Honda CTX200

Honda CTX200 Questions & Answers (page 2 of 3)

43 questions from our users

kays

kaysasked

hello, my CTX 200 is working just fine but the rights just gone including dashboard its is off. what could be the problem? thaks in advance

Thorsten

most likely a blown fuse. If it is and it blowns again you will have to find the cause. Sometimes they blow when the headlight bulb give up and it shorts.

Darcy Casked

I have a 1993 CT200 Auto Ag, and I've just drowned it. Fell in a ditch. We took it home and emptied out the air filter and carby and took out the spark plug and blasted any water from in there. Barely had to do anything before the tough old bike started again. Thing is, we started it without the air filter in it, because we wanted it to dry before putting it back in. So the air filter is out, start the bike up, then let the air filter dry for a day. Thing is, we can't figure out how to put the air filter back in. Some other stupid thing came out, bendy bit of metal, which supposedly keeps the air filter in place when riding, but we have no idea how it clips on now. Please, if anyone can decipher what I've written, help me.

Darcy C

Ok, we got it back in. Don't know if it's right, but it's secure enough. Now it's feeling a little sluggish, like, heavy.The gearing is all wrong. Third only goes up to 50km/h now instead of 60. Second and first is all normal, but 3rd and above is wrong. Haven't gotten it to fifth yet, so I don't know if fourth is normal. Only a minor difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Arthur L
Arthur L

I had 1 of these bikes was going to make a road/trail bike with full rego.Like you I could not get the air filter back on so left it off.When I bought the bike the seller started it using a charger so I knew it would go otherwise I would not buy it for $400.After months of trying to start it at home and buying a new battery,ignition switch and fuses it refused to go.Even tried clutch starting still no good.So I sold it at a loss on Gumtree and was disappointed to say the least.

Darcy C

Yeah Arthur, eventually we just put it in with the filter, which has kept it in place haha. Feeling smooth and everything now.... Only one problem. A funny noise down near my left foot when coming to the end of a gear. Loud and not supposed to be there haha. I think it might be the auto clutch, but I'm not sure.

Grantasked

Where is the air filter on this bike?

Kerosene

Left hand side, under the plastic. It's a foam filter.

Grant

Can you please send me a photo thanks

Mark_Spark

Mark_Sparkasked

Hi. I was checking my engine oil today, didnt have the bike leveled, only started reading this now, and now i think there might be too much in the engine, advice please?

Kerosene

CTX200 takes 1 litre of oil.

Brooke

Brookeasked

Size of the back tyre ct200 auto ag bike?

18".
I think the manual suggests using a 100/100-18, but I use Dunlop D606 120/90-18.
120 comes kinda close to rubbing the exhaust when bottomed out.

Kellycalvins

Kellycalvinsasked

I have a CTX200 Bushlander and the problem is its started smoking ,and have a shaking like vibrating sound ,kindly advise what the problem is as some local mechanics are sugesting that it maybe conrod or rings

Thorsten

Smoke is a good indicator for rings as it is burning oil as it bypasses the rings. Couldn't tell you about the noise though.

Farm girl

Farm girlasked

Hi my ctx200 starts ok in the morning but 20mins down the track it cuts out and won't even kick start. But I go back an hour later and it starts. Took it in to Honda and was told there was water in the gas tank. Had it repaired but i still have the same problem. Please help

Dear Farm Girl,

I think to try getting a battery trickle charger and keep the CTX200 battery charged. Maybe try getting a new battery and make sure to maintain it by keeping it filled to the right level with distilled water and charge it often. Also inspect and maintain the spark plug or put in a new spark plug.

Thorsten

Hi there, first I would change the battery so you don't have to use the kick start. then I would change the spark plug , inspect the air filter, change the fuel filter and clean out the carby. Then you keep the old spark plug with you. Take it for a ride and if she does it again pull off the lead of the spark plug immediately and insert the spare plug in the lead. Hold the spark plug end against the cylinder of the engine and press the start button. If it is not sparking with the starter motor turning you will find that your ignition system is playing up when she is hot. It could be other things to but I would need the age of the bike and the kilometers.

Regards Thorsten

Trax

Traxasked

How do I tell what year my CT 200 is

Thorsten

Check dataplates on the sides of the frame next to the forks.

Thorsten

It should be stamped on the dataplate on the frame in front of the fueltank

Soniajane

Soniajaneasked

How much oil do I put in Honda ctx200 motorbike for oil change?

Kman

1.0 litre exactly of 10w40 for 30°C plus weather. Start up the CTX200 engine and warm it up then empty all the old engine oil. After that fill the engine with 1 litre exactly of good quality 10w40 engine oil (use mineral oil in the start. At the 8000km oil change use semi-synthetic engine oil for the rest of the bikes life to make the engine last longer. Honda GN4 mineral oil in the start then Honda HP4 semi-synthetic engine oil at 8000km onward). Check the oil level to finish up it should be just right if it needs more oil add a small amount and recheck it's level again. Be careful when adding more oil just a real little bit as you don't want to go over.

Thorsten

Pretty much what kman said. excellent

baxterburger
baxterburger

I also agree with Kman, just a thought - why not just go to full synthetic at the next service, I have - wet clutch, gears etc all work properly.

I am just curious.

Reubenmac

Reubenmacasked

Great bike the only problem I have is the electric start has stopped working and only makes a ticking noise when trying to start any ideas?

1. Check kill switch
2. Check your battery
3. Lightly tap the starter motor with a broom stick/small hammer
4. Check connections to the starter motor
5. Replace or rebuild your starter motor
6. Kick start

Thorsten

most likely your battery.Attach jumper leads and try to make sure.

Carlos

Carlosasked

Are there any mods for this model that are easy to fit like tachometer meter, gear selector indicator, pillion brackets for extra luggage or any thing?

Thorsten

Hi mate, unfortunately I couldn't find any aftermarket or original accessories.

Short Johnasked

I bought a CTX200 but found that I cannot reach the ground properly, so I have to lean over a fair bit. As I am only about 65 kg and short I feel uncomfortable. Is there any way that I can lower and or lighten the suspension?

Kman

I reckon the best options are :

1. Get a different seat that is lowered and install it I have seen them on bikes

2. Look for a smaller sized trail bike

3. Install a smaller front wheel and smaller tyres front and back that will lower it some centimetres

Regarding lightening or lowering the suspension the standard stock suspension is non adjustable you can buy and change the rear suspension to an adjustable rear suspension and set the sag to low also the front is non adjustable you can put lighter oil in it that will make it compress more and be lower be careful though you don't want either suspensions bottoming out that will damage them........ Good luck

Short John

Thanks Kman, I will try your suggestions when I get back to Darwin. At present I am 1200ks away in the middle of the NT

Michael F.
Michael F.

get a piwi 50

Rajbikesasked

I am working on a xtx 200 , it has an excessive noise which seems to be coming from the tappets, I have changed a timing chain, camshaft piston kit complet but the problem is still there .. Where could it be coming from?

Thorsten

Hi mate, I don't know how loud that noise is but my CTX I bought brandnew and from day one had tappet noise which isn't to excessive and hasn't gotten any louder, how many kms do you have on it?

Rajbikes

It has covered over 50,000 kilometres and the noise is quiet excessive, even when the tappets are very tight.

Kerosene

It's normal. My CTX had under 200km on it when I bought it, and it's always made plenty of noise.
As far as I know, the valve clearance is 0.10mm for intake and exhaust - same as the XL200.

Paul Haszaraasked

Can I put side pedals on a CTX 200 ag bike year 2004 (it can be registed and the seat is long enough to fit 2 people).

Kman

Yes I have seen it done passenger feet rests will fit on nicely.

Kerosene

Unlike the XL200, there are no welded peg tabs on the CTX200. But you could probably use clamp on pillion pegs.
I'm pretty sure that in Australia at least, the ADR rules for the CTX200(A) forbid you from carrying a passenger on public roads.

Paul Haszara

kerosene where can i pick these clip on pillion pegs up from i never seen them before

Chris Crusty Bartlett

Chris Crusty Bartlettasked

What is the correct procedure to check engine oil in ctx200?

Kman

With the CTX200 on level ground on it's left side stand start the engine and warm the engine idling it for 3 minutes then shut down the engine.
Remove the dip stick and wipe the dip stick clean then return the dip stip to it's hole but do not screw the dip stick in leave it sitting in the engine unscrewed.
Now hold the CTX200 up right in a level position on level ground for 3 minutes then return it to it's left side stand.
Now check the oil level on the dip stick their should be some engine oil on there and it should be between the two indicator lines never over the upper indicater line as this will cause too much engine pressure.
Use 10W 40 engine oil for conditions in Australia 10W 30 is for climates colder than Australia use a mineral engine oil until 8000km then change to a semi synthetic engine oil I use Honda GN4 for the mineral oil and then Honda HP4 for the semi synthetic engine oil.

Thorsten

Stand the bike upright(important) and be sure the engine rested for at least 5 minutes. Unscrew the dipstick on top of the engine, it looks like a black plug. Remove it, wipe the oil of and reinsert it WITHOUT screwing it back in. Remove it and check the level. Should you have to top it up, do it through the same opening and wait for about one minute to recheck it. Always wipe dipstick between checks. The bike has to remain upright throughout the whole procedure!

Farmer Brown

Farmer Brownasked

Hi I've bought a 2nd hand CTX Bushlande 2012 model, main problem is the rear shock has collapsed, agents price R7900, is there a aftermarket shock thats more affordable?

Thorsten

Sorry mate, never had that problem. Your best bet is the international sellers at Ebay but since it is not such a common bike you wont find many aftermarket spares.

Kman

I reckon check motor bike wreckers or search online you will find something that is value for money

Good luck

Teaks
Teaks

Hi, try Aliexpress, search ctx200 shock absorbers , replaced mine in October 2015 and use the bike for mustering stock and seems to do the job.not sure how long it will last but for under $100 I could buy a 6 spares and still be cheaper than a Honda one

Peter R

Peter Rasked

How do you replace the clutch plate?

Dear Peter R,
I would suggest getting a service manual there are quite a few steps involved

Good luck

Thorsten

Hi there,havn't replaced mine yet and there is no hard copy manual as far as I know. There is however a manual on the web but I don't know how extensive it is.

Kerosene

Get the XL200 service manual. Do a Google search for "xl200 ctx200 service manual".

fubarbundy000

fubarbundy000asked

I came across this rap. CTX200 and XL200 are very similar. Do you think it's right?

Yes, the Honda CTX200 and XL200 are very similar and both great models

Thorsten

from what I remember of the set up of the old xl I would say it is very similar besides some added extras on the CTX like bash plate, barkbusters, carry racks and electric start.

landyman

landymanasked

This is a fantastic little bike , there is no were it will not go , the weight is excellent for one person to handle if you get stuck . BUT what i would like to know is . were is the oil filter . or does it not have one ?

Kerosene

No replaceable oil filter. Just clean the strainer screen when you change the oil.
The CTX200 has a centrifugal filter. The manual says to clean it every 12,000 kms or every 1.5 years. I'd love to find a video or instructions on how to do this. I think the Honda XL200 has pretty much the same engine (identical?) as the CTX200. Anyone got an XL200 service manual they want to share?

Jim

Jimasked

Where can I find parts for this CTX 200?

Dear Jim,
The easiest way to get parts for the Honda CTX200 is from an authorized Honda motorcycle dealer. It's also worth checking online and around to find a lower price I usually just write the part I want in the Google search engine and explore the results. I have some unused brand new OEM CTX200 parts I want to sell as I am selling my CTX200A so also check Gumtree! Hope you get some parts

Kesha