Honda HRX217

7 questions from our users

JETasked

HRX217

Has anyone found a practical solution to adjusting the height on the rear wheels? I am constantly struggling with this, not to mention the poor skin on my knuckles would appreciate it. Ive tried lifting the mower which sometimes helps a bit but not always. Seems like a design defect to me?

Ray

I found it easier to put a brick under each corner and take the weight off the wheels to adjust the height then when I got it right just take it off the bricks. Its a bit like the clutch. It was a nuisance holding it all the time so I use piece of velcro tape . A couple of wraps and the clutch is on and just leave a tab up to unwind it quickly if you want.

Gregasked

HRX217

can not move lever across from bag to mulch what causes this. Greg

JET

Greg, I suspect there is lawn caught in the bag-to-mulch sliders. Have a look from underneath and clear grass caught between 2 black plastic sliding panels.

Greg

yep that was the problem not just grass but mud as well , now that has been cleaned out. bought this mower second hand, wow what a mower would recommend to any body looking for a top mower thanks honda.

Peter B.

Peter B.asked

HRX217

Can you pull the mower backwards

Ian
Ian

Hi
You can pull the mower backwards but remember it’s designed for self propelling and therefore is a bit heavy to pull backwards on a regular basis

Hari
Hari

Hi,
Yes. It’s easily pulled backwards. It won’t propel backwards. Nothing to change, just pull back. I’m not a big person but I pull it back easy.

bushmagpie
bushmagpie

You can but it's slightly heavier than a mower that isn't self propelled.

Darren Allanasked

HRX217HYU (Recoil Start)

Hi all. Has anyone found that they have trouble with the grass blowing out sideways from under the deck on thin grass I've been told that this model is only suited to thicker longer grass. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Consumer555
Consumer555

Never. I cut just about everything on 2.0 or 2.5 height.

Darren Allan

No worries thanks for that Consumer555 I appreciate you taking the time to answer

beads
beads

Hi Darren,
Yes the mower blows grass out from under the deck continuously. I find I have to mow in one direction so I can attempt to pick up the "blown out" grass the next time around. As indicated in my review I have to mow over the lawn 2 to 3 times to pick up the cuttings. I would not buy this model again.

Ian Jasked

HRX217HYU (Recoil Start)

There are three self propelled versions, one has what looks like you use your thumbs to drive, another has a rotary knob selector in the middle and the last is a rod with a yellow button on it, which is the best to use?

Bellakelpie
Bellakelpie

The mower I purchased is the one with the yellow button on the lever. ( HRX217) That button is pushed in to engage the blade while the motor is running. The mower with the drive levers is the HRR216 and comes in 2 versions. One with a Blade brake and the other with an Engine brake. I am not familiar with a mower with a knob selector, unless you refer to the mulch selector lever (which has a green knob on the end of it) which is feature of the HRX 217 model. If it is a black knob, then that is the fuel tank cap on the HRU196 and 216 models. The latter are designed for the commercial market. Which is best? I guess that is a personal thing. None of these mowers are light, which is why I chose a self propelled version. As my wife will use it from time to time, I also went for the electric start as she is just not strong enough to pull start a mower engine.

One was Hydrostatic drive Then there was a select drive Then there
was a smart drive

stapo

stapoasked

HRX217HYU (Recoil Start)

Can you get gripper wheel treads, ie rubber and not the plastic ones provided. have been looking at reviews and have looked at this model at Honda dealer in Ballina, NSW and am keen to purchase. Only issue is I have a large lawn with sloppy sections

stapo53@bigpond.com

Drew
Drew

I have seen people put screws into the rear wheels for extra traction

Ray

Yes my 217 slips easily particularly if near full. You tend to have to give it a shove along often on even small slopes

Bert

Bertasked

HRX217HYA

I would like to know the difference between the two honda motors, 160 and the 190 please?

James
James

Hey Bert, My thoughts are that the 160 is a 160cc motor while the 190 is the 190cc version because you can feel and hear more power in tools equipped with the 190.

Honda HRX217