MPN: HRU216M2
See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Honda Power Equipment? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Ferrett
FerrettCentral West, NSW

My Mowers better than yours

One thing I love to own is a great lawn mower.
Can’t go past Honda mine is not for commercial use this is my second only due to moving states and couldn’t take my other one. Starts first time every time I have it serviced regularly and love how it’s self mulching as I can’t lift the catcher so I don’t use it. This one’s going to outlast me I think. The only downside for me was price $1600 is pretty overwhelming but one the other hand it’s there for the long haul.

Date PurchasedJuly 2018
PCJB
PCJBAustralia

One of the best things I own

This works a treat after 5 years and I expect it will keep going that way for another 5 at least. I purchased to mow our 1/2 acre block that has some sloping parts and it does it with ease. At first it seemed a bit heavy and clunky to use but it a short time I figured out when and how to use the self propelling feature to my advantage. I have it serviced once a year but it could easily be done by someone at home who has the time and inclination to do it. I have since purchased a small ride on to cut the mowing time down even more but there are still some areas that the Honda can only do so I cannot part with it.

Date PurchasedJan 2013
Paddy11
Paddy11Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great self-propelling mower

Great mower especially the self-propelling part for our steep block. Easy to use and once the initial throttle cable hiccup was sorted it starts on the first pull. Nice big catcher and great mulching function. On the heavy side weight wise but. Very solid build so it should last well.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Shannon
Shannon

Dream mower!

Heavy going without being too heavy this is fantastic to work with. Such an easy to use marvel that I'm mowing the lawns of less fortunate neighbours because it's just made so easy! Very easy to start and maintain, well worth the cost even on a pretty small surburban block.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Petrol Lawn Mowers

Find out how Honda Buffalo Classic HRU216M2 compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

nbc
nbcWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Domestic Use on a large lawn

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Terrific

Mighty good mower cuts really well, Just a bit heavy!
Bit hard to turn for a old bloke of 74!
Very easy to start and run, Starts first time every time..
Easy to maintain
Love it. supplied by Mowers Galore and they have serviced it once and I would recommend this model and the service center to each and eryone

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Stew
StewCairns

Honda reliability

I've got two of these and they cop a fair amount of abuse. They start first pull every time and they aren't too noisy. I live in a hilly area and none of my clients live on flat ground, so having a self propelled machine is a must. One mower has over 800 hours on it and never had any mechanical issues. A couple of small annoyances are they don't rev out hard enough when delivered from the dealer, but that's an easy fix. The throttle lever seems to catch on low branches resulting in it almost shutting down (minor thing). Keep you blade in good condition and you'll never have an issue
Love my Hondas

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.15 Nov 2021
smart-shopping-tips-to-help-you-make-the-most-of-black-friday-sales
Is artificial grass the right choice for my lawn?

With spring in full swing and yard owners tending to their greenery more, some are looking to ditch the lawn mowing altogether in favour of artificial grass. We go through the pros and cons of installing a synthetic lawn so that you can decide what’s right for your turf.

Clara V.21 Sept 2021
is-artificial-grass-the-right-choice-for-my-lawn
Should I get a petrol or battery lawn mower?

Battery lawn mowers are advertised as having the power to rival that of their petrol counterparts - without the noise, hassle, and fumes. We compare the two to help you decide which type of push mower is right for your yard.

Clara V.13 Oct 2021
should-i-get-a-petrol-or-battery-lawn-mower
Bill M
Bill MHunter Region, NSW

Bulletproof

I've had my mower for twelve months.
I will often do between five and 10 lawns per day in summer … This mower is fantastic. As someone mentioned before, a friend of mine who does hundreds of lawns told me to push off before engaging the clutch always, and you can potentially add a couple of years life to your gearbox.
Highly recommend.

James H.Honda

Thanks for the great feedback Bill M.
-Sarah

kingfisher49
kingfisher49Tas, 7467

Awesome Lawn mower gives excellent results

Wonderful mower. Self-propelled, blade brake, and massive catcher. I have a 10 year old one I use a lot. Doing around 200 to 300 lawns a year I need the best. Great warranty. This is however, a rather heavy mower, so if you need to transport it, get some ramps.

Petrol Lawn Mowers

Amy
AmyAlbany, Western Australia

Great cut and powerful engine

Fantastic lawnmower, much better then any other mower we have had previously. Great for larger lawns i.e. 0.5 to 1 acre. Love that's it self propelled, starts first time and can cut through pretty much any type of lawn/grass effortlessly. Comes with 4 yr warranty. Mulch and catcher works really well.
cuts well and efficiently, powerful engine, starts first time
nothing really, just that is it a heavy machine

James H.Honda

Thank you for your thoughts Amy. Great to hear that you are getting the use out of your mower. - Sarah

A S.
A S.asked
Buffalo Classic HRU216M2

How many kg weight this machine

The Reviewer
The Reviewer

Can you get someone to check their website for basics ?

kew
kewasked
Buffalo Classic HRU216M2

Just purchased one of these today. This is my first self propelled mower. It has three speeds. I asked at the shop as to whether changing the speeds could be done on the go. The shop said yes but the book is a little unclear but seems to say that one should release the clutch to change the speed. Any thoughts on that. Thanks in advance.

Chrisb81au
Chrisb81au

No it can't be changed on the go. You must disengage, change gear then re-engage

Papamike
Papamike

I was told to stop before changing gears, and to push off before engaging gear to increase the life of the gear box. I learned to be pleased with 2 to 3 years use out of a machine used commercially.

James

I have a Honda HRX217 which is self-propelled as well and I can easily change speed on the go. Doesn't seem to have any affect on the mower though I often do stop or at least slow down so i can be sure it has changed to the right speed. Not sure if its the same with the 216 though I would imagine it is

Dennis
Dennisasked
Buffalo Classic HRU216M2

Hi I have a Honda Buffalo Bull Mulch & Catch!! I am looking at the Self Propelled Pro series!! How much heavier are these Self Propelled ones compared to the One I have now (approx 3 yrs old in new condition and do the dealers over trade-ins on upgrading??And what is current prices etc
Tnx for reading my Msg
Dennis

James

Hey Dennis, now while I may not have one of these myself (yet.... getting one soon) my friend does and I have a mowing business which we often use his mower for. If when you say the self propelled pro series you mean the HRU216M2 (the top-of-the-top-of-the-range one) it is rather heavy (around 60kg from what I remember) but if you have a trailer or ramp it should be fine. It is self propelled as you know already so it is a dream come true for big yards and thick grass. Tried using my own push mower yesterday on foot-high grass and it was absolute torture. The HRU216M2 is incredibly powerful though and has a blade brake which is helpful. As for the price RRP is currently $1,750 but a few places have them at $1,449 so its expensive but well worth the price. Not sure about trade-ins it probably varies by dealer so maybe ask your local mower shop.
Hope this helps.