MPN: HRX217HYU

• Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Fuel Efficiency
RayMid North Coast, NSW

Will not cut Sir Walter buffalo

Purchased in November 2019 for $1,368.00.

Ian
IanTasmania

perfect lawn mower

recently purchased the Honda Lawn mower HRX217HYU to replace an older model, this mower is easy to use and very easy to start with the Honda quick start engine this model also has self propelled back wheels which makes mowing a larger area a breeze, simple to use controls it basically only has three controls one for the self propelled speed and the other is to select the power setting ie low or high, and the last one is to select mulching or collecting grass option, the only fiddle thing i find is the wheels all have there own hight selectors but once you find the right one for your lawn its easy as. great machine and very quite

Purchased in June 2020 for $1,500.00.

Hari
HariPerth, WA

No issues, great machine.

Purchased in August 2019 for $1,300.00.

Petrol Lawn Mowers

Find out how Honda HRX217HYU (Recoil Start) compares to other Petrol Lawn Mowers

Consumer555Sydney, NSW

OK, but Mulch/Bag control needs redesigning

Bought in April 2018 after much research. It performs very well in actually cutting grass (Buffalo and Kikuyu) and has lots of good features .... However, 2 things detract from it -
1) When the bag is over half full, the front of the mower tends to lift from the grass. You need to apply positive up-force to the handle to keep it on an even keel.
2) The Mulch/Bag control (aka clip director) does not go to full 100% bag nor full 100% Mulch but just wanders around in between with a LOT of slack in the control. I took it back to the dealer 6 months ago and they reckon they are all like that. !!!!!!!!!!!!.

Purchased in April 2018 at Hills District Farm Equipment for $1,199.00.

George
GeorgeDarwin

Great Machine!

Very nice machine! I do various of runs throughout my yard and it makes my lawn look mint everytime! I like the latch to dismount the excess grass and the capacity is also quite big which was what I was after. The motor inside has plenty of power and hasn't broken down within the time I have bought it (about 9 months ago). I recommend this mower to anyone who is after great performance at a reasonably good price with that reliability that many mowers do not offer!

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Not happy Jan

Date PurchasedJune 2018
Sanchez
SanchezSydney, NSW

I'm Lovin' It

This mower is great, no issues, plenty of power in the 190cc engine and starts 1st or 2nd pull. I've had this mower about 18 months, used for 250m2 flat lawn weekly, sometimes twice a week and the cut is great. I'd never go a non-self propelled mower after this. The variable speed settings makes it easy to get the right speed and the ability to have the engine and self propelled on while the blade is not spinning is exactly what i needed to get up my steep driveway. The composite deck is not a problem, i was slightly concerned at the start. My only concern is the fixed blade, if it hits anything I've read it destroys the engine/mower, if that happens the cost of replacing will hurt.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

A few refinements required.

Three improvements would make it great.
Individual wheel adjustments. Why? Front are easy to adjust but the rear are an absolute wrestling nightmare! A lot of skinned knuckles right there!
When the bag starts to get full, the rear end becomes too heavy. You have to put pressure on the handlebars to keep the front wheels on the ground.
The mulch/catcher adjustment jams with build up. Have to physically stop the mower, clean out and adjust. Can't do on the run unless you give the lever a good kick.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Great Mower

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Don.B
Don.BGold Coast

21" of of cutting power

I have owned a lot of mowers in my time and as a lawn contractor by trade, I cannot go past the honda series. the 21" makes quick work of even the toughest lawns and doesn't skip a beat. I have tweaked the revs up to 3500 for a little more grunt to cut through the thick stuff as at factory it is set in the low 3000's which slows productivity. Overall these models are hard to beat and not many competitors come close

Date PurchasedJuly 2017
murray.ockenfels
murray.ockenfelsSouth East Queensland, QLD

Blade performance

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Fish
FishUmina

Awesome machine

I bought my hrx217 last August, It's my first honda for my business. Runs great and very light considering it's size. The only problem I have is I operate on the coast and the blades don't last long because of the sand. I asked the local dealer and they told me you can't get a conversion kit to use swing back blades.... so I made my own have been using it for about 2 weeks. The mower is even better now

Date PurchasedAug 2016
mark
markwollongong

some doubts

This is a good mower for suburban lawns.
My problem arises because I ventured out from the lawn. This mower is designed for US conditions: rich soil, high rainfall, tall grass not so many rocks. Australia is not so kind. I've hit a rock and bent the crank shaft. Honda will not replace the engine in Australia, so this $1500 investment is now useless.Poor after sales service from Honda in this country.
not happy.
Mark

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Fantastic mower

Best mower I have ever had. It's an amazing machine. Starts first time every time and it's fairly easy to manuvore. The engine is huge with plenty of grunt. I would highly recommend this machine to anyone from weekend mower to contractor. The gearbox on these things are also fantastic.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
James
JamesGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Absolutely fantastic!!

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Darren Allanasked
HRX217HYU (Recoil Start)

Hi all. Has anyone found that they have trouble with the grass blowing out sideways from under the deck on thin grass I've been told that this model is only suited to thicker longer grass. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Consumer555

Never. I cut just about everything on 2.0 or 2.5 height.

Darren Allan

No worries thanks for that Consumer555 I appreciate you taking the time to answer

beads
beads

Hi Darren,
Yes the mower blows grass out from under the deck continuously. I find I have to mow in one direction so I can attempt to pick up the "blown out" grass the next time around. As indicated in my review I have to mow over the lawn 2 to 3 times to pick up the cuttings. I would not buy this model again.

Ian Jasked
HRX217HYU (Recoil Start)

There are three self propelled versions, one has what looks like you use your thumbs to drive, another has a rotary knob selector in the middle and the last is a rod with a yellow button on it, which is the best to use?

Bellakelpie
Bellakelpie

The mower I purchased is the one with the yellow button on the lever. ( HRX217) That button is pushed in to engage the blade while the motor is running. The mower with the drive levers is the HRR216 and comes in 2 versions. One with a Blade brake and the other with an Engine brake. I am not familiar with a mower with a knob selector, unless you refer to the mulch selector lever (which has a green knob on the end of it) which is feature of the HRX 217 model. If it is a black knob, then that is the fuel tank cap on the HRU196 and 216 models. The latter are designed for the commercial market. Which is best? I guess that is a personal thing. None of these mowers are light, which is why I chose a self propelled version. As my wife will use it from time to time, I also went for the electric start as she is just not strong enough to pull start a mower engine.

One was Hydrostatic drive Then there was a select drive Then there
was a smart drive

stapo
stapoasked
HRX217HYU (Recoil Start)

Can you get gripper wheel treads, ie rubber and not the plastic ones provided. have been looking at reviews and have looked at this model at Honda dealer in Ballina, NSW and am keen to purchase. Only issue is I have a large lawn with sloppy sections

stapo53@bigpond.com

Drew
Drew

I have seen people put screws into the rear wheels for extra traction

Ray

Yes my 217 slips easily particularly if near full. You tend to have to give it a shove along often on even small slopes

Compare all 4 Honda HRX217
Number of Blades2
Weight43.6 kg
Engine / Motor
Engine NameHonda GCV200 OHV/OHC
Engine TypeOHC (Overhead Cam) and OHV (Overhead Valve)
BrandHonda