Honda HRU194

• Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency

what a steal!

Purchased in November 2019 for A$70.00.

Noise Level
Safety
Wet / Damp Grass Performance
Fuel Efficiency
Product is used Daily
AFormerCustomer.

AFormerCustomer.Sydney

Bought one for $70

I remember my parents having one of these in the 1990's, so when one popped up on Gumtree I wanted it. A new spark plug, air filter, blades and 3 oil changes later (I don't think it had ever had an oil change in its life) and it runs absolutely beautifully. Starts first pull every time, does not smoke, revs up smoothly and cuts grass effortlessly. These units were built to last unlike the cheap Chinese junk you buy today.

Purchased in June 2019 for A$70.00.

Noise Level
Safety
Wet / Damp Grass Performance
Fuel Efficiency
Product is used Weekly
CJH

CJHScenic Rim

Aussie built and built to last !

Bought a HRU194 for $100 from an elderly gent who purchased it new sometime in the early 90's. Starts first pull, doesn't blow smoke and cuts very well.
Fitted the mulch plug as the previous posts suggested ( serial No. Differs with A10 being last 3 didgets), put on 4 new mulching blades and it works a treat. Had to replace all wheel bearings with genuine Honda as the generic bearings they tried to sell me were about 5 thou to big on the inside diameter.
If you can get your hands on a well maintained unit, you won't be disappointed.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

J k

J kNew Zealand

Don’t believe there could be a better push mower made

Excellent mower, no complaints, mulching plug is well worth the price.

I was told by Honda that a mulching plug for the HRU194 doesn’t exist, just to reiterate what one of the other reviewers said - the plug from the HRU196D is a perfect fit (part number 76266-VK0-A11).

Highly recommended!

Date PurchasedJan 2018

HRU194 Mulch plug

The mulch plug from a 2016 HRU196 fits the HRU 194 perfectly. Add the 4 blades and the older model lasts and works well. By the way if the older motor get a bit smokey just add a small amount no smoke for cars or similar.

Date PurchasedJan 1997

Wish my other investments this good

Purchased well over 20 years ago, since bought another Honda in anticipation the old girl would let me down one day. ( sorry to the feminists) Well, I'm still waiting, still starts first pull, minimal maintenance over the years. Second also good, just so reliable. Going to chance a third purchase with a Honda self powered, as I getting older. Fingers crossed Honda still on their game. So, three lawn mowers, what am I thinking. But I can't sell one. They will have to share.

Date PurchasedJul 1996

what a champion .. honda

Still going strong 30 years .. purchased 1989 , always starts first flick ... bit smokey in its old age , in sure she'd do more years to come .. .. proven product then , now and future .. it will be a sad day when it comes to the end

Date PurchasedMay 1996
3basS

3basSGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Classic Honda - Can't be cloned

Thanks for your review 3basS. - Sarah

Better than the Best

My dad bought our Honda HRU194 in 1988. Today was the first time the engine had ever been opened up, not because I needed to but I thought I owed it to the old girl to freshen her up a bit. Never has it given us any trouble. If you have a chance to get one, grab it while you can!

James H.Honda

Hi Nelson, Thanks for taking the time to review the HRU194. It is fantastic to hear your feedback.
-Sarah

The workhorse

My dad traded in my Peewee50 motorbike in approx. 1988, in return for this mower. He passed it down to me 10 years ago. Still going strong, starts first time every single time but as you'd expect after 28 years of hard work, is starting to fall apart. If I could glue the whole thing back together, and put a mulch plug in, I would. An amazing mower that has done some seriously hard yards.

James H.Honda

Great to hear Localboy80! Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback.
Many thanks,
Sarah

Honda The Best

I purchased my Honda HRU194PU mower in 1989 for $569. Not a cheap option at the time but it has proven its value. It still starts first pull and I wouldn't have put more then 2-3 new spark plugs in it. I am now handing it over to my son and I will be buying a new Honda HRU196 with GXV160 engine.

James H.Honda

Thank you for your review Forrest. It is fantastic to hear that Honda is making it way down the Generational ladder. - Sarah

Best mower I have ever

Cant remember when I bought this mower but I have been at my current address since 1991 and the mower came with me. Still used occasionally on some areas around the stables. My wife uses a ride on for the house yard and the Honda fills in when the ride on is out of action. Starts one pull every time even if not used for some months. Would not sell it ever! Just for interest Serial number is 8007613.

Joshy

Joshy

The King of Kings

I have owned Honda HRU194 since 1992 it's start on first pull back then and till now. I think this machine is the most durable and toughest mower Honda ever produced. I had a few newer Honda model but they are not as good as HRU194. I would recommend it.

old fart

old fart

Forget the rest

I brought a Honda mower 21 years ago service it once a year,sharpen the blades with a dremel grinder.only had one set of blades. yes I do use it on an 1/3 acre house block,every 2 weeks.i mow the infernal grass.
also have a Honda bent shaft line trimmer 5 years no problem Now I am an old fart I want a blower. and the straw broom has nearly wore out. Please note my brother has had 3 new mowers and 2line trimmersin this time not Honda What does this tell you

charliev

charlievSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great Mower

I bought my mower in1993,it just goes and goes, it has never broken down and never been in for any service or repairs, I change the oil and blades when needed and that's about it I see other people buying new mowers every few years I tell them to get a Honda and it will last you a lifetime.

Des Friend

Des FriendSouth East Queensland, QLD

Best mower

I bought my HRU194 back in 1995, it has been faultless, although its getting long in the tooth now it still performs as good as ever. I bought mine in Darwin and it has travelled with me to Qld and now NSW. I hose it down & underneath after every cut. I am impressed, nearly 20yrs and no complaints about it, even the Honda salesman said if I look after it, it will last me at least 20yrs....I thought yeah yeah heard it all before. Thank you Honda!!
I hesitated at the price at first but I can certainly see its value now

Wombok

WombokRockhampton

Great Mower

My Dad gave me the mower when he thought it was time for an "upgrade" 6 years ago, Dad has had another two mowers since then and the workhorse he gave away to me is still going strong! We've had the mower for as long as I can remember and I'm 24, it has been submerged in floodwaters and still starts first time. Fantastic mower and I definitely won't be giving it up to anyone.
Reliable, Strong, Starts first time
Doesn't mow the lawn for you

Mulch?

Does anybody know if the honda hru 194 can mulch. I have heard that the hru196 mulch plug fits. I can't find any product details or anything on this mower. Apart from that this mower is awesome. I bought it second hand it fully rebuilt.Starts first time every time no matter what!!

ScottyqHunter Region, NSW

22 years old

I bought the HRU194 back in September 1991. It has always started first time everytime. I've always washed it after a cut and last wash I think I didn't let it cool enough and it's either cracked the head / block or maybe just a gasket. She's going in for a quote to get fixed. If it's too expensive, I'll be buying another Honda, no fear!... This old girl has worked hard all it's life and never missed a beat until now (my fault!)
Started first time everytime for 22 years!
Nothing, it's been great!

fisher480
fisher480

I bought mine in 1991 also and it's still trucking on.

Scottyq

Thanks Dylan, I've replaced it with the 196. I'm sure the 196 will outlast me!.. Cheers mate..

tdphillips

tdphillipsMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Does the job everytime!

12 years ago I had the choice of a new B&S powered name brand mower , or a traded-in honda, ex mowie unit for a bit cheaper. Decided on the Honda, 12 years later, after mowing 300m2 of couch grass every 2 weeks and an acre of rural block it still starts first time....OK, sometimes 2 pulls! Its my mower, 4 wheeled wipper snipper and mulcher. It gets serviced but gets used hard cutting couch. If your buying a mower and plan on living for a long time avoid the hassle, just get the Honda, you won't be disappointed. Even if later on you don't want it anymore you'll sell it in a snap.
Reliable, well made, great long term option
Can't use the excuse of "the mower won't start" to not do the mowing!