciated!

Danny

GS500 is a great cost effective option. The CB400 is more modern and faster. Looks better too IMO. But the CB will cost you more
Had the CB for several years and it's an awesome bike. Never missed a beat.

ziro

I have friend who is as tall as you(190cm),he saids its beautiful to ride. cb400 is expensive than GS500 to buy. & GS500 is little economical than cb400. I used to ride CB600. but down size to cb400, coz it felt more pulling (low torque throttle). & exhaust sound much better. & honda never break down. IMO you have to ride what you love! and if u r inexperienced cb400 is bettet, coz it has fatter tire, so much stable than GS500.

Muzza
Muzza

I've never tried the GS500... but I reckon give both of them a try and see what feels best for you.

Bree

Breeasked

Just got my bike licence the other week after a learner day course. Other than that I haven't ridden a bike before. I'm 160cm tall and weigh 60kgs. Looking for a good learner bike and really like the Honda CB400... Due to my inexperience I am worried it might be too big for me and should consider the smaller Honda CB300... Although I much prefer the 400 at this stage?

ziro

i'm 170cm, 65kg. i was riding cbr125cc before CB400. Now i think CB400 isnt big enough. So whatever you ride, you will gain experience & will be confient at it. CB300 tyre is skinnier, so you will feel unsturdiness when riding on wet or turning corner. Interms of economical not much difference. Riding position is very comfortable as well. Yes, CB400 maybe little big, but as long as you ride within your ability and not race to your destination you will be fine. Beside, CB400 has better deep engine noise so other traffic will nitice your presence. CB300, no one can hear you are coming from behind. In my opinion, go for CB 400, you will not regret, if in dought, get second hand one for cheaper price. get VTEC spec3 or above. cheers.

Hi Bree

I just upgraded to a bigger bike myself which is awesome, but still makes me appreciate just how great the CB400 is. It’s not only great all around but it is also built to last. I have only become happier with the bike since writing the review.

Anyway, I agree that it is better to be able to reach the ground properly, especially for a new rider getting used to a new bike.

The CB400 is actually very low compared to many bikes and at 160cm, I think you’d be okay with it. But still, if you want to be sure, just head around some bike shops and sit on a CB400. Shouldn't be too hard.

I haven’t tried the CBR300 but it’s a Honda, so you know it is made well, and it’s designed to compete with the Ninja 300, which is the highest selling bike in the world, so they would put some effort into it. Having said that, the CB400 is a superior bike to both of those, hence why it cost $11k new.

Enjoy riding whichever bike you decide to get.

Michaelki

Michaelkiasked

Hi

I am considering getting a bike at the ripe old age of 55. I used to have a little 50cc when I was at school and UNI, many years ago. I am interested in the Honda 400CB but I am a little concerned about its weight. Also heard some negatives about notchy gear box. I am 1.7m tall and weigh 76kg. Any thoughts about this?

DennisBurt

Hi, I am 70 and 65kg's I have travelled 72,500k's on my 2008 CB400 and it's a brilliant bike, weight is only a problem if you need to pick it up ! the gear box is a little notchy but you get familiar with it very soon.
Very good value bike and will hold it's value over time.
Regards, Dennis

Cruising49

Hey, I too am an older rider and find this bike excellent and very well balanced - have a 2012 model with abs. Gearbox a little notchy but improves with use.
Cheers cruising49

kurodori
kurodori

I've had mine about 3 years. I'm about 185cm and 85kgs. I find it quite comfortable around town and use it every day (it doesn't rain much in Perth any more!). it's covered a trouble-free 24000kms and is fun to ride and cheap to run - easy on fuel, easy on tyres, with enough of a turn of performance when you want to be a bit naughty. My cb400 also had a notchy gearchange to start with, but it's quite smooth now. (I am prob'ly making an unfair comparison with my silky smooth Blackbird). Hope this helps.

Mil

Milasked

Just hopped on a bike for the first time at 45. Purchased a cb125 while I learn. Thinking of a cb400 down the track. Would it handle touring of 200 to 300km? Looking of using it to see some of the South West Coast

Hi Mil.
I have had my 2008 CB400 ABS for 71,000 k's and no problems, I rode it over to Albany in WA in 2009 to the Ulysses Rally and back 10,500 k's return, it's a very powerful and fast bike, and excellent value for the money.
Regards, Dennis.

Cruising49

No problems touring 200 / 300 km as it can cruise at the legal limit comfortably. Just fit a gearsack (cost approx $400) as I have done.

aoaoao
aoaoao

Hi,

The CB400 is going to be a great bike. It'll handle the touring of 200-300km without working up a sweat! The biggest tour I've done to date is 1300km from Sydney-Canberra-Mt Kosiuszco over 3 days and it was fine. Mixing highway, twisites and city I managed about 4.7 litres per 100km after the 3 days. I bought some panniers which fits nicely for my planned tour through Tasmania in Jan-Feb 2015 too and I don't see any issues.

Get an answer from our members and Honda representatives